No rating

Xavier High School

Private | 9-12

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $925,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,070.

Posted August 10, 2011

As an alumn of this place, I can't disagree more with the majority of the negative comments I've read so far. I currently go to Stevens Institute of Technology, and Xavier definitely prepared me for many of my current and real-world responsibilities. Part of that includes growing up and facing the fact that nothing is easy. Xavier without a doubt taught me how to face this on my own. While the Science/Math academics aren't Xavier's strongsuit, it makes up for it with sociability and character programs such as CFX, Kairos/Magis, and JROTC. The parents who do not approve of the JROTC do not understand the fact that it is an option your son chooses to take. On average there are 300-350 Cadets enrolled, there are nearly 1,000 students at Xavier, if not more. Great school, good teachers, repremanding staff, hands down. Xavier is a powerhouse for leaders.

Posted April 20, 2011

I disagree totally with the review below. It is quite the opposite. Though many students participate in the JROTC program, it is far from a 'military factory' or even a military school for that matter It is among not only the best schools in Manhattan and NYC, but even New York State altogether. A Xavier education is something to be extremely proud of, as it remains one of the most selective schools in New York.

Posted March 21, 2011

I am a graduate of Xavier (Aug. 1944), and thank God for my Jesuit education. As a matter of fact, I am inordinately proud of the way those good priests and lay instructors labored to form our brains while at the same time informimg us. My four years at Xavier were some of the happiest and intellecually rewarding years of my life. It was a great introduction to and preparation for the world and university.

Posted March 18, 2011

I am a student at Xavier who will tell you straight up that attending this school over one like Xaverian,etc was the best decision I have ever made.You are going to have some slackers just like in any work place, but Xavier does a great job kicking all of those kids out. The person below me is wrong. I've learned during my time in Xavier that the only way a person can grow is through their own failure. Yes it is a" daily grind" and the train rides to and from school get tedious after a while, but its that grind and hard work which separates Xavier students from others.Once when the train switched tracks and I was with my friends, it was me not them who knew how to navigate my way around the city and back home. As far as financial aid goes, a student can knock off anywhere from $1,000 - $6,000 by working in the Head Masters Office during the summer (1,000 knocked off per week) or during free periods from school start - finish. Yes, HW can be a major pain in the rear at times especially when you get home late from school bc of extracurriculars but like i said before its that daily battle that separates Xavier from other people. Work hard Fresh. yr build ur GPA then as best u can.

Posted March 4, 2011

My son is a Junior at Xavier and loves the school, he calls it his other home. He often tells me that it's going too fast and that he doesn't want to leave.

Posted January 13, 2011

As a sophomore, I have to disagree with the review below this one. Xavier has not only proved to be a challenge mentally, but a challenge physically and emotionally; a quality that more schools in the tri-state should acquire. Xavier's tuition, being approximately $12,000, might appear as a lot; however, the school supplies each student with financial aid, up to $6,000, if applied for. In reality, the schools tuition is approximately $6,000 if you receive the full amount of financial aid. The teachers at Xavier, for the most part, are brilliant. Each teacher allows each student to experience different styles of teaching, which not only enables the student to become accustomed to what style he actually prefers, but also makes each class unique and fun. Xavier has a high standard of academics, and that shows. With 99.5% of the graduating class continuing to a four year college, a $12, 000 ($6000 with financial aid), and a high standard of academics, how can someone say no to Xavier High School?

Posted September 9, 2010

I graduated from Xavier almost 40 years ago. Not a day goes by that I am not grateful for the education, discipline, Intergity and compassion taught to me and my classmates at this outstanding institution. If your son every has the opportunity to attend this school I would suggest it will be one of the finest investments you will ever make. The list of graduates and their accomplisments across the entire spectrum would make one gawk; whether that gradute be a Doctor, Judge, Policeman, Soldier, Fireman, Statesman or Businessman. Regardless of their position, they will be the one of the best at what they do. With a Xavier education, your son will have opportunites few others will have. The advantages they will have over their peers from other schools makes it not seem fair.

Posted June 3, 2010

A great school with an overinflated reputation and ego. Academics, teachers, and students are all excellent but the administration and board of trustees seem to forget that it is the students that make the school great. Parents seem to think that Xavier is far better than it actually is. Xavier is a great place to go to school, but if your son gets into Stuyvesant, Brooklyn Tech, or Bronx Science, save yourself some money and send him to one of these top schools. And parents that say Xavier is a better academic high school than Regis have been seriously misinformed.

Posted May 17, 2010

This is a great Jesuit High School in Manhattan. It has a good curriculum, diverse and smart students. Boys are very courteous. Academically challenging with lots of homework and research papers. The school has JROTC (Junior ROTC) that my son joined in his first two years which gave him leaderships skills. JUDD (a version of detention) is a way of deciplining and seems effective. Teachers are very professional, caring and responsive to your emails and questions. Homeworks are all posted in the website and there are parent emails so you can correspond online. My son met a number of great friends and loves their film club.

Posted April 23, 2010

Undeniable academic reputation and very selective admissions. It may even be harder to stay in than get in. It may agruably be the best Catholic high school for boys in the NYC area when weighing in the combination of discipline, academic rigor, and the respectability of award winning departments in music and art. They have national military distinction and over 50 sports and organizations. Their alumni include a US Supreme Court Justice, a New Jersey mayor, a legendary weather and television personality, and presidents of WNBC, the US Postal Service, and Annheiser Busch for straters. Tough act to compete with in the education department.

Posted March 28, 2010

Graet academics with a lot of every decicated teachers, butyou have a few abusive ones which the administration protects liek the priests portect thier own.. abit unsettling. They are also not very Jesuit and honest. A bit ridgid nd a bit self priclaimed to be superios.. it is not., but is is a safe environment..dont expect more than that

Posted March 5, 2010

One big happy family. Students are enthused about attending this school and has a well organized alumni support.

Posted June 25, 2009

Xavier is unique but not perfect. The faculty is dedicated, the academics top shelf. The administration is disappointing since they do not put into practice their men for others motto. Honesty is punished. If you are not a good sneak, or perfect beware.

Posted July 9, 2008

instead of just developing the mind or body alone, Xavier combines all possible learning together to create a man for others that any parent could be proud of. My son loved the school and would not be happier any place else. the tough workload is not for the faint of heart, but endows the ability upon the student to succed in any arena he chooses to enter. i love to hear it when other parents choose xavier for their children, and although there are those who fail to succeed there, it is only after repeated warnings that they are asked to leave. this creates a more positive atmosphere for those who absolutly try your hardest. although it is not meant for everyone, those who are willing to attempt the curriculum and expect no free ride turn out better then any other high school students in the city

Posted May 30, 2008

An outstanding school academically, athletically, spiritually and socially. I highly recommend it to parents looking for an intellectual haven for their children. Parents, be forewarned, Xavier is not a place for slackers and shirkers. Academics are rigorous and discipline is strict.

Posted February 27, 2008

I am a graduate of Xavier. The school was truly a life changing experience for me. At Xavier, I met and became life long friends with then boys of every ethnic and economic group who were there only because of having passed the same entrance exam. I learned that hard work, integrity and personal responsibility were the keys to success in all aspects of life. Xavier is truly an elite school not a school which merely produces elitists.

Posted February 21, 2008

The best decision I ever made was to select xavier high school as one of my choices on my tachs examination form. I am currently a sophomore at xavier and I'm as happy as a lark with the school atmosphere: intellectual, scholarly, disciplined, orderly, athletic, moral and jesuit. I highly recommend the school to any and all of my peers - it's the best high school in nyc.

Posted January 28, 2008

I am an alumnus of this school and received exceptional academic instruction while there. I went on to attend Cornell University and Harvard Graduate School. Xavier provides an excellent academic setting with above average teachers, numerous sports and other activities. In college and graduate school I truly felt prepared for all academic challenges. This is one of the best high schools in NYC!

Posted January 22, 2008

I'm currently a sophomore at Xavier High School and I feel I am attending the greatest school in the world. While the discipline is exacting and the academics intense, the camaraderie of an all-boys school is fantastic. In addition, the team sports, JROTC unit, and club activities make the school unique among NYC private schools.

Posted January 5, 2008

I have a PhD in Educational Policy and specialize in secondary school curricula. As an educational administrator for federal government, I've had the pleasure of visiting, analyzing and rating elite schools for the U.S. Dept. of Education. Xavier High School in NYC has consistently outperformed most schools in its class and continues to be an oasis of academic excellence in a vast sea of mediocrity.

Asian 6% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Michael Livigni
  • All boys
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • JSEA
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York