Xavier High School

Private | 9-12 | 1021 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $925,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,070.

Sweep tile

Posted January 27, 2014

Anyone who tells you that Xavier is an accepting place is either in utter denial or too ignorant to understand anyone's perspective other than their own. There is one and only one type of person who is socially accepted at Xavier: hyper-masculine athletes. The environment of this school is literally like a jail cell-- it's bully or get bullied, and for many people it's both. If you are gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning, you will literally live in an everyday cycle of humiliation and ridicule. Xavier puts bullying on a whole different level. I'm not just talking about poking fun and joking around, I'm talking about the kind of harassment that will cause your sense of self-worth to plummet to rock bottom and stay there for years after you graduate. On a purely academic level, Xavier's merit is debatable. Overall it's good, but overrated. One of the deep secrets of Catholic schools is that teachers don't have to be certified. Most teachers at Xavier are either fresh out of college or old and lazy because they have tenure. It fosters an ambitious atmosphere in terms of college acceptance, but not in terms of personal growth or intellectual pursuit.

Posted December 29, 2013

I have mixed feelings about Xavier. When I applied to Xavier as a Freshman, I had dreams of going to a prestigious high school with great academics, and Xavier has that... Kind of. I was offered a scholarship through the Ignatian Scholars Program, and this system gives you a rigorous education that thoroughly prepares you for college. However, it breeds pretentiousness and laziness, for if one isn't already a hard working student, the feeling of prestige that one gets won't encourage hard work, it will give more of a sense of comfort, a padding that you have, because one is apart of the perceived elite. And with everyone at the school, the long history and tradition breeds a preppy atmosphere. There are great communal benefits to that history, though. Xavier is a good choice if you have already planned out your route to college and plan to take very strong extracurriculars, but if not, maybe it is not the best choice. It is a school where you make your own decision, which I guess is good. The best thing about this school is the teachers. The teachers care about their students and they have a lot of expertise in their field. The Jesuits are great. As for the administration, well...

Posted November 26, 2013

Awesome! Teachers are great and so is the way Xavier teaches you to become ready for your years in college and later in life. I made a great decision to go here and could not have been happier if with the commute from NJ.

Posted October 4, 2013

I don't understand why people would give this school any rating below 4. Most of the "downsides" here are totally wrong. 1) They do not hate gays, and they actually have a Gay-Straight alliance group. 2) They are not racists, and they have a very low tolerance for racism. But I do agree that they are very strict. They're quick to give JUG (their form of detention). They also said they'd expel you for bad mouthing them. I guess that makes sense though, but it's harsh. If you join JROTC and stick with it all 4 years, they give you 32 college credits. I'm serious, they just bumped that number up. And the credits come from the government, as motivation to be respectable citizens. I'm glad I picked Xavier over schools like Edmunds and Xavarian. I feel that Xavier will be my biggest asset when I'm applying for college. Between the prestige the school has developed since 1847 and all the credits I'll accumulate from JROTC and AP courses, I should have no problem getting where I want. I highly recommend the school. If you do come, seriously consider the JROTC. I hate the military and would never join it, but join JROTC for the credits. 32 is, I believe, a full year.

Posted August 16, 2013

I attended Xavier HS briefly in the early 60s. I had followed the family tradition of being a Xavier student just as my Uncles in the early 20s and my older brother in the 50s. I was an impetuous student eager to learn how to wrap myself in that Maroon and Blue which would carry me like my older family into a great tradition that was to be a Xavier graduate and the assured success that being an alumnus would certainly bring. You younger students will appreciate that Xavier was a military school with discipline that more than rivaled being in the service of our country-drill every day -range once a week and jug for some more than others. I regrettably found myself in that category for one infraction that would not enable me to be a Son. As the 50th anniversary class of which I would have been a part, I reflect on the poor judgement of myself and I believe also the recently departed Prefect of Discipline of Xavier at that time. Xavier HS to those who have experienced its excellence in preparing for life will always appreciate those who successfully helped mold them.

Posted August 12, 2013

As a parent of a '13 grad, I can say that Xavier is possibly the best all boys HS in the NYC area. Xavier has very high academic standards, the educators / instructors are top notch, and the advisors who head up the JROTC regiment and the religious departments truly live by the motto "men for others". The sports teams are competitive, and there is something for everyone. If you are looking for a top school to prepare your son for college, and also strengthen christian virtues of service to others, then Xavier is the school for you. I can go on with my praise, but let the college acceptances speak for themselves - MIT, USNA, USMA, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, CalTech. Cal Berkeley, Boston U, Boston College, Fordham, Gettysburg, etc, etc. with scholarships. My son loved it, played 3 sports, formed friendships that will stand the test of time, respected his instructors and is receiving a free college education at a top university because of the excellence @ Xavier. If your son is up to the challenge, you cannot go wrong. Oh, great extra curricular activities as well !!!!

Posted July 27, 2013

In answer to some of the complainers,especially present students,maybe Xavier was wrong school for you.I graduated in 1954. I came from a Hispanic family in South Bronx.the Jrotc was mandatory.i was not an athlete ,just an average poor kid.The discipline & study habits that were forced on me served me well at Boston college & professional school .I thank Xavier for the great start they gave me to having a successful life. MAN UP DO THE WORK

Posted December 18, 2012

The academics offered at Xavier is superb and top notch. The sports department is top notch. Teachers here are awesome. However, if you are Jewish, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Arab looking, a advocate for LGBT rights, like listening to Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, or One Direction, not very manly, very feminine, have a high voice, have very liberal ideas, and unique and weird, don't bother being accepted by others. People here are very judgmental and mean. The school had to shut down the online Math Textbook because some students were drawing swastikas in the online math textbook and a friend of mine transferred because he could not deal with the bullying, since he is a questioning person. If Xavier can make the school environment more accepting for the people I mentioned above, I might consider giving Xavier 5 stars. However, based only on academics and sports, Xavier gets 5 stars, However, for the school environment and acceptance, 2 stars.

Posted December 2, 2012

As a current Xavier student, I completely disagree with everything negative in this comment. My theory as to why there are so many negative comments, obviously submitted by the same person, is that most the legitimate Xavier graduates and students are out doing productive work, rather than bad-mouthing a school on a website. Xavier is an amazing high school with great academics, athletics, and community. It is a 100% safe learning environment for students of many varieties. Go Knights!

Posted November 23, 2012

If you want your son to be subjected to extreme homophobia and severe bullying then by all means enroll him in Xavier. My four years spent in the supposedly hallowed halls of "16th street" left me devoid of confidence and trust in my fellow man. Our Lord Jesus' stressed "love your neighbor as you love yourself" as our most important commandment. I can say in all honesty this most golden of rules was all but ignored during my tenure at Xavier. The lack of compassion and understanding exhibited by not only the peer pressure fueled student body but also by a large portion of the mainly Xavier produced faculty leaves me with no choice but to advise prospective students and their parents that unless they are cookie cutter athletes or drones subject to mob mentality please make a different choice for high school. Individuality and showing any signs of diversity or being different will only lead to four years of heartache and despair. I only pray that ome day the "maroon and blue "will see everyone through and that no matter how different one may be all sons of Xavier will be able to be united (as the school song says) in their "march onward to glory and victory."

Posted September 25, 2012

It has become quite apparent that the same "student" is giving Xavier one star on multiple reviews. First of all, 1400 students apply each year for one of Xavier High Schools 250 seats. That throws water on the "easy admissions" comment. As a legitimate Xavier alumnus, I can speak on behalf of my fellow "Sons of Xavier" when I say you should have done us a favor and went to Dalton. Your family could have paid 42,000 in tuition and spared you the discipline which you could not handle, the Regents exemption which Xavier has earned, and the 170 years of class and distinction that you do not exhibit.

Posted September 14, 2012

As a graduate of XHS,I am pained to read the negative reviews, proportedly written by current Xavier students,not only due to their content,but also as to their form.I say "purportedly written" because it is difficult to fathom how any student with such poor writing skills could have been accepted for admission, or remained there for any protracted period of time.Since 1847, Xavier has prepared young men academically, socially and spiritually to become captains in areas of professionalism including: industry,academia,law,medicine,military, clergy,literature and engineering, to name a few.The heights to which Xavier grads have soared are: one of the nine sitting US Supreme Court Judges,television personaities,Pulitzer Price winning authors, Generals, Admirals,inter alia.Hand holding,conversely,is NOT an activity that our parents thought,or desired,would take place upon sending us to Xavier. Xavier foments the growth of character, intellectual independence, spiritual/ physical development and of the attainment of aspirations.As the father of a 12yr old son, my daily prayers include a petition that he be considered sufficiently qualified for admission there. Rene Medina, Esq., XHS '73

Posted June 19, 2012

Xavier is the second best Catholic High School in New York after Regis. 1400 kids compete for 250 seats each year. 99.5% go on to 4 year colleges and universities including 9 to IVY schools in 2011 along with 7 to West Point. It looks like the few "sour grapes" who tried to pan it here probably failed out or never embraced 170 years of academic excellence that include US Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, NYC Mayor Jimmy Walker, Jersey City Mayor Jeremiah Healy, NBC personalities Al Roker and Mike Gargiuolo, Anheuser Busch President Pat Stokes, and FOX 5 journalist Mike Sheehan as grads. The school is a Blue Ribbon School with a nationally ranked JROTC program, Rugby Team, and a band that twice was named best marching unit. If you can match that history with any other school in NYC, I am all ears.

Posted May 27, 2012

Xavier is a legend in its own mind. The negative reviews speak the truth: it is far from what it presents itself to be. Living off an undeserved reputation - as if it still is what it was in the 30s-60s. It ceased being a real Catholic school by the early 70s. They used to have 40 Jesuits; now perhaps 3 on faculty (if that....). They only care about the football gods & apple polishers. Oh, its a breeding ground for the elite....and the self-serving. The oppressive amount of homework will not make you a better person, nor will it 'educate' you. Honesty is punished; be warned! Faculty is mostly these due to friends in the alumni office or administration, not because of quality. And all they want from you is money, money & more money. As an alumnus, I know! Save your $$; go to Bronx Science or Stuyvesant. You will be glad you did.

Posted May 3, 2012

I am currently a sophomore at Xavier now and I would definitely reconsider going here. I hate this school. Its filled with a bunch of tools and stuck up white kids. Also the teachers want you to have no social life what so ever judging by the amount of homework the give a night. Unless you want your son doing at least 3 hours of homework a night. Also they are really quick to kick you out. If your grades start slipping they will kick you out at anytime and leave stuck trying to find somewhere to go in the middle of the year. And they always talk about being such a great Jesuit school meanwhile we don't get off for any of the holy days of obligation. So while your friends from catholic school are off you will be in school. Definitely reconsider!

Posted March 4, 2012

how does this awful school hold on to 5 stars. they have ruined my self esteem. they have taken away my confidence. No teacher takes an interest in the students unless they are the popular athletes. I am so unhappy here. Look somewhere else. You will be happy you did

Posted January 5, 2012

I second the two previous comments below. I kick myself everyday for not taking the oppertunity to transfer as a sophomore. Xavier has molded me to become more introverted and secluded because I don't belong to their typical groups.Please visit and look elsewhere.

Posted September 11, 2011

Would like to counter some of the negative comments. '81 alumni. Puerto Rican kid out of Bushwick Brooklyn (no silver spoon). Xavier prepared me well for life and gave me solid foundations upon which to be successful. Strong academic, ethical and leadership experience. Great school if you want to work hard, stess oneself and build confidence in one's ability. Later attended West Point and was selected for fully funded masters program and served as an instructor at the Academy. Served 20 years (never felt pressed in that direction by my experience at Xavier). Those complaining about a poor experience invariably didn't succeed and hold the institution responsible for their shortcoming. I don't know any successful people that have that attitude. Others state another school is superior with ZERO evidence. Talk with the staff and the students and make up your own mind. Wouldn't you want your son to do that when he becomes a man?

Posted September 11, 2011

The very best experience of my life. Next year, my class will celebrate our 50th anniversary and we are all to a man, thankful for our shared experience at Xavier. We meet every year because we value the friendships we made there and to reinforce our support of what Xavier means to us. The Jesuits and lay teachers were totally committed to not only teaching us, but also to molding us into caring, compassionate young men. The JROTC reinforced the Jesuit mission and the discipline that was needed by many of us, and still is today. There are other good schools in NYC, but only Xavier improves a young man's character in addition to providing a very challenging college preparatory education in an institution with a 164 year tradition. the detractors are either students who could not measure up or parents who are not able to see the shortcomings are in their child, not the school.

Posted August 10, 2011

As an alumn of this place, I can't disagree more with the majority of the negative comments I've read so far. I currently go to Stevens Institute of Technology, and Xavier definitely prepared me for many of my current and real-world responsibilities. Part of that includes growing up and facing the fact that nothing is easy. Xavier without a doubt taught me how to face this on my own. While the Science/Math academics aren't Xavier's strongsuit, it makes up for it with sociability and character programs such as CFX, Kairos/Magis, and JROTC. The parents who do not approve of the JROTC do not understand the fact that it is an option your son chooses to take. On average there are 300-350 Cadets enrolled, there are nearly 1,000 students at Xavier, if not more. Great school, good teachers, repremanding staff, hands down. Xavier is a powerhouse for leaders.

Asian 6% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Michael Livigni
  • All boys
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • JSEA
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York