Incarnation School

Private | PK-8 | 416 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $373,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,230.

Sweep tile

Posted October 2, 2013

This is by far the worst school I have ever seen. This school has a 53.6% black student body and yet the faculty is made up of old white teachers. The school is in need of proper leadership, because both the teachers and principe dos'nt seem to care about the students. Parents are not respected and the teachers label the kids in the school. The teachers are all conditioned to dehumanized the kids under their care. Some of the teachers use preferential treatment toward some students. Once they lable you child as bad the lable sticks with the child, and all the teachers join in with the dehumanizing of the child. I would not recommend this school to anyone, and my advice to the parents who have children in this school is to take their child out of this school before it is to late. I feel sorry for parents who enroll their child in this school. My child was tormented by the teachers everyday was a complain for the slightest reasons; his education was neglected by the teachers, the child was unhappy at this school. So I finally had to pull him out and We are both satisfied with my desicion. I will not be surprise if one day a parent file a law suit against the school and facility.

Posted July 10, 2013

The worse school I have ever seen poor education, the new administration just want money

Posted May 29, 2013

This school has declined over the years. Parents concerns are disregarded. Communication with parents is poor. Some of the teachers, specially the older ones appear tired, unhappy teaching, offer little motivation, don't show love for the job they do. The school's sports department is very weak. Very few students have the opportunity to participate in organized sports.

Posted May 1, 2013

I have had my son in this school since Pre-K and while he is doing well academically I know that it is because I am on top of his assignments and tests. The classrooms are overcrowded, the teachers are overwhelmed and the Administration is disconnected. Unfortunately once the Administration changed so did the school, the new leaders are weak and only seem to be concerned about the finances. You ask for meetings with them and are either brushed off or ignored and the meeting is never set up. Until last year I was satisfied with school but this school year has left only bad experiences.

Posted August 21, 2012

I attended Incarnation; I met my husband there and my life long friends. My son attends the school and I love it and he does as well. The principal Ms. Pechin and VP Lee are very receptive to me and my son. They personally greet each child by name in the morning. Ms. Morales in the first floor office is always helpful. The afternoon problems are diverse and well organized. The school increase with age, I find that my son gets the support he needs. His talents and his intelligence is challenged and nurture.

Posted June 21, 2012

I graduated Incarnation in 1995. I have nothing good to say about this school. Only attended 7th and 8th grade. Teachers did not support the honor roll students and showed favoritism towards the basketball players. Despite being in the honor roll in Incarnation, I was significantly behind in reading/grammar skills when entering highschool. I required tutoring during the first 2 months in order to catch up to other students.

Posted May 22, 2012

Incarnation School has changed for the worst. For the last two years the school has been under new supervision. The new principal and vice principal are more concern about enrolling new student into the over crowed class rooms. There main goal is to fine new fees to charge the parents all year around. A good amount of kids are failing and have no help in getting any type of after school tutoring. The teachers are not really motivated to teach. The principal and vice principal needs to care more about the students, teachers and parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted September 24, 2011

This school use to be better but many parents don't feel that way anymore. This school needs to focus on each child its a small school and too many students get low grades. Teachers need to support them and the principal needs to be more involved with parents. My son had to attend tutoring classes because he fell behind being in the school. The school needs to improve.

Posted July 13, 2011

I am an alumni of this school. Class of '70. The best years of my life were spent at Incarnation. The late Monsignor Waterson, the Priests, the nuns and the lay teachers were all wonderful. Not to mention my classmates and friends. I even found the love of my life there (we were 8 years old and in 2nd grade) and we are together today (after 48 years). My experience at Incarnation and the memories I hold will forever be treasured.

Posted March 9, 2010

This school has it's good things about it. Compared to the public education choices that are out there in the Heights, this is a good option for parents. Now the down side, at least one I feel is a downside, is that the school does not offer language courses. It is very important for kids to learn a second language. Just because they live in W.H. doesn't mean all kids know Spanish, especially if they were born and raised in the U.S. Another downside, from my own experience, is that I feel that the teachers are not forthcoming with the parents when it comes to discussing possible issues with a student, and when questioned, the teachers seem to take offense. It's the teachers job to keep the parents informed and the parents job to make sure that they are informed. This school seriously needs a PTA.

Posted February 25, 2010

I feel that if a parent iis working with the teacher to encourage the child, the teacher should do more to help the child instead of seaming like the are giving up on them or that they are a lost cause. Every child should be felt to feel important.

Posted February 23, 2010

The staff here is not caring at all. They treat the parents and caregivers horribly. Staff who should not have any authority some how run the school. I would not recommend this school for anyone unless they like an arrogant staff.

Posted March 25, 2009

two of my boys and my girl graduated from this school my younger boy is currently attending also All my niece and nephews. The teachers and the staff are very attentive of the children. I am very satisfy of their perfomance. I highly recommend this school

Posted June 17, 2008

i just graduated from this school.i have attend this school for 7 year,i will recommend it to anyone.i know that incarnation is a life changing journey
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 26, 2007

My daughter has been going to Incarnation School since Kindergarten & I think that the school has their good & bad quality. For a catholic school in Washington Heights(which is not one of the best neighborhood to live in), Incarnation has taught my daughter to do well academically. My daughter has always been in the honor rolls many times & the principal roll (once) since 1st grade. Incarnation involvement with the students is to help them achieve their goals and become a better and respectful person. The faculty, staff, teacher and principal tries very hard to provide a safe and pleasant environment. Incarnation poor quality is parents involvement such as PTA meeting and helping low income families to find out ways to get grant for tuition.

Posted June 19, 2007

This is a great school.The teachers are always taking care of their children.They have many activities for our children.Although Washignton Heights is not a good place to have children grow up but Incarnation enrolls them in activities to keep away from bad.This is one of the best private school.I'm happy of having my child here and my nephews are here too.It's a great school!

Posted May 14, 2007

I am a former Incarnation school student and it was the most memorable experience for me growing up. Incarnation is a great school with a great faculty and staff. I will always remember Incarnation!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 21, 2005

This a very large school. I had my child in this school for one year and I was not too thrilled with the outcome. I think when it comes to academics they fall slightly behind. I have heard that as the grades go up, it gets better but I was not willing to take the chance.

Asian N/A 6%
Asian 0% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (212) 795-1564

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York