No rating

Immaculate Conception School

Private | PK-8 | 240 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $607,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,620.

Posted October 12, 2014

We recently enrolled our daughter at this school for kindergarten and could not be happier. The principal is wonderful and the front office staff could not be more friendly or helpful. Our daughter is developing beautifully and we cannot wait until our son is old enough to enroll. So happy to be a part of the community of ICS!

Posted September 22, 2014

I am a parent of Immaculate and my spouse and I are very happy with the academics our child has received. As for the professionalism of the Principal she is not informative at all nor is the main office. I have witness the Principal and the Secretary speak to parents in a rude manner and have even belittle parents. The children pray every morning which a wonderful but parents are thrown out of the gym rather than encouraging parents to join them in prayer. As a Catholic parent we strongly should be ask to stay to support and continue to instill the Catholic values in our children.

Posted September 21, 2014

Our experience -- with three children -- at Immaculate has been completely different from that which the previous two parents describe. We can't feel happier than to have found this wonderful school! Our oldest was very well prepared for high school, and each if them were well prepared for the NY State Tests, bringing home scores to show it. Teachers are wonderful -- that is true. But a cold and distant front office? Are you sure it is Immaculate being written about? The principal can't be more welcoming, friendly, informative, and supportive of the entire school community. The office staff is equally professional. This school provides great academics and wonderful Catholic values. So glad to be a part of it!

Posted September 12, 2014

I have just enrolled my daughter in the school and while her teacher is very nice and informative , the front end office is not. To say the principal is welcoming and friendly would be a huge overstatement . The principal was very cold towards the students and does not seem to enjoy working with children. Not sure if I will keep my child enrolled. I want an environment where I feel like everyone is there for the same reason and that reason is our children achieving academic success. Major downfall of this school is the principal and front office.

Posted September 11, 2014

I am a new parent at this school. From my first impression the office is unfriendly and unwelcoming. The Principal is not friendly. On the first day of school she made my wife and I leave our child, who is new to the school, while she was crying. Parents were clueless to the procedures and what was going to happen. It was complete choas. I expected a warm welcome and greeting from the principal which was not what was received. We were told by another parent who is not new to the school that a warm greeting from the principal and will never be received and this is why several parents have pulled out their children. We are discussing whether this was the right school for our child.

Posted January 19, 2014

Being a former parent of a graduate from Immaculate Conception, the school prepared our child for High School. She started from Pre-K and worked all the way to graduation in 8th grade. The teachers, teacher's aids, and all the support staff are warm and welcoming. They have the best interest of the students in mind. I constantly send any families looking for a great school to check out ICS. You won't be disappointed!

Posted April 25, 2013

As an alumni of ICS, I have to say, it's a great school. That being said, you really have to take an open house to see if it's best for your child. The elementary school is fantastic, yet the middle school lacks. Mr. Stark is the best teacher for the middle school; he knows his stuff and I can honestly say his tips for high school has helped me so much. The others are great, but the administration lets ANYONE in these days. I mean the kids who have bad attitudes, etc. They really need to fix that, because ICS has gained a bad rep for this. Honestly, I think ICS is a school with great potential, but hey, the parish is FANTASTIC!

Posted March 18, 2013

My child is attending Immaculate Conception School. He loves the school and teachers!- They are caring and warm. As a parent, I know what he is learning not like some other schools he attended. The kids are nice. The teachers take their time to explain to the students the material. This is important .. As for the lunches , all of the schools within NYC have the same lunches. The lunches are part of the board of ed. The principal is nice and approachable.

Posted December 8, 2012

The education at ics is very good and it is a very challenging school , but if you are a basketball star or enjoy extracurricular activities this isn't the right place for u. recess is terrible , lunch is terrible , specials are terrible (except for gym)very nice teachers though

Posted November 24, 2012

I must say, we picked this school because it is Catholic, and it is close to our house. Our daughter goes to K there, and she tells me the teacher's assistant, the lady that is old and has blonde hair, yells at them all day long, and is always upset. The had head lice three times this year, and parents were never notified. This school fails to take their responsibility toward childhood seriously. She often complains that the teachers don't let them play, and when they are allowed to play, they can't pick which toys to play with, the teacher picks the toys and brings them to each table. How good can a school who does that for five year olds be? My daughter knows her abc's, I picked this school so she could play, and be in a healthy and safe environment while she learns to socialize through play, but she hardly ever gets to do that.

Posted October 21, 2012

We are very proud and honored to be a part of Immaculate Conception School since 2009. Mrs. Barry is a warm and caring principal who has instilled a great curriculum at ICS. It is a true pleasure talking with Mrs. Barry; she has brought excellence to this school and knows each and every child at ICS. Every teacher is teaching the children to the highest of their abilities and brings out the greatest in each child. They really care about your child s well-being and education. Also Josephine has such a warm and wonderful presence with a positive outlook and goes above and beyond for all. We are grateful for our son's education at ICS. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND ALL to Immaculate Conception School.

Posted June 12, 2012

Such a pleasant experience at ICS! I couldn't be more happier with the quality of academics and environment. ICS is truly like family for the students and parents. My four-year old daughter is in the PreK 4 class and she loves it! Lots of parent involvement and activities for the students. Homework is given Monday-Thursday and the teachers provide frequent updates on their progress.

Posted November 13, 2011

I love ISC!! Everyone is so friendly and nice! They back you 100% on the goals you want to accomplish no matter what it is! They are always overjoyed to help you! I will be sad to leave here this year as I am graduating but I know I am well prepared for high school! Thanks to everyone at ISC! I love you!

Posted September 18, 2011

Over the last few years the new principal has adapted well to her new position within the school,(She was a teacher there prior to becoming principal). She has made many positive changes, both physical to the interior of the school itself, and academically, with new and improved programs. Afterschool programs have been enhanced, new and modern libraries have been created, new equipment was added to the computer lab, the foreign language program has been expanded, and the recently created (4 years ago) science lab, continues to be updated. The science lab is fun and educational....my child loves science because of the lab. Teachers are all experienced and have many years of service to the school. The 8th grade teacher does a great job of HS test prep and getting the kids into the High Schools most fitted for their academc abilities. Social events for the kids have always been well organized by the parent's association. The parents association is very underrepresented and the majority of the work always seems to involve the same handful of dedicated parents who somehow manage to put together some of the most amazing parties and dances. The kids talk about them for days.

Posted February 14, 2011

My son is in the early childhood program (Pre-K) at ICS and I think they do a great job. Homework everyday which my son loves and uniforms for the 4 year olds. And most important......he loves going everyday!

Posted May 6, 2010

This is a fantastic school. All the teachers (and staff) love what they do. See the children to determine the quality of the school for yourself! I met the previous principal several times; she was a dedicated and bright person. The current principal is every bit as good. The current principal taught at Immaculate for many years before she became Principal, she has been longer at this school than the old principal was, she is intimately familiar with what makes Immaculate tick. I have found her to be attentive to parents and children, conscientious and caring, and easily approachable, no problems whatsoever in getting quick access. Also, the school Father is warm and kind to all. I visited about a dozen Catholic schools before settling on this one, this school is especially good on academics. If you want your child to excel, look no farther, enroll your little one here!

Posted November 29, 2009

I miss Ms.Vincent so much. I wish she would come back. The school was better with her around. Also, this school has very few activities. It should include more activities. The auditorium should be seperate from the gym. Why are they the same room. You pay so much money to enroll your child but you don't get much back. Nothing has changed. But on the bright side they throw awesome parties!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 24, 2009

I was a former student in this school. After I went to High School, I realized that what I was taught was no good after a couple of days into the year. The math and science courses are very weak, but the english and ss courses are strong though. The matter of the fact that the school is decent for lower grade students but when it comes to middle school, 6th, 7th, 8th grades, the school lacks in many areas. Some of the teachers don't even know how to teach. The fact was that I was a very bright student there and the work load was to easy, and others would agree, they need to strengthen the basics and provide a language course.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 10, 2009

this school is plain awful the level of teaching is awful not o mention the new principal is completely clueless awful awful the whole school at one time this school was great but when they change there principal the school when down i would never recomend this school to anyone.

Posted August 19, 2009

I agree with one of the parents as the academic quality of this school being good but it could stand to be better, especially in the mathematics category. My child has been enrolled at this school for the last three years and I must state my disappointment within the past year with their new leadership/principal. I miss Ms. Vincent dearly as she was very attentive to the students progress and parents concerns. I have found myself the past year having to chase this principal down to get a meeting with her. Phonecalls and emails, letters were never responded to. I would have to take time from my workschedule to appear personally and basically demand a meeting with her to discuss variouis concerns. I know she was new to the school but she seemed very unorganized and unphased as to my concerns and needs. I found other parents felt the same.

Asian 15% N/A

Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

419 East 13th Street