No rating

Holy Cross School

Private | PK-8 | 20 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $808,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,970.

Posted September 20, 2011

my daughter has been enrolled here for only one month and the transition has been so easy the staffand sister Mary have been great

Posted June 22, 2010

My daughter attended Holy Cross for 3 years. As a public school teacher for over 15 years I can tell you that the leadership shown by the administration is second to none. Academically, the school is very solid. The staff makes sure that the children succeed and always keep the parents informed on the academic and personal growth of the children. My daughter is a perfect example she was an average student at most while attending public school. The public school bureaucracy had even hinted that she had special education needs . Well, let me tell you that my daughter made a 360 degree turn as soon as she started attending Holy cross. She did extremely well in all city and state tests and was accepted to one of the elite private high schools in the city! Her passion for school and her overall attitude was greatly enhanced. Great School!

Posted February 22, 2010

I am very grateful to the Holy Cross staff and their commitment to the students. My son is new to NYC and struggled at the Public School in our neighborhood. This is his first year at Holy Cross and his whole attitude about school, homework and tests have changed. He is motivated to do his homework and his grades have improved beyond expectations. Moreover, he's proud of his achievments and this has impacted positively on his self-esteem. This is a very supportive environment for kids but it's also strict and this has been invaluable for my son.

Posted November 2, 2009

This is my daughter's first year at Holy Cross School and she loves it. The teachers, and all the staff, really are wonderful. They genuinely seem to care about the kids. I was a little put-off at first by some of the comments about the lack of extracurricular activities and such, but given the size of the school and the student body (mostly commuter kids) it is understandable and the truth is they do the best with what they have. I love this school and hope to keep my daughter there for as long as possible.

Posted November 21, 2008

My son is in Pre K and it is only November and he can now write his first and last name. He knows the days of the week. The months of the year. The pledge to the flag. Many new songs and so much more. I could not imagine that they could motivate a child to learn so much in such a short period of time. He asked me two weeks ago if he could go to this school forever. I love Holy Cross. My daughter is in fifth grade and the teachers go that extra mile to ensure she understands what is going on. A+++++ school

Posted September 10, 2008

I have two children at Holy Cross . Most students at this school are commuter kids, parents who work in the area and want to have their children closer to them during the day. The teachers at HC are wonderful! My children love going to school. Sister Mary and all of the teachers are always available to discuss student progress issues or concerns. They all show that they are here to help and guide your childs education. The only thing i wish there was more of is extra curricular activited, but i think that is absent due to the student body structure. Most kids attend the aftercare program because parents work so ther isnt any room for after school sports etc.

Posted August 21, 2008

I have 2 children in Holy Cross. My oldest graduates this year. What impresses me the most is teachers stay for a long time. They form a bond with students and their parents and are truly concerned for the welfare of the child.

Posted July 10, 2008

This school has all of the makings of a GREAT School, but falls FAR SHORT. Teachers try, but it seems to shuffle kids in and out, rather than building a warm communal atmosphere. Reagrdless of the changes in the world, this is the students Alma Mater, and more should be done to instill pride in the student and family.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 29, 2008

My son attended the pre-k and they did a great job! There was a great cooperation between the teachers and the family. My son learned discipline and knwledge, fundemental steps in order to succede. I personally want to thank Ms. Berretto, Ms. Padilla and Sister Mary Theresa for the great job done.Thank you very much

Posted May 15, 2008

Holy Cross School has several teachers who are dedicated to helping the students succeed. We try our hardest to get the students to accomplish everything they need to in a year, which is why the strict discipline is needed. It would be great if more parents could be involved and offer help at home.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 28, 2008

My daughter has been there since Kindergarden...now she is in 4th grade, the school has gone down! The teachers...the books....over all horrible...my daughter will not be attending ther next year!! Do not recommend!!!

Posted August 14, 2007

My son attended Holy Cross from Pre-K to second grade, and has returned after a four year absence to complete seventh and eighth grades. I have always been impressed with this school. They still have the same principal, who will work with you should a situation, academic or personal, arise; the teachers are friendly and approachable; and the staff are wonderful. We left Holy Cross only because I no longer worked in Manhattan. Once I returned to the city, my son begged me to send him back there. The fact that a child wanted to go back to his original school speaks volumes about that school and how it is run. In regard to extracurricular activities, Holy Cross is populated mostly by kids who commute plus they are one of the most inexpensive schools, so they may not have the justication or means to have such programs.

Posted March 29, 2007

My Daughter is presently in first grade and has been on the honor roll all year. She is doing very well and we are happy with the school. I do wish they had more of a Extracurricular activity program for the students. But overall it's a good school.

Posted January 9, 2007

Overall, Holy Cross provides a solid educational base for children. Most of the teachers are very open and responsive to parents, often offering help beyond the classroom. The school has a police officer on site in the mornings to ensure safe crossings from the park to the school. The only drawback is the absence of afterschool programs and a PTA.

Posted September 23, 2006

I love this school. My daughter started Pre-K last year and her vocabulary has flourished so much. My daughter impresses us even more this year in Kindergarten with her reading skills. The classes are small which is such a great advantage for a more personal approach.

Posted February 23, 2006

I attended Holy Cross and if I lived in Manhattan I would definelty send my children to the school. I received an excellent education.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 16, 2006

Holy Cross has a strong academic program. Our child has done well there.

Posted February 14, 2006

Being a parent of a child who attends, and being a former student myself, I fully intrust this school to give my child the abilities needed to achive in all levels of academics. I would like to see more parent involvement.

Posted October 13, 2005

Academic programs are really good, but I don't know much about extracurricular activities.

Posted August 31, 2005

My daughter will be starting the second grade Sept. 2005. When she started Holy Cross in 2004 her reading level was below average. Her teacher Ms. Murphy took time out to enroll her in tutoring classes as well as give me pointers on what to do at home to encourage at home. My daughter left the first grade with an overall average of 96. She was on the honor roll the entire semester. I am grateful for the teachers, principal and staff for showing interest in the students and helping the parents out anyway they can.

Two or more races 19% N/A

Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

332 West 43rd Street