No rating

Good Shepherd School

Private | PK-8 | 230 students

Student diversity

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $299,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200.

Posted February 10, 2014

The new administration has done a stupendous job at keeping things running. Fabulous! To think the school was at risk of closing. It's made a 180 degree turn. The principal, vice principal and staff have done such a great job at running the facility. The teachers go out of the way for the students. A special thanks to those teachers who perform beyond the call of duty (you know who you are). Let's not forget our pastor who is always joyous. Thank you. Keep up the great work!

Posted July 5, 2013

Our son started attending Good Shepherd since he was three and a half two years ago. We have been very happy about the education and care he has received so far. He has excelled in every aspect academically and socially for his age. We are thankful that the new Principal, new administration, the committed teachers, along with a strong board of trustees have worked hard and closely together. The school atmosphere is nurturing and children are happy and well-behaved from Pre-K to 8th grade. The School facilities are great, including a regulation size gym, computer room, library, smart boards. A science lab is being built for this coming school year. My understanding from the Principal is that in the fall, the School will start the National Geographic Science Program for K through 8th graders. We are excited! The future of the School is promising. My husband and I have no doubt that our son will continue receiving quality education from Good Shepherd, and excel academically and socially.

Posted April 24, 2013

Good Shepherd is a great school. My children are so happy everyday, I have one child in the upper grades and one in the lower grades. The 4th grade teacher is amazing and extremely dedicated. The upper grade teachers are such a great team and work really hard to ensure a quality education for my child. My older child took part in a speech contest, a history fair, and soon a science fair. There is always something going on at Good Shepherd and I think its great. God bless the faculty and adminstration. My Good Shepherd continue to grow!!

Posted April 10, 2013

Good Shepherd School is a jewel in the Bronx. My daughter attends the school and she is happy to go to school each day. The upper grade teachers are especially dedicated. They give of their time to help every child in their care. They are present at all the school events and even cook the dinner for the families on Pasta Nite. The school is a safe, nurturing place and it is worth the cost.

Posted February 2, 2013

My son has been going to Good Shepherd School since first grade he is in fourth grade now. For the first two years my son was there enrolled in Good Shepherd, I was not too happy as the previous principle s administrative style were extreme. I was looking for another Catholic school to enroll my son, as were many parents. However, there was change in administration, with new management Good Shepherd, school has done a 360-degree change, and my son is so happy there, so is my wife and myself. The school has become a beacon in quality education and organization. I have noticed that enrollment in Good Shepherd has increased dramatically as word of mouth of the new changes has brought many new pupils to Good Shepherd. They have a great after school program in which teachers help students with their homework and afterwards have many games and physical activities to keep them occupied. I highly recommend Good Shepherd School to any parent looking for quality education and a sense of community for their young children.

Posted January 9, 2013

The teachers, administration and staff really care about the kids. They would give their left arm to help a child. Its one of the most underrated schools in the area and better than any public school in the area too.

Posted January 9, 2013

The best up and coming school in the neighborhood. Caring teachers, smart teachers, solid administration and staff, small class size, friendly religious staff and plenty of family/community involvement.

Posted October 1, 2012

i think this school is amazing...All the teachers, staff, students and everything. It is an amazing school.

Posted July 14, 2011

This school is full of rude and hypocritical teachers that treat the students with no respect. There are very few courteous and loving teachers that the treat students like human beings, and understand that they are pushed too hard too often.

Posted December 7, 2010

WOW!!!!! If there's any reason to keep Good Shepherd School open in Inwood, NYC, well, the excitement and family feeling that the winter/Christmas concert provided to all this night, Tuesday, 12/7/10. The auditorium was as full to capacity as previous years. It was a great turnout regardless of the fact the weather was bitter outside. The love felt inside the auditorium was too overpowering to express in more words than this. As we strode home, a neighbor approached us and congratulated us with blessings to know this school, Good Shepherd School, is a venue not only for academics but for fun-loving activities. Miracles do come through and it showed in everyone's faces tonight. Let's get the word out and promote our school! Supporting our School, Teachers, and Parent Committee! A great job by all, indeed. Yours truly, Proud parents

Posted November 10, 2010

Great school! At risk of closing. Change management and enrollment should rise again to what it was years ago. Principal should be more flexible and receptive to parents. Teachers are awesome. Children are wonderful. Keep this school open and wonders have a way of happening. Didn't Ernie Anastas visit one time?! It would be a shame and sad for this family oriented school to close, actually quite devastating to the kids whom have formed bonds throughout the years with the other children as well as the teachers. Keep this school open, please!

Posted November 8, 2010

My daughter attends Good Sheperd School. She has been there since Pre-K and I am very happy with the education that she is getting. I believe that the teachers as well as the principal have the children's best interest at heart. I particularly like that Ms. Singer (principal) manages the school with discipline and order. Children need a strong foundation in order to succeed in this highly competitive world. I work at a university and it saddens me when I see freshmen students who are so ill prepared and end up dropping out because they cannot keep up. I strongly recommend this school to anyone who is interested in giving their children not only a good education but tools to help them succeed.

Posted October 7, 2010

My two older kids graduated from good shepherd and they loved it and so did I. I have my youngest child there now and she is petrified of Ms. Singer the principle. I have spoken with other parents who feel the same, some of which have already taken their kids out of that school. She runs that school like a boot camp and expects the young Kindergarten kids to act like they are already in sixth grade! One mother told me that Ms. Singer forces the young kids to eat all there school food even if they don t like it. Which is why I pack my daughter cold lunch. I think she has the right concept for a junior or even a high school but to treat the young ones like this??? I am currently looking for new private school. The archdioceses will get my letter too.

Posted March 31, 2010

Good Sheherd is a great school. My daughter just graduated and my son will graduate next year. I'm very happy with all the preparation my daughter received and my son is receiving. He comes home with something new he learned everyday. The principal is always alert as to what is going on in the school. GSS is very organized and flled with very dedicated teahers who work hard to bring out the best in students and help them excel. They are even willing to spend extra time with a student who needs help. If youre thinking about sending your child to this school, do not hesitate to register. Youll never regret it. They will be in their second home.

Posted September 7, 2009

I just graduated from GSS as salutatorian and I had the greatest years there. The teachers are so motivating and helpful. Students can really feel at home there. Teachers will take there own time and give it to a student in need. I was really happy there and well prepared for acceptance into High School. Thanks to Mrs. Singer, the Principal, discipline is amazingly high. You do not ever see kids screaming in hallways or behaving inappropriately. Students who try hard, do well, and excel are always awarded. I would know. I'm really grateful for everything I was able to achieve and the school as well as parish will be in my heart always as I live through the years of life ahead.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 19, 2009

Good Shepherd is a great school with loving and well behaved children. Kids seem to be close to each other, showing a sort of togetherness probably due to the small classes. The teachers are great, loving, helpful and strict when necessary. Principal Singer has increased the value of discipline and excellent education for the school in the last 3 years. A little strict for some parents who can't deal with it, but that is what you pay for! My son is in second grade and is an A student. My daughter started Pre-K and amazes me with what she is learning. Good Shepherd does need more extra-curricular activities, but it may need financial assistance due to misspending of school funds prior to the new administration. Great job!!! I give it 5 stars.

Posted October 31, 2008

Good Shepherd had undergone too many changes both in the school and the parish. Things finally seem to be back on track. The new pastor is wonderful and the principal has done a grat job in turning the school around. The building is now so clean and organized. Discipline is back in the school and there is much more emphasis on excellence. There needs to be more activities but that has begun to change for the better. I was so afraid the school was going down but now it is definitely back on track and strong.

Posted April 15, 2008

This is our first year sending our child to pre-k at the school. His teacher is kind and caring but the many off days and teacher conferences adds to our costs. They must increase the number of scholarships to more students if the school wants to have a future. The Archdiocese should tap into the millions they have to waste on administrative costs. Learn from Mayor Bloomberg.

Posted February 15, 2008

good school but they should speak to the Principal Ms.singer because she is not good managing the school. a lot of parents take their kids out due to her attitude and more will continue taking kids out.

Posted February 2, 2008

this school is okay.. i do agree with the other parents though.. it could be much better... there could be sprorts, clubs, instrument classes but there are none.. the kids are nice and so are the teachers.. they know what they are teaching but the school could do better (oh and the school lunch is soo gross!)
—Submitted by a student

• Mrs. Agnes McNamara
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious