No rating

Dominican Academy

Private | 9-12 | 209 students

Our school is known as the academic school of choice for intelligent young women

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $1,078,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,110.

Posted yesterday

Dominican Academy is committed to building a community of smart women. Our daughters are being challenged academically, nurtured in self-confidence and -awareness and exposed to the wonders of NYC, and the world!

Posted April 16, 2014

Choosing to attend Dominican Academy has been one of the best decisions I have ever made! All I see are positives from its small size. My class year had 70 students, and we were the largest year in the school at the time. Through our retreats, activities, and classes together, I've gotten to know all of the girls in my year and found a lifelong group of friends. Since my largest class ever in DA was 20 people for Theology, every teacher knew more than my name, which definitely helped for college recommendations. The teachers want every DA girl to realize her potential and succeed in their academics. I have had teachers that have given me the best life advice and became my mentors. Although the school is small, there is such an array of APs and electives. With the APs I have taken, I came into college with 14 credits! DA's location is as best as it gets. The 6 train and numerous buses stop within 2 blocks away. DA has helped me prepare for college's rigorous curriculum and in life skills such as networking and resume writing . My drive to succeed and my passion for service to others have been set and grown by DA, and I wish I can go back to my years there!

Posted April 12, 2014

Although the actual school is small building, it is beautiful and much is accomplished within those walls! A great mix of girls from many different ethnic and economic backgrounds and all mix well and all have respect for each other. The students are caring for each other and the world outside their school. Excellent interaction with faculty and staff and something for everyone. Proud to have had two graduates from Dominican Academy who are extremely well prepared for college and beyond. I would highly recommend DA!

Posted April 10, 2014

Dominican Academy resides is an historic 68th Street townhouse, donated by Michael Friedsam (founder of B. Altman & Co., benefactor of the Metropolitan, and namesake of the carousel in Central Park). For 117 years, this "Blue Ribbon School of Excellence" has challenged and nurtured gifted high school girls, to meet their full academic potential, and to live the love of Christ as they interact with each other and their communities. All classes are honors level, reflecting the capabilities of the young women drawn to DA from all over the NYC metropolitan area. There are 11 AP courses, taught separately. Students study the classics (Latin is required), and most take 4 years of math and science (3 years are required). Community service is part of the curriculum, including the social justice seminar with brother school Regis High School. The soccer, softball, tennis and track teams play in Central Park, and basketball and volleyball teams play at home in the Regis gym. Reflecting its core values, and through generous support, DA's tuition is a fraction of comparable Manhattan schools, so as many "smart girls" as possible can learn together, and become "intelligent young women."

Posted April 10, 2014

My school is a really happy place, in all honesty. It is an all girls Catholic high school with no more than 230 students. Its small size is what makes it unique and wonderful. We are a community above all. We all root for each other, these are my sisters. Walking through the halls I know every name and every face. At first, I feared the rigorous curriculum. Now, I welcome it because it has challenged me and I believe I am more successful because of it. My education does not consist of memorization, but of critical thinking and questioning. I can thank my teachers for my ability to carry an intellectual conversation. My teachers are the brightest group of people I have ever met, they inspire me to work hard and be as knowledgeable as they are. I really feel like I am learning from the best. DA has groomed me into an intelligent young woman and I will always be grateful, the LEAST I can do is give it 5 stars.

Posted October 24, 2013

Dominican Academy is a great school located in a very prestigious location of Manhattan, The school only offers honors classes and AP class. The school is small so that each student is intellectually engaged with each teacher. The school is beautiful as it is a landmark brownstone and students enjoy learning in the building and playing sports down the street In Central Park.Sports are an integral part of the social life and include crew, soccer, softball, basketball and volleyball. If you do not play sports there are many clubs one can join and each student is encouraged to join a few. Every year there is an optional trip to Europe and a ski trip. The school participates with Regis for dances, plays and other social events. If you like to be with smart. pretty girls with a touch of class this is the school for you!

Posted September 17, 2013

Dominican Academy is truly wonderful! As a student here, I feel well prepared for college, but also for life. I genuinely love my school. If I relived the 8th grade decision process- I would absolutely choose DA again. Our community is outstanding! Students and faculty members are extremely intelligent, successful, open, and caring. The education is unparalleled. I have never had a day where I felt unlucky to be a student. I absolutely love it here and would highly recommend it to anyone. Coming here has probably been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I cannot imagine attending any other school- I love it!

Posted March 13, 2013

I attend Dominican Academy, and I truly believe it has set me up for life. DA is not only a challenging environment, but an encouraging school which shows every girl's potential and what she can do to help others. If I could go back, I would still choose DA knowing the incredible high school experience and friends I have now. It's fantastic.

Posted October 26, 2012

My daughter started at D.A. in September. She finds the academics challenging and the atmosphere socially rewarding. The teachers, counselors and administration are all so welcoming and attentive. The beauty of the neighborhood adds to it's charm. My daughter and I couldn't have chosen a better school. It is a bit more expensive than some of the other schools, but well worth it!

Posted October 25, 2012

I am a parent of a DA student. This is definitely a school for intelligent articulate young women or girls who aim to be excellent students of high moral standing. ALL classes are honors classes or AP. This school focuses on good values and prepping for a college education. The girls take pride in how the wear their uniform and representing a school with fine principles. Students do community service and are encouraged to engage in issues facing society. Great sports: soccer, basketball and volleyball. Parents are welcome and encouraged to be a part of student's education. Intimate environment girls are friendly and of high morel fiber. Yes, if you don't like that girls don't smoke anywhere near the school. You should probably try a different school. This school is a rarity, a true gem. You can tell when you attend an open house and see all the successful alumni that come back to share their admiration and appreciation for their education and friendship they forged while here! I am grateful my daughter is in this school. She loves it!

Posted October 25, 2012

DA offers an excellent education . Colleges visit the seniors and meet with the girls during their lunch. Girls are well prepared for college. They learn soft skills needed as well as their academic subjects. I am a parent and my daughter cannot say enough good things about this school. She loves her classmates and always wants to attend school functions. There is a lot of work and it is not easy. Events, classes, trips and activities are of the highest caliber. Sister Barbara heads a school that prepares young women for academic success.

Posted October 25, 2012

Top tier Catholic school. High energy prep school for girls. Renovated Science lab, Only one Lab partner. Top of the line equipment. Newly renovated classrooms, equipment overhaul. Parents painted the school. Amazing This school welcomes girls and their families. Amazing parquet floors, crystal chandlers, marble fireplaces girls this smart and this respectable deserve the best.

Posted October 24, 2012

I wouldn't be who I am or where I am today in the world without the education and experiences that I had at Dominican Academy. DA's academics, especially history, language and communications all inspired me and pushed me to learn more as I moved on well prepared for college. I loved the small school environment, 4 years of varsity softball (3x CHSAA Champs), 2 years of varsity basketball and soccer, and DANCE. Not many students can say they went to school in a mansion on the Upper East Side, and dance was a requirement. Nearing on 10 years past my graduation, I still go back to DA and volunteer at Open Houses to tell prospective students how much I loved DA and why they will love DA too. I cannot imagine having attended any other school. Veritas.

Posted October 24, 2012

My daughter has attended DA for the past four years and will be graduating in June. I am continuously amazed at how articulate she speaks, and am awed to see how she has developed into a critical thinker. Both of these attributes are sourly lacking in many job candidates that I have interviewed recently. The staff of educators at DA are dedicated to each student, takes an interest in each girl, and genuinely cares for the whole student. Parents are very engaged and welcoming, and the principal is a warm, loving, and disciplined individual. I can't say enough about this school, it is a gem and deserves 6 stars.

Posted October 23, 2012

I am a proud Dominican Academy alumna. I first attended another all-girls high school (3x more expensive than D.A. even 10+ years ago) and transferred. The academics were just as competitive at D.A. but the sense of community was unlike any other I've experienced -- girls were truly kind and caring, teachers knew every student by name. Dominican Academy prepared me well for college, law school, and life. I make it a point to only hire D.A. interns at my law firm, and they, along with all the current D.A. students I have the pleasure of meeting at Open House and mentoring throughout the year, uphold the traditions and values of a school and a sisterhood that I am privileged to be a part of.

Posted October 19, 2012

I went to DA and thought it was...okay. It was rather small and cramped and we had no gym. All we had was a dance class that seemed like more of a time filler. We had running club when I was there, but that is no substitute for sports (which I hear they have now). This school portrays itself as being very prestigious, but that is just a way to attract people. Sure it looks fancy inside, but that does not mean you have to be a genius to attend this school. That is not something some of the smart DA ladies would like to hear. They are quite intellectual and condescending when their pretending not to study (sorry about the typo ladies). You have to take two languages and they have some AP courses, but so do a lot of high schools. One cannot smoke within a "one mile radius" of DA because you have to keep up the DA image. This is essential because DA above, all is, about how it appears to outsiders. I do not really recommend this school if you live in the outer boroughs. Sure it is in the middle of New York City, but the hike in and out is not worth it for what you get when you arrive there. You could probably get the same education in Queens or Brooklyn.

Posted November 30, 2011

I went to DA in the early 1950's and I can say without a shred of doubt, that this school equipped me with outstanding skills - academically, socially and spiritually. I am equally as comfortable in the presence of royalty as well as with the lesser educated. There should be more schools like this - or other schools should adapt to their methods of instilling 'class' and perhaps the current generations would contribute more to socially acceptable behavior by utilizing GOOD MANNERS!

Posted October 24, 2011

As a senior, I don't regret going to Dominican Academy and I want other girls to have the same great experience as me. It's very easy to make friends in every grade and to get to know everyone in your grade since everyone is so close-knit! The biggest class I ever had was 20 people so even the required classes have a lot of teacher-student interaction. They know your name and get to know your personality. AP classes and electives are even smaller classes so the teachers are always there to help! DA has a surprisingly large amount clubs, sports, APs, and electives compared to its small size. For parents, the parents association is very active because it holds many of DA's traditions like the mother-daughter luncheon and father-daughter dance. The school is very accessible by trains and buses. Many of my classmates commute even from Yonkers, New Jersey, and Long Island. The school building itself is very unique and beautiful because it is a townhouse. You have to visit to see it for yourself!

Posted October 13, 2011

From the moment I walked through the halls of Dominica Academy (DA) in Manhattan, I knew that this was one of the schools that I would like my daughter to attend. But there were questions: How to come up with the tuition for all four years? Will she be happy and fulfilled in an all-girls school? Will she get enough exercises without a gym in the school? And will she miss out on wearing fashionable clothing in place of a school uniform? While my brain was searching for answers, my heart reminded me that: Jesus looked at them and said, With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible. Mathew 19:26 (NIV). My daughter was accepted to a specialized high school and other excellent public and catholic high schools, but the school which I asked God for guidance that would give her a both academic and spiritual education was Dominican Academy. The school has a full curriculum including clubs, service and volunteer work. My daughter is happy so far, and I hope that she will continue to grow and thrive at Dominican Academy. Go and visit DA and feel the enthusiasm of the students and the school s spirit.

Posted May 24, 2011

Premiere Catholic Girl Schools are EXTREMELY hard to find ... A school with the history of DA (in existence since 1897) places it in a class all of its own! The academic challenges and the emphasis on the development of young Catholic women into outstanding adults has been a hallmark of DA since it's inception. DA is not "Catholic High School Musical" and it does not pretend to be. DA is a serious institution which places the highest priority in providing young Catholic women with the very best academic challenges in New York City. Not every student is suited for DA, but if you are you are interested in providing your daughter with the very best education possible, DA is the place for her!.

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Various Catholic, private and public grammar schools
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2012)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Italian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Latin Exam (2012)
  • National French Exam (2012)
  • National Merit Commended Students (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Performance stage

• 8:25 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • Sister Barbara Kane, O.P
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • All girls
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
  • Latin
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Tutor(s)
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

Apply now

What are your chances?

5 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
180
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
375
Students typically come from these schools
Various Catholic, private and public grammar schools

What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2012-2013 school year
$12000 - $12000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes