No rating

Our Lady Queen of Martyrs

Private | PK-8 | 279 students

Our school is known for its Science and Technology Programs

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $340,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,190.

Posted March 19, 2014

This school is awesome from the teachers, to the principal to the office staff. Mr.Woods is always available for parents and works to help them. I couldn't be happier with the academic progress my son is making in Ms. Rodriguez class and I'm looking forward to registering my 3 year old with Ms. Fundora.

Posted February 10, 2014

I am a parent who has had rapport with the school for over 10 years. I have been satisfied with all of the teachers at O.L.Q.M.; however, the one teacher that stands out the most is Ms. Rodriguez from PreK-2. She is the most amazing teacher and the most valuable asset that Mr. Woods has at O.L.Q.M. Ms. Rodriguez is the example of what a teacher should be. She is well educated and holds the up most of professionalism at all times. Her teaching methods are geared to meet the individual needs of every student enriched with a tremendous amount of nurturing and patience. Getting the students to learn in her class is her number one priority. The classroom ambiance is always like a breath of fresh air where the students learn through play, socialization and teacher directives. This is a PERFECT and EXCEPTIONAL example of what a PreK classroom should be. Ms. Rodriguez and her teacher's assistants create a positive and welcoming environment where students learn and enjoy it. I am so happy my child was able to have this wonderful early learning experience with Ms. Rodriguez.

Posted January 15, 2014

This school is Excellent for Pre-K and for Pre-K ONLY. By far, Ms Fundora is THE exceptional seasoned teacher with up-to-date skills. Ms. Rodriguez follows Ms. Fundora's foot steps pretty close. This school has serious reforming to achieve. Had to remove my child by Third grade. Children in the upper grades, my son included, assisted general staff members and teachers with their clerical work. Unacceptable to send my child to school, when I am paying tuition, to miss on instructional time to file paperwork and to correct lower grade tests, giving out late passes, delivering cafeteria food to staff members, etc. That must be the "STAFF MEMBERS job to do, not the students. If OLQM wants to teach clerical/ office skills, they should have a Vocational School instead of a Regular School. Teachers had an old fashion teaching style where if students are not STATUES, or if they challenge their so called TEACHERS, expect a bad grade on conduct. An average of A- with 71 on conduct? And these teachers are shaping the future of our community? Shame on them!!! Shame on their Director Mr. Woods for allowing this situation. Would not recommend anyone to this school, unless it is for PreK.

Posted December 28, 2013

After applying through board of Ed and getting on a waiting list, I looked into Catholic schools, just as I grew up. I luckily came across OLQM. They have a clear process and everyone is helpful Mrs. Fundora along with her assistants are extremely wonderful ladies. Every member of the school, staff and including the older students, work together for the best interest of the children. Mr. Woods and the pastor have created an extraordinary dynamic and ethic among all members of the school community. They are a family! My son never cries about school and actually models his teacher all the time- a great compliment to her. I feel my son is fortunate to begin his education in such a wonderful place and look forward to continuing. He is able to write a variety of letters and shapes and verbally spell words such as December. Academically and socially, he has grown immensely an loves doing so.

Posted October 2, 2013

It's a one of a kind school. Extraordinary teachers and a very helpful learning environment. My brother and I attended this school and received a great education. My little sister is in kindergarten now and I am impressed with her abilities at this age. I recommend this school to everyone. There is no school like it.

Posted August 15, 2013

My daughter currently completed Pre-K 1, she is 3yrs old... I am so pleased and overjoyed of my child's academic development. I give praise to Mrs. Fundora and Mr. Woods.... Thank you for caring most of all and showing my child to be an independent thinker. I am looking forward to another year 2013-14- See you in September!

Posted February 23, 2013

I was very nervous of placing my girl in this school. It was the first time my girl was going into a school setting. I am sooo happy I placed her here. Not only do I know she is learning, but I also know she is in good hands. Ms Fondura is an incredible loving teacher. When I leave my girl with her teachers, my mind and heart are at peace. Academically, I would say my girl is academically advanced. She is in Prek and compared to what I have seen at my job ( Prek at the Public school level) my girl is ahead. My only complain are the progress reports. This is the 3rd time I receive a report with missing grades. The format is not understandable. It has numbers and letters, no legend and missing grades. It would be great for parents if the format is changed . I will do all I can to keep my heart in this school. And regarding the environment, the school has a green house on the roof. Awesome!!! The Principal is always around and is always willing to answer questions. Very involve principal!

Posted February 10, 2013

I attended O.L.Q.M., I taught there and my children now attend the school in third grade and kindergarten. As a school teacher at a public school and being a teacher for 18 years now I can safely say that the education provided for our children at O.L.Q.M. is one of a kind. I have taught every grade in public school. When I compare the progress of each of those grades between O.L.Q.M. and public school I realize what a huge difference there is!. The children at O.L.Q.M. are ahead, academically than many in public school. When it comes to values, morals and mental well being, O.L.Q.M. also surpasses the public school system. Not all children can handle the competition, stamina, discipline and mental preparation that goes into being a part of this school. For those children, parents should definitely feel free to look for further help for their children. Investing in this type of education is definitely something that is worth every penny! I am not looking for perfect children but I do want well rounded children that are prepared for the competition. Thank you Mr. Woods and all the staff for everything they have done for my children and the community. Ms. Maria Urena

Posted February 8, 2013

Both of my children attend OLQM. One is in 1st grade and the other in 5th grade.They have both been in the school since pre-k. Both of my children have showed great development over the years. They are both well spoken and I have the school to thank for that. Even when my 5th grader acts up and gets detention, it is still a benefit. In detention, they are sometimes assigmed to copy a few page of the dictionary. Although it is a punishment for misbehavior, the act has highly improved his vocabulary. Mr wood is an awesome principal. Myself and a few parent that I know, have fallen behind with tuition payments in the pass. When this was the case, Mr wood did everything in his power to help us and keep our children in school. Thank Mr woods and OLQM for all you have done for our children

Posted February 8, 2013

My child has been attending this school for five years, and he loves the school. The teachers and principal have been nothing but respectful and helpful to both me and my son. I have recommended this wonderful school to friends of mine for their children and will continue to do so.

Posted February 7, 2013

My son was in this school in forth grade. He has always been an honors student. When I put him in this school, his grade went down. I saw that the teachers are not worried on how the students' grade are. They will scream at them and they use inappropriate language. When I went to the principal to talk to him about my concerns, he started treating me very disrespectfully. He is a very unprofessional principal. I decided to transfer my son to another school and he's grade has increased and he is an honor student. Being a caring parent, I really don't recommend this school.

Posted February 7, 2013

I am very pleased with my daugther development at this school she has been there for 4 years and she is doing very well. The principal and teacher are doing very good job. I am full recomended !

Posted February 6, 2013

I graduated from OLQM many moons ago. My child is now in Pre-K at the school, and I could not be more pleased with the job that Mrs. Fundora has done with her. I wish she could teach her every year, to be perfectly honest.

Posted February 6, 2013

I can not express the gratitude I have for Mrs.Fundora and her teachers aid. Their patience, dedication and affection towards the children is priceless! Every morning I drop my daughter off and there is not one single child that doesn't pass by Mrs.Fundora's classroom to say good morning! This school also provides incredible feedback to help with your child's development, learning capabilities and structure! The safe and amazing academic environment Mr. Woods has created for the children gives me the peace of mind to focus on work and other aspects of life!! So thank you OLQM for all you do for our community!

Posted February 5, 2013

I graduated from OLQM in 2008, and this school helped me build the foundation that got me where I am today, attending NYU. My teachers were always ready to help me, and they constantly challenged me and pushed me to excel. They prepared me for my high school years so much so that, entering the 9th Grade, I already knew the material being taught. OLQM had and still has a wonderful sense of community and continually encourages its students to participate in something beyond the classroom. I myself worked in the school's Greenhouse Program with several of my closest friends and enjoyed every minute of it. I have nothing but fond memories of this school, and it will always be a second home to me. I am proud to say that I wouldn't be where I am now if I hadn't graduated from OLQM.

Posted February 5, 2013

I graduated in 1998. I am what one would call an OLQM lifer being that I attended from Kindergarten through 8th grade - before they had established a Pre-K program. OLQM provided me with a first class education. The school gave me the foundation I needed to achieve my dream of becoming a lawyel. I was very fortunate to attend a prestigious private high school and succeeded at graduating in the top 5% of my class. Later I attended and graduated from Columbia University, an Ivy League school. Thereafter, I attended law school and can say that today I am an attorney. My academic and professional successes were made possible by the stellar teachers, staff and administration at OLQM. Besides providing a wonderful education, they instilled in me faith and confidence in myself to achieve my goals. The teachers and staff are different now, but the school's values and adherence to excellence remains the same. When I do visit the school, the children are so cheerful, kind, respectful, and inquisitive having an infinite thirst for knowledge. OLQM satiates that thirst.

Posted January 5, 2013

0 Star. My daughter spent a year at this school and it was a nightmare is horrible.Please do NOT put your children in this school .. For the MENTAL HEALTH of your CHILDREN!!!!!!

Posted December 30, 2012

I am 67 ears old & graduated from Queen of Martyrs in 1958, having attended for 8 years. Monsignor Ryder was the priest in charge & we were all taught by Franciscan nuns. To this day, I remember my school days very well. It was a fantastic school then & I trust it still is today. It must be to survive all these years.

Posted August 11, 2011

OLQM fails in many areas as a school. First, it fails to address children that have special needs with the services they need. The school and its administration would rather provide inadequate services to its students than provide them with a better public school alternative in order to maintain tuition. Second, in this economy the focus of the administration is not education, but staying open. More money is allocated towards advertisement than on replacing the (in some cases) 15 year old textbooks. Third, Inadequate staff, because the catholic school system does not have DOE requirements when hiring teacher, there are more than a few "teachers" in this school that have not completed a four year degree. In some cases high school. Fourth, students that do not excel get ignored. During the school year, more emphasis is focused on children that can win contests for the school then on the majority of the class that really needs help (orders of this kind of teaching coming from the top. The school mentality is that of, move on without them, they'll have to pay for summer school. Fifth, The after school program is a farce it is a glorified daycare. Avoid this school at all costs.

Posted April 20, 2011

This school wasnt a complete wonderful experiance for me when i had my daughter in this school. She had been going there from 3rd to 6th. The reason i removed her from the school is beacuse the education wasnt so great. Although there tech-edu was amazing. I would not recomend this school.The tution it increadably high even with a scholarship. The best teachers that worked there were fired for insugnificant reasons.This school may seem amazing to other parents but I has a parent has not had a great experiance with my children in this school. This is why i decited to remove my children from this school.

Two or more races 1% N/A
Asian 0% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Tapley Award - Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center (2012)

Special education / special needs

Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Chinese (Mandarin)

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 7:00 p.m.
  • Andrew G. Woods
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
  • Teacher-run
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • R.I.N.G.- Riversaide Inwood Neighborhood Garden

Performing arts
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Science club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year

What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2012-2013 school year
$4000 - $10000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
All Hallows High Scjhool