No rating

St Jude School

Private | PK-8 | 224 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $299,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200.

Posted November 13, 2012

I know parents are unsure about this school but hear me out! I am a student at SJS in the 7th grade. I have been attending this school since 3rd grade & can I say I love this school. What surprises me the most is that nobody in my class likes to not go to school, including me. We would beg our parents to let us go in no matter what weather. Not only do we help one other in school but also outside of school. My class usely does get-to-geters... and I know what your thinking thats dangerous but its not. About 87% of the parents in my class work together to allow my school to have many things such as bake sales.(so they know each other). At SJS we are like a family. Despite that alot of the students are from D.R we always have each others back. We also compete in Speech Bees, Science Fair, basketball games (which they just put), and much more. So if your thinking about putting your child there you should and I know I am a child but SJS has taught how to be a young lady. :]

Posted September 13, 2012

My son is in Kindergarten and this is his second year there. I am very please with his academic learning and amazed at how caring the teachers and assistant teachers are. I love the fact that when two kids have an issue they help them resolve the problem right then and there, before the day ends so no one goes home upset at no one. My son and I just love love Mrs. Remo and I am glad to report that Ms. Julissa Matias-Kelly is no longer at the school. The school also has a new principle who is trying to do so much for the school and this year the school will once again have a basketball team and is offering Piano classes and for the summer 2013 the school will be offering summer school. More and more parents are starting to get involved. I have seen in a one year alot of changes which makes me very very happy. It's great to hear my son say I love my school. SJS ROCKS!!!! Registration is all year round and kids start as early as 3yrs old and a full day.

Posted November 21, 2011

I thought this school was great until I enrolled my daughter in kindergarten. Ms Julissa Matias-Kelly is the worse teacher your child can have. She is abusive and intimidates the kids. When you speak to the administration they do nothing but tell the teacher about it, which then the teacher takes it upon herself to retaliate on your child. All the kids in her class are terrified of her. Kids need to respect not fear their teacher!!! The students visually shake when you speak to their teacher. Its a good school if you want to send your kids, but make sure its after kinder. Parents refuse to complain are scared to complain because they are scared of retaliation! Social services needs to get involved or the Archdioceses!

Posted August 17, 2011

From reading prior SJS reviews I am shocked with the last review that was posted. I am a 1981 graduate of the school, and since then other family and friends have attended the school and have had nothing but positive and encouraging things to say about the school. The person who posted the last review must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed that day. The academics along with the discipline is MAGNIFICENT!!! None the less their religious teachings are at the TOP! For those out there who are interested in registering their children at SJS, have no fear. You are making the right decision. SJS is FANTASTIC!

Posted April 18, 2010

The school is terrible it is degrading to horrible acedemics and horrible children who bully so many
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 16, 2008

St. Jude School is becoming one of the worse private school. The Principal, teachers, and staff are very agresive to students. A lot of bad things are going on, such as, poor comunication, bad reputation, and the students are not getting a good education background. If you do not want your child to fair, Please do not bring it to St. Jude School, I do care about kids and I do not want that your child faced all these issues.

Posted March 15, 2008

The academics are great. The Reading First program does wonders under the direction of the new Principal

Posted April 12, 2007

My children ages 8 and 4 attend Saint Jude, I am very happy and impress with the education and care my children receive at the school. The tuition is a little high but it is well worth the cost. The teachers are excellent! Keep up the good work!

Posted March 3, 2007

The school is ok and has come back over the years
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 19, 2006

St Jude School is wonderful in every sense possible. Mr. Carpenella is a wonderful principal, the teachers are unmatched in the great work they do with the children and with their disciplined yet nurturing manner. St Jude's has won The Speech Contest and the Science Fair this year. I am a former student and my child attends St Jude's as well. I feel like I am leaving my child at my second home with extended relatives. AMAZING SCHOOL!!!!!!!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 12, 2006

St. Jude School is a doing very well academically. I give the teacher a 10 out of 10. The principal of the school has a great curriculum in place. I highly recommend this school to anyone who is interested in enrolling their children. I am also a former student of the school as well as other family members and friends. If you are uncertain, make an appointment to visit the school.

Posted September 13, 2004

Unfortunately, St. Judes per teacher ratio is about double if not more then what u have stated (average abt 35-38 students per teacher. Currently the 5th grade class has 40 students. The teachers are all excellent with long educational backgrounds and extended time at St. Jude. The schools former principal Mr. Deegan was a superior figure for the children. We are now getting to know the new principal and hopefully he will be able to fit Mr. Deegans shoes.

Posted August 26, 2003

this school for me is a diamond in the ruff. From the principal to the teachers there is no equal.

Asian 0% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• David P. Friedlander
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

433 West 204th Street