No rating

St. Joseph's School-Yorkville

Private | PK-8 | 249 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $915,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,110.

Posted December 8, 2013

Note school for students to learn. Just test takers and those worried about status. Beautiful school, but you can't just a books by its cover.

Posted August 21, 2013

At first I was happy with St. Joseph's School Yorkville, but as my children moved up in grades I started to have my doubts. The teachers care for the students, and the school is a clean/safe environment. I started to become skeptical when I did not see a change in the work as the state adopted the new Common Core Standards. In the several years my children have been in the school they have NEVER completed an independent writing piece, that's just unacceptable!! If your child is on grade level they will do fine because instruction is whole group in a large class size. The students above grade level as well as those that may need some help will not have their needs met. If the student can't follow whole group instruction you will be told by the principal that they should be evaluated without data to support or strategies implemented within the school. I know several families that this has happen to! Very Disappointing! You will be better off sending your child to a public elementary school in the area.

Posted July 22, 2012

I attended this school for middle school so I can only speak for the upperclassman teachers. This school has good solid academics. But it doesn't offer any AP or honors classes. There's only one class per grade (in the upper grades). I felt like I was always getting held back by the low performing students in my class. I couldn't perform as high as I wanted to. They didn't challenged me academically. I wasn't motivated to do my best. So if you're an average student, this school is fine. But if you're a high performing student like me, I suggest you go to another school where you have more options.

Posted June 13, 2012

We have had a wonderful experience at St. Joseph's. The Pre-K teachers have all been positive, creative and nurturing. This has made for a wonderful experience for our child, where they love to go to school each day. Miss Bernero is a very dedicated principal that has built a strong sense of community in the school. The philosophy may be strict in nature but has formed a positive sense of accountability with our child, even at the Pre-K level as they are learning to be an independent student that is responsible for their belongings and behavior.

Posted March 23, 2011

I am a current student here and I can assure you this school REALLY prepares you for high school and all the challenges you will face. The teachers helped me gain essential skills I need to succeed. I do agree with one of the previous comments that the rules are pretty strict but the teachers are warm and kind; they are always willing to help. They challenged YET supported me. Thank you St. Joseph's! I am glad to say that I AM a student of this school. :)

Posted December 14, 2010

My daughter graduated from St. Joseph and was offered 2 scholarships for High School. She continues to do well in her High School. My son is currently attending and doing very well. The teachers and parents are great and I would highly recommend this school.

Posted May 10, 2010

Most of the students are already smart and would perform well at other schools. SJY is good about covering traditional academic curriculum, but not in a way that fosters a love of learning. Which hinders the true growth that some of the students could achieve at this school. Overall culture is very authoratative with strict rules. Could use some profes. development courses on nurturing students and positive reinforcement, not just punitive punishment as discipline. If your child fits a certain mold they will be favored and have no concerns. Trips, even to develop further interests in subject matter, are rare to none. Well maintained building and good gym facilities, but no team sports. Extracuricular activities have improved. No running during recess is a little restrictive. Choose a good performing safe public school or, if money or getting accepted is not an issue, an independent private school instead.

Posted March 22, 2010

I have been sending my children to St. Joes since pre k 3, and my oldest is in 4th grade now! The school is fantastic, it offers adademics as well as creative activities for a well rounded child. The teachers truly love teaching and nurture the children, with their best interested in mind. I wish it followed through 12th grade!

Posted October 3, 2009

The best principal and fantastic teachers!

Posted January 30, 2009

I am an 8th grader at St. Joseph's and I like the school overall, but there are a lot of cliques in the 8th grade. There is alot of unneccessary drama that goes on throughout the year. There are no afterschool activities i am interested in. The only activities that there really is for older kids is basketball and drama. The teachers are interesting and most of the classes are okay except in science and social studies.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 6, 2008

The teachers and faculty really help you bacome motivated . Now that the end of the year is almost here, were having our finals, and the teachers give us descriptive study guides and go over what we may not understand.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 7, 2007

After getting waitlisted from many private preschools I was nervous where my child would go to school. I did a search for catholic schools in my area and St Joseph's came up. I had never heard of the school before. I have to say that everything happens for a reason. My child and I love this school. I love that the principal greets every child outside the door in the morning. The teachers are fantastic with a low turnover. Parent involvement is very high and it shows. Parents, teachers and children all very happy. I have to say I also love the facility. Large gym, huge classrooms, nice computer room, science rooms and large auditorium. Very very happy we stumbled upon St Joes!!

Posted September 4, 2007

My attended St. Joseph's for Kindergarten and it was a great experience. The parent involvement is awesome. The principal runs a tight ship and it is evident in the way the children behave. There were two downsides to St. Joseph's and that was the number of students in the classroom and the lack of timely feedback on the student progress report. I was also informed that they do not offer any assistance if a child is struggling in a subject matter. For the price we are paying for the school I was shocked to hear that response. Additionally you are always asked to fund raise which isn't an issue because the grounds and activities are up to speed. I would recommend this school but caution a parent to stay on top of the teacher about your child progress. The administration office is very responsive.

Posted June 28, 2007

since my son transfered from OLGC, for 7th grade ,my son enjoys and loves this school very much esp.his teachers Ms. carlos and most of all Mr. Troll!! he told me he learns and enjoy learning from this school!!!

Posted November 27, 2006

I am so happy that my 4 years old started his first school at this school. I am very impressed with children's quality. I have nothing to worry. Unlike other schools in manhattan, it got bright, large and clean space.

Posted June 16, 2004

My son completed Kindergarten, and I was very pleased. This was our first year in this school. My son's class had approx. 25 kids with one teacher and an assistant teacher. The teachers and admin. staff are wonderful (coupled with years of experience). They do take an interest in your child. At teacher conferences, you are given very detailed information about your child's progress and what areas can be inproved. They are reasonably priced for a private school in Manhattan, NY. The only drawback is that they are always asking for money, but atleast as a parent, you can see that all this fundraising is being used to better your child's education. The compound is very clean, safe and secure. The student body is diverse..I can't say enough. My only regret is that the family is relocating so my son won't be returning next year.

Asian 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Theresa Bernero
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

420 E 87th St