No rating

Corlears School

Private | PK-5 | 145 students

Educating compassionate innovators, ready to be tomorrow's leaders.

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $925,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,070.

School Official Point of View

Posted September 21, 2014

Hello, I am the new Head of School at Corlears, David Egolf. The past few months have been such a pleasure for me, getting to know this terrific community! We are a school for children ages 2 through 10 and we are located in one of the most dynamic, exciting neighborhoods in New York City, Chelsea. Corlears is filled with energy and the sounds of joyful students who are engaged and curious about the community they live in and the world around them. They are compassionate and creative, eager to take on new challenges and to pursue new paths to finding solutions. Our students love Corlears and love to learn. Here are the reasons why: *Our academic program develops innovative thinking, collaboration, and communication skills. *Kindness, respect, and integrity are prized in every interaction at Corlears. *Small size... every child is important at Corlears. *A focus on the early years to fifth grade... setting students up for success in middle school and beyond. Graduates from Corlears are capable, compassionate innovators who move on to one of their first choice schools for middle school. They are ready, eager, and confident they will meet the challenges ahead with success. From their journey here, they have learned about themselves and have important insights into the schools that feel right for them. Please explore our website and discover the richness of our program. Come see Corlears and feel the excitement and energy that our children feel every day. Take a tour; meet our faculty; see for yourself our light-filled, spacious classrooms. I promise you will wish that you had gone to Corlears when you were a child. I look forward to meeting you soon. Sincerely, David Egolf, Head of School

Posted September 1, 2014

There are a few happy families at the school... the ones who give big donations, and receive special attention from the administration. These are the parents coming on here with good reviews to try and counteract the truth, which is not all roses and unicorns. If you are looking into sending your child to Corlears, please take the negative reviews seriously, and show up to tours with questions about attrition, curriculum, etc. Good luck!

Posted September 1, 2014

My son will be starting his third year at Corlears (he is almost 5 years old). We have had a great experience at Corlears, and we are excited for the upcoming year. The teachers provide a nurturing environment and challenge our son in ways that engage his curiosity and encourage him to try new things. The staff and administration are very supportive, and we have enjoyed being a part of the Corlears community. We could not be happier at Corlears!

Posted August 31, 2014

We feel lucky to have found Corlears. It is a very special place. Our 3 children (2 boys and a girl) have all thrived there, and the two who have graduated were well prepared and moved with confidence to their new schools. Corlears has a real commitment to its progressive philosophy. For example, children help shape the various studies each year and, as a result, feel a deep connection to and sense of ownership of their learning, and real partnership with their teachers. When one of my children faced academic challenges, the teachers and specialists jumped on the problem right away, kept us involved as they developed a plan, and then worked with our child to help him move through his difficulties and continue as a successful learner. I credit their loving and skilled guidance with my son's continued love of school in the face of obstacles. In addition, Corlears is a small nurturing environment, where multi-age experiences deepen learning, build confidence, and foster empathy. It s a place that values kindness and keeps children younger longer.

Posted August 29, 2014

My two children attended Corlears from their first year in pre-school through to graduation. Though the kids are different (one boy, one girl, different learning styles and interests), they both had great experiences there. Teacher quality was, in general, extremely strong, and the occasional issue was always dealt with professionally. The philosophical underpinnings of the school (e.g., primacy of the child, meeting kids and families where THEY are, focus on inquiry-based learning) are deeply rooted, which creates a coherent curriculum and an early education that has genuine integrity. We came to appreciate these qualities even more when we watched how our kids thrived in middle school. I have also heard very favorable things about the new Head, so I expect what was already great will become even better.

Posted August 28, 2014

This school is a shambles. Administrators are sourced from long-standing teachers rather than recruiting the best professionals for the job. Accordingly, major problems remain the same rather than receiving the benefit of new eyes to fix them. Most teachers too wear the malaise of tenure: low performance, low motivation and no accountability. The curriculum is set so that teachers teach to a ceiling rather than meeting children's individual needs. Academics are poor all round and administration remains out of touch with the standards being met at other independent schools and neighborhood public schools. Student attrition rates are very high as parents eventually realize problems are not being addressed. The better teachers walk away too. This school has lost the 'progressive' in its attempt to deliver progressive education. While a serviceable preschool, this school is not a serious elementary school.

Posted June 23, 2014

We HATED this school. While it's fine for preschool-aged kids, my kid ultimately learned nothing and was stuck in a class size that got smaller and smaller as all of the other kids left. Save yourself a headache and don't enroll.

Posted April 3, 2014

There are some fine teachers at this school. But, unfortunately, it's luck of the draw. Sadly, there is an absence of strong, active leadership here to bring some parity across the quality of the faculty. Some staff members have been here too long, they simply lack the perspective and enthusiasm to respond to matters that need attention. The academic curriculum too has some major gaps, especially mathematics. From about age 5 & 6, most parents supplement math out-of-school to ensure their kids keep up with the state curriculum. This school could be great, but needs someone at the helm who can implement the necessary changes to make it happen.

Posted April 1, 2014

My son is a graduate of Corlears School and I could not be happier with his experience. He has taken to the 6th grade in ways I could not have imagined and i can see a direct result from his Corlears experience. Corlears was great for him as a boy, amazing academically (as a 6th grader they put him in 7th grade math in his new school, which is very academic itself), but most of all, he knows how to be an amazing world citizen: thoughtful, creative, and a critical thinker. A school is made of teachers and students, and both at Corlears are top notch. There are so many opportunities for parents to get involved and educated about the process, that if you come out of the school not understanding progressive education you've done yourself a disservice. It wasn't always easy for my son, and I didn't expect it to be, but now I have this young man who understands himself what his learning style is and knows how to advocate on his own behalf. Corlears' focus on early education is the key and is more important to his educational history than any other schooling he will go through. Strong roots result in strong, fruitful trees, and as the kids sing every week, their roots go down.

Posted March 31, 2014

Both my children attended Corlears through fifth grade, and they are now thriving in another school. Corlears gave them a terrific foundation, particularly in building social-emotional skills at an early age. And I really miss the child-centered learning approach now that my kids are in a more traditional environment, not to mention the super-nurturing feel of the school (teachers, facilities, parents,and so on). Lastly, I thought the 100% focus on early ed was a huge plus that is really hard to find elsewhere.

Posted March 25, 2014

I have two children who attend Corlears, a 5 year old boy and a 3 year old girl, as a family we could not be happier with the school and the education our children are receiving. Corlears is truly a community gem that few seem to know about. The staff are, without exception, amazing and the parent body great. My husband and I both come from a family of educators and we looked to them when we began our search for the right educational environment for our children, Corlears came top of the list. The development of both our children whilst at Corlears never ceases to amaze us and fill us with pride. They are nurtured, encouraged, challenged and supported in all aspects of their lives.

Posted March 21, 2014

I have a 4 year old boy who attends Corlears and we could not be happier with his experience. The staff is excellent - warm, committed, focused and dedicated. His development, both socially and educationally, has been incredible this year and I attribute much of that to his Corlears experience. Each time I walk through the door, I am truly grateful my son attends this school. It's a great educational environment and a warm community.

Posted March 19, 2014

We have two children at Corlears School (one boy & one girl) and we coulden't be happier! Corlears has a very warm nurturing environment with a lot of personal attention. The children surprise us every day with something new they have learned at school. There is a strong sense of community at Corlears and as a family we have made many new friends. We feel very lucky to be able to send our children to a school like Corlears.

Posted July 10, 2013

My daughter just finished her 5th year at Corlears. (Heading into 3rd grade here in the fall). I largely credit the school for the compassionate, inquisitive, and confident person she is growing into. The teachers here are extremely dedicated and truly adept at supporting and nurturing each child individually. My daughter has been continually challenged in areas in which she naturally excels, and has been continually supported in areas in which she needs extra assistance. I originally found the school by meeting some of the older children here who impressed me to no end. By the time children leave here after 5th grade, they know so much about themselves and about the kind of learners they are, they are supremely well prepared to move on to middle school and, in fact, to meaningfully participate in choosing their next school for themselves. Corlears is a strong, interesting and involved community of parents and children. Our family is extremely happy here.

Posted January 28, 2013

I couldn't be happier with Corlears for my 7-year-old boy. And he couldn't be happier to go to school each day or do his homework at night. His teachers, both in the 4/5s (preK and K) and now in the 6/7s (1st and 2nd grade), have exceeded my expectations with regard to nurturing both his social and academic skills. Corlears is exactly the kind of school where I want him to spend his formative elementary years. Why? For starters, teachers really want to get to know your children and their strengths and weaknesses and help them grow as individual learners; the curriculum and culture allows for interaction between upper and lower grades so children as early as the 2/3s learn to navigate the community with confidence; the children are spoken to with respect and held to a level of social responsibility. In other words, children acquire more than smarts during their years at Corlears. It's a place where the head of school greets every child by name as they enter in the morning, and where children are happy and love learning. To reference a review below: I hope my son does not "get over" what he is experiencing!

Posted January 28, 2013

Our 4 year daugther entered preschool at Corlears last year. Since then we could not have asked for a better environment for her. She loves school and feels incredibly safe, happy and comfortable. The atmosphere is warm, loving and nuturing and Corlear's approach toward young children is totally unparalled. It is incredibly reassuring that her teachers know her so well and are able to create situations that she will always thrive in and feel comfortable in. In addition, her teachers do a great job communicating the progress of the children to the parents. The experience has been a great one for our family.

Posted December 31, 2012

Corlears is a good school for girls who are above-average readers. The teachers, and certainly Thya, the head of school, are not equipped to deal with boys. My son's experience at Corlears took a long time for him to get over. I'm posting this so other parents will be forewarned and think hard before making a commitment to this school. These are important years in your child's life -- talk to other parents outside the school to get a feel for what it's like.

Posted October 24, 2012

Ask parents of 7 year old boys or older (if you can find any) what they think of the school. You'll get a very different response than you will from parents of children 6 and younger. The school is great in a few ways, but lacking in many important areas and most of the teachers are not skilled in dealing with children past first grade, especially if they have the misfortune of being male.

Posted September 27, 2009

Great attitude towards education they try to make both disciplined and enjoyble. The extension due for completion 2010 will allow a complete elementary school and improve facilities which at present are tight. Child teacher ratio is circa 6. The parent involvement is strong as is the Principal who leads the school very well.

Posted November 15, 2006

Corlears offers an exceptional learning environment with great attentiveness to students' needs. Our daughter has thrived there. The facilities are very good, the curriculum impressive. The cultural and ethnic diversity of the student body is truly impressive, as are the quality of the parents and students.

Posted April 5, 2006

Great one to one and highly attentive to individual students

Asian 0% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

School start time
  • 8:45 am
School end time
  • 3:20 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • David Egolf
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school does not have a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Little Red/Elizabeth Irwin