No rating

De la Salle Academy

Private | 6-8 | 145 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $799,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,580.

Posted October 5, 2013

De La Salle Academy is not just a school, it's a community, a family, a home. I am a current 8th grader here at DLSA and I couldn't have made a better choice than coming into this school. Not only are the students friendly and supportive, but the faculty is equally as helpful. DLSA is a place where you can be yourself, you will not be judged. Keeping in mind that this is my last year here at DLSA, I'm not worrying about missing my friends. The friends I have now are lifelong friends. Additionally, considering that the school is so small, the teachers really get a good sense of who you are, whether it's about academics or not! In a class, you can get good attention from every teacher individually even. DLSA is all about community and belonging. For me, personally, I have two families. One, my ACTUAL family and two, my DLSA family. DLS is really like a family. I mean, if you have a brother or sister at home, you may have your ups and downs, but in the end, WE ARE FAMILY :) and I love every single one of my brothers and sisters (and moms and dads...)

Posted June 25, 2013

I am please to be able to give some insight on De La Salle Academy. DLSA is my alma mater; I graduated from this school in 1990 - it seems like a life time ago. De La Salle provides gifted children from low income families the opportunity at a high quality education that may otherwise not have been attainable. Through the help of sponsors and donations, the school makes up the difference that the parents of these talented kids could not afford. I was fortunate that the school board believed in me and accepted me among thousands to attend. I firmly believe that De La Salle and the education and life lessons I learned there provided the foundation for who and what I've become today. I feel blessed to have been part of the DLSA family and am happy that many more generations of gifted city kids will have the same opportunities I was given.

Posted May 28, 2013

I am a student currently in 8th grade and I entered in 6th grade. This school, not exaggerating one bit, changed my life. Academically it pushed me to do my best and to work hard for the grades that I earned. There is also a strong community where everyone is there for you. The small-ness of it also adds onto the community because everyone gets to know each other well. I know this all sounds idealistic but it's true, this is a bubble from the real world but this place, this bubble also allowed me the extra time to find who I truly was and to learn about myself and my boundaries in life. It prepared me for the real world and it also brought me to have friends that are supportive and won't bring me down but actually push me up to do better and to achieve my goals. My friends are friends that I believe I will keep past high school and college, these are my life buddies. When I first came here, I thought that these people were crazy hugging me and actually being happy and so bright at school. Usually at public school you don't see those expressions, but at De La Salle those are common expressions. Happiness to be at school with supportive teachers and friends surrounding you.

Posted February 12, 2013

I know that my child (who is in the 8th grade now) really loves this school. Personally, I do not think she could have gone to a better middle school. Every teacher in DLS is not only very good at teaching, they are very supportive and encouraging. The principal is always around mingling with students around the school. Every subject in DLS is challenging, and one has to really learn to manage their time in order to get a great report card. DLS really puts a lot of emphasis on being a community member, being a leader, being the best student that YOU can be, and just taking all the opportunities that come your way. DLS not only helps you get to the best high schools in the country, the principal also keeps in contact with you throughout your education career and beyond. All in all, I believe that this is a really great school and a really great opportunity. They have their own website, so apply! :)

Posted November 11, 2011

While there is a learning curve - more in terms of learning time management and scheduling, rather than academically, we are so happy our son is in this school. He is struggling to keep on top of his homework right now, but he will get there. Nevertheless, he feels he made the right choice in moving to this school, is happy and has many friends among classmates. It certainly seems as nurturing and supportive of academically inclined children as we initially thought. It was worth the work to enable him to be accepted. He was so thrilled to get that letter. The principal and his staff all seemed totally committed to empowering the children to reach their potential and go on to great schools. We look forward to seeing our son flourish here.

Posted September 29, 2010

All schools should be modeled after DLSA. I have a child in 7th grade and this school is just beyond awesome. Subjects are wonderful and taught very well. The Principal is accessible and treats you with respect and dignity. Everyone from the teachers to staff and students treat you like a person and everyone is just wonderful and caring. The best choice we ever made was to have our child go to DLSA. You won't regret it.

Posted May 14, 2010

De La Salle is a great place. No, even better. Here at DLSA, the teachers are smart and they care for the children, and they actually want them to succeed. They are also nice to the parents. Here, they don't only teach about how to be smart,but they also give you love, and moral teachings. It makes you feel like a real family. The principle is the best. He REALLY cares about the children, and they all look up to him. He is a perfect example, and a great man.

Posted February 14, 2010

De la salle acaademy is a place not only where you can excel academically but excel socially and to widen the range of thought. It is a place not only where you can strive for sucsess but a place where you feel loved and cared for. I am currently a student at de la salle academy and i feel all these things and so do many of my other community members . Its such a wonderful atmoshpere adb any child is lucky to be there

Posted February 1, 2010

Wow. The people are great. The teachers are great. The opportunities for success are so close. A truly remarkable place that has changed my life. I have great friends, a great education, and great morals. Thank you DLSA. The principal is great too. He talks to every student and knows each and every student very well. He is funny and a great leader. Perfect for running a school for academically gifted children. Thank you Brother Brian. The teachers are amazing. They make you laugh yet intimidate you enough into learning respect. They are brilliant and highly qualified for teaching. I never thought I'd be friends with my teachers. Thank you my wonderful teachers.

Posted December 24, 2009

I love De La Salle academy. Not only is it academically challenging, you'll be in a safe environment and be taught to make a difference in this world. I am a student in my last year and I must say that you will always have to go through the various hardships in middle school, but you'll come out of De La Salle a much stronger individual than when you started your De La Salle experience. I recommend De La Salle Academy 100% -Z.Y

Posted October 6, 2009

i am actually a student at de la salle academy and i personally have to say that it is a wonderful school.I know that when when i leave de la salle academy i will leave with great memories

Posted September 20, 2009

Greatest school, and atmosphere I have ever been in. I grew morally and academically wise, it was phenominal as well. It's a challenge, definitely, but it was definitely worth while, and it's just so inexplicable the feeling and mindset change you go through from the time you enter to even after you graduate. I cannot thank De La Salle enough, especially all of the faculty members, for how much they impacted and improved my life. Great school, wouldn't think about it twice!

Posted June 29, 2009

De La Salle Academy is a wonderful school. It helped me find who I was and it gave me a challenge. Everyone knew who you were my the first couple of months of school. The students are friendly and the teachers are helpful and insightful (not always so uptight either.) I enjoyed my time there, but I will hold my experiences at the new middle school. Thank you De La Salle. - N.C.

Posted June 10, 2009

Great school, but it needs serious renovation. Everything looks so old and dirty. I don't want kids to get sick. Also, they need to make the library and computer rooms bigger.

Posted November 26, 2008

I am a former student from De La Salle Academy. I attended De La Salle for seventh grade, but unfortunately I moved during the summer before the eigth grade. Saying that De La Salle is a good school is an understatement. It was the first school that actually challenged me. It's like everyone is your friend there. Everyone wants to help you. De La Salle taught me to never limit my possibilities and I admire them for that. Thank You De La Salle Academy. - Dora

Posted September 10, 2008

when I first came to the school, I hated it because I am not the kind of person to be so happy like the other kids. As I started school, i met some extrodinary people. This school is the best school that you can send your child to. The enviorment is so peaceful. I could dress up in a monkey suit and no one would laugh at me. I feel very comptable and safe in this enviorment. The students are willing to help you in need and you get ' adopted' by the older kids. They help you when your in need. The teachers stay after school everyday to help you with your homework. I really recommend this school. This school helps you find who you really are and exposes you to the real world.

Posted August 8, 2008

I came to this school in the the seventh grade as a smart kid, but I was always afraid to let it show. I never trusted anyone, I guess it is safe to say, I hated the world. By the time I graduated, I was a Public speaker, who could stand up for himself, I became unafraid to show the world who I am and what i could accomplish. This is more than a school, it is a community of people who want to make their mark on the world.

Posted May 25, 2008

De La Salle is home away from home for alot of the students at DLS, including my daughter. Prior to my daughhter's enrollment to DLS I was concerned about her social and emotional needs to a new new school. It was a smooth transition for her. It is such a warm and accepting environment for students. Brother Brian and the staff are genuinely concerned about each individual, it's reaaly heart warming for parents and students alike. I am so grateful that she's in a school that supports her emotionally and academically. TY DLS.

Posted May 1, 2008

My daughter now 19 also attended De La Salle, and has gone on to do well even now that she is in college(Clark Atlanta University). I'm seriously considering my now 10 year old son going there as well.

Posted April 15, 2008

De La Salle is by far the best school i have ever been to. You learn more than just academics there, you learn to be a better person and build you own set of moral values

Asian 22% N/A

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Brian Carty
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NAIS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Spanish

Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Gym
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

Performing arts
  • Drama

School culture

• Organize cultural events
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

202 W 97th St