No rating

Highway Christian Academy

Private | PK-7

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $505,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Posted December 28, 2012

I was told by a few people that this was the school to go to for academics. I do not see that I had my child there and I found so much wrong. The television is always on, the teacher has her own personal television she is watching, there is no cafeteria, no library, not much of anything. The staff is clueless,rude and soooo unprofessional. The homework is not checked. I can go on and on. I believe maybe at one time they could have been a good school, but I do not see them as a good school for my child. Did I mention they are greedy for money but where does the money go because its not invested in the children. They have nothing for them. Research a little more you can find a better school. I give this school no ratings(the one star was an accident) and all the ratings are saying the same things then there must be some truth to it not just one parents opinion.

Posted July 10, 2012

My son attended Highway for the past year and while I think the teachers give the students a decent foundation; the administration is HORRENDOUS. They lack professionalism as well as common sense. When I went to interview, the woman conducting was eating McDonalds and talking with a full mouth. Her office reeked of onions and she had the worst attitude. For the amount of money they collect between tuition, book fees , and trips as well as candy sales you would think they would brighten up the place or add some extracurricular activities. My other issue was several times when I went to visit the children were left unattended and in chaos. By the way, what's with the sleeping "security" guard?? I use that term loosely.

Posted January 30, 2012

My son attends HCA now. He has been there for 2 years. He has learned a lot but it now time for him to move on. A good soild foundation; academically they are good but the Administration Staff is horrible. Attitudes all the time; and they do not know how to speak to you. When I came in to register my son; I was in the office and one of the staff members had the radio blasting WLIB 1190 gospel radio station. She had to repeat her question to me a few times before she could hear me. No professionalism at all.... Who is the principal? I have never met him or seen him before...

Posted July 29, 2009

Academics in this school depends on the teacher your child will have. There are some teacher's that's very good and they children adore them. Other teacher's need to leave there personal life etc. out of the classrooms. To me, it feels like the teacher's walk on straws. Administration there is a toss up. They are not very professional. She The classroom sizes are getting smaller and smaller. My child was blessed to have the best teacher's this school offered and she's very smart. I just wished that they could've challeged her more. I would have to agree with the other parents, if your looking for extracurricular activities, you're looking in the wrong place. You will not find it here!!!! I would also like to point out, the entrance door does not close all the way all of the time and I believe someone should be downstairs at all times.

Posted May 3, 2009

I attended Highway for many years. From PreK to Eighth grade. This is an excellent school for academics but seriously lacks extra curricular activties and i dont believe all of the teachers are certifies beinq that it is a family run adminitration. The administration needs a serious attitude adjustment also. I always wonderes where all of the money for tuition went to because there were not any type of activties, games, snacks, movies, There was nothinq. I learned alot in that school and i commend their academic ability because I came out a scholar, but I see this school closing soon because of dissatisfied parents and over priced tuition.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 1, 2008

Highway is a good school for academics. My daughter is doing good. They need more programs for the childern(computers, dance, arts). They need better security anybody can walk in the building. Also, there is no PTA and they charge for everything.

Posted January 11, 2008

Highway is a great school for academics. My son who is 4 and in pre-K for 4 year olds, is already reading, writing his name and counting up to 100! I think the administration needs an overhaul, as it is a family-run administration. The tuition is very pricey compared to the benefits these children should be reaping: air conditioning, 21st Century technology (computers), better lighting and more extracurricular activities (how about music, art, dance?). I am looking to enroll my son to an environment that has all these things and more because he deserves it! Parents need to see what their tuition is getting them besides the academics, as the children's learning ability is a partnership with the faculty.

Posted January 7, 2008

The academics are great but the staff needs a attitude adjustment. They are over priced and they should offer tutoring/resource during or after school. If they don't want to pay a tutor then they should try to get school interns.

Posted July 5, 2007

Daycare is excellent! I have two children enrolled at Highway.( K2 and K3) The teachers show a great deal of love and patience with my children and are concerned about me.

Posted July 3, 2007

i thik they are greedy for money and don't provide enough extracurricular activities even during the summer. where is the money going?

Posted March 9, 2007

My daughter is on Highway from 1 year and 6 month with pull ups to now she is on 3rd grade I'm so happy.the academy is very good my daughter learn a lot the teachers are so respectful the religion education is fantastic and the after school with different programs like,movies, karate,dance,basketball or computer is a great ideas.How about the summer camp my daughter go every year she love the trips zoo,apple picking,parks,rolled-blades,bowling I love Highway I recommends to the parents who looking for strong academic education

Posted December 20, 2006

My child has been at the school since 3 yrs old. The school has improved, but they can use more improvement. Too many fund raisers and nothing to show for it! What are they doing with the money. You pay for everything at the school, so where is the money going?

Posted July 19, 2006

High Way is a great school as far as academics, but as far a activites they have NONE!. The younger children rarley do any art's an crafts or anything but run around the class room and watch T.V and the school does not provide enough toys or anything for the younger children to play with. I also think that the kids are watching way to much TV in the class room, and not doing enough activites. For all the money that we are paying for our children to attend this school they should have Air Condition and be able to provide MANY activites for the children. This is a Great school for learning but if you want your child to be involved in any kind of activites High Way is not the school for you...

Posted September 18, 2005

Expenive school. Want kids to write cursive at 3 years old.

Posted August 29, 2005

The academic program is excellent. The environment of the school condusive for children who are used to small settings.It is an extremely safe environment. However, the extracurricular activities are lacking. Parents are very involved with the school. Parents work with the teacher to help the child have a successful year.

Posted July 20, 2005

Highway teaches the children academics very well and excellent religion classes but they need more activites for the kids such as art classes.

Posted July 13, 2005

Highway has great academics, but needs more sports,and other activities, for Highway not to have a gym is insane for the amount of the tuition that we parents have to pay. The tuition is as much as my rent. If they would lower the tuition I know many parents that would love to send their children there just for the academic program alone.

Posted April 22, 2005

The academic programs are above that of public schools I feel that my daughter learned alot while attending pre k. The teachers are okay. The administration is lousy. The principal has a 'because I said so attitude' when ever you ask question on how the school is ran. There is alot sickness amongst the students, and because parents pay tuition they feel that they must send their child to school ill.

Asian 8% N/A

Affiliation
  • Pentecostal
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

132 E 111th St