No rating

East Harlem School At Exodus House

Private | 4-8 | 121 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $505,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Posted September 4, 2014

When this school was introduced to my family i thought it was a good fit for my son. Initially i believed the head of the school was in the best interest for all students. Fortunately i learned that he felt that he needed to protect the females and belittle the males. He had all students bowed to him as the entered the school. He did have them eat a well balance vegetarian meal but, at what cost. First if the student did not eat all the had a demerit card taken from them and secondly if any food had fallen on the table they were to pick it up and eat it. What I will say the teachers were decent educators with the exception of removal of demerit cards if a student dropped a pencil on the floor and failing to ask permission to pick it up. I am sorry i put my son through this but , if he had not he would not be attending one the better private school on a full scholarship.

Posted July 23, 2013

EHS is not for everybody,words of wisdom from the Co-Founder & Head of School himself. What he is, is a bully with an inherited. I REMOVED my child from this school after 1 too many run ins with the head of school. My child had been in EHS for only 2 years, had good grades, & had nothing but delightful said about her by her teachers throughout her time at EHS, as well as the school she attended prior. After going to an open house, I was convinced that attending this school would be an enormous opportunity for my child; I would soon find out that this opportunity came at a cost. My child was berated, & ridiculed in the presence of her peers Instead of acting as a leader & a pillar of the community that he prides his self on being; he alienated my daughter & tore her down with negative comments. Not only is EHS is not the place for my child, it is not the place for anyone s child. As long as he is running this school, he is doing the East Harlem Community & our future leaders a disservice. Parents if you are considering sending your child to this school, please reconsider. Do your HW & know that there are always others options out there

Posted October 30, 2012

I'm glad I made the choice of not letting my chid go to this school. At first I was intrigued w the fact that classes are small n school is private. However, after going through the application process and interview, husband and I had a change of mind. It was the Director of the school who seemed intimidating to children in our presence. He actually makes the boys bow down to him as a greeting... Although he stresses discipline we detected something from twisted, least to say, about the director. We chose St Ann for our child and we are happy with our choice and so is our child. Don't be fooled by school image, check their educational records. Do your homework on school and director!

Posted June 6, 2012

East Harlem School is not as cracked up as it seems when you first go there. There are so many flaws about this school that it's ridiculous. Especially the head of school, he has anger issues and he needs to do something about it. He curses at children and he also makes fun of children. Do not sign up for the East Harlem School. Even eight graders want to leave when there is only a couple of weeks of school left and the first thing they always say is I can't wait to leave Ivan

Posted May 29, 2012

It s so sad and immature how the administrator of this school has to post fake parent POSITIVE reviews to make his school look good for those parents, guardians, and families interested in finding a descent, honorable, academically rich, and respectful school. Mr. Hageman's school is the opposite of all the above. He fails to respect his students and families. The school is academically behind. What's being taught in the core classes can be found online. Mr. Hageman is the worst bully any child will ever meet! It s a real shame that his school is still in existence, he calls it an ELITE school, don t make me laugh. More like prison treatment and he's the children s' biggest mental and emotional abuser. He thinks because he has a wealth board of trustees and sponsors that he can treat others like SH--. His staff is weak and they are also guilty of bulling the children, they are bystanders. They watch the mistreatment, they follow his practice, and they do not have the guts to stand up for these poor defenseless children. Then they walk around the street smiling at parents like they are the nicest people ever. CROOKS!!!

Posted May 8, 2012

A horrible experience. One of our biggest regrets is that we subjected our child to this bizarre environment. My son, now an adult and a college graduate, looks back at his treatment by the director as mentally abusive. Students and parents are treated with extreme disrespect. Oddly, they think this is preparation for the real world, but unless you are planning on going to prison, you do not need this type of preparation. If you are used to being treated with common courtesy, you are in for a big shock. If your child needs shock treatment or needs to be scared straight then this is the place for you. If you want a safe place for your child to learn and grow, look elsewhere. The few perks are not worth the emotional damage.

Posted May 7, 2012

The East Harlem School is not for every family. There is a time and place for everything. I don t think the time for my child to receive an education should be wasted on disciplining someone else s child. My daughter strived at EHS. She grew as an individual and as a student. Many of the skills she learned at EHS, she has carried to high school and they are working well for her. The head of school can be intimidating at times but he does care about his students. In the real world and the work force there are always intimidating individuals and EHS teaches students how to deal with them. You must pick and choose your battles and have conviction despite the opinion of others. Many times I am amazed by my daughter, when she wants to make her point she comes with supporting facts and a prepared argument and multiple rebuttals. However, I always encouraged her to think things through and to anticipate what others are going to do and say. I appreciated the extended day, the weekly progress reports and the special events my daughter had the opportunity to request to be a part of. I always felt my child was safe. The halls were always clean and quite.

Posted April 21, 2012

I hate the East Harlem School. Im a 6th grader currently and I cant wait to leave this school. There are so many things that are horrible about this school that I dont have enough space to write them. The director seems nice when you meet him but he isnt, at all. I really hope that you trust me and my opinion when I say this school is not worth the struggles. Everyday is just another day where creativity is sucked out of the students bit by bit.

Posted December 4, 2011

The folks at this school are working hard to make students and families understand what it takes to get a better than decent education in this country. Too many people think that good (or less than good) is good enough. Forget about it, folks. To succeed you need to meet your personal best (or go beyond it), AND have the people around you (family, community, all of it!) supporting you. This school does what it can with whatever you are willing to give it. Sign up, go in, give it your all, and you will reap a lifetime of rewards.

Posted November 8, 2011

My family has had the most humiliating experience at this school. The administration has violated my childs privacy and have stripped her from her dignity and self confience. They do not care at all about the opinions and suggestions made by students or parents. The school does not welcome a good relationship between the staff, teachers, and students. The school prides itself in teaching kids about good public speaking but they are hipocrites because the minute a parent or student expresses their own opinions or challenges anything about a situation, the family will be subjected to retaliation. I have pulled my daughter out of this school. I beg parents NOT to send thier children to this school. I would love to speak to other parents who have had a similar experiences with the school. We cannot allow our children to suffer in the hands of these monsters.

Posted June 14, 2011

I was referred by a friend about this school in which she said was outstanding. After having my child attend this school for 11 months I am sad to say that I am extremely disappointed with the school. During the 11 months of my child attending this school all the events were not well thought out or organized, including the stepping up ceremonies or graduations. I am also extremely disappointed with the way 5th and 6th grade parents are treated here. The principle has a "god-complex" because makes the students bow to him every morning which I believe is unnecessary and has nothing to do with education. The school implies the students to be their own person yet they are not allowed to speak their minds or have opinions or they will be penalized. In closing, I will not be allowing my child attend this school next year and I do not recommend any student to apply to this school. It is an utter DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

Posted October 1, 2010

I saw the conduct first hand while working near the East Harlem School in construction. Being approached by a certain official at the school...he does what he can to get your name than makes a complaint to bosses. He goes out of his way as if construction workers across the street from the school are his students, employes, kitchen staff, to cause problems. Very bizzarr behavior.

Posted May 27, 2010

EHS is a good school, but like in every school it does have it's glitches. The teachers are very dedicated to the students but there must be a problem because, there's a big teacher turn-over in this school. My son has been attending two years now and every year there has been teachers leaving, just staying the one year. Discipline seems to be a little more important than learning. The students get demerits for any little thing and suspended for nonsense. I think the action of suspension should be taken when there is a very serious matter at hand, not just because a student was talking or fooling around standing on line, thats just ridiculous. This school is ran like a military school. If your child doesn't eat all their lunch, there goes a demerit! All this over bearing discipline might just turn the parent and student against the school.

Posted September 10, 2009

The East Harlem school is a place where parents can be sure their children will receive the education of an Elite private schools of Manhattan in East Harlem. The discipline, dedication and overall enviroment of the school is something rarely seen in NYC.

Posted August 29, 2009

I have been in EHS for three years and I am going to graduate next year. In my point of view this school gives many opportunities and expectations. No other school is like this one.The academics in this school are great. Throughout 5-7 grade, you get to learn about leadership skills so that when t you are in 8th grade you get to become leaders and role models for the other students. There is a Saturday program for enrichment and extra help on school work. EHS provides help in choosing high schools and will continue helping you until you get to college. I strongly recommend this school for everybody.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 3, 2009

My son is a student at EHS. He is graduating this year 2009. This was a good experience for us and challenging. My son was struggling when he entered EHS and although he still struggles at times he have confidence in himself that he will pull through. He didn't have that before. He is sad to move on but excited to produce what he has learned in EHS.

Posted April 9, 2008

I was very surprised when I read these comments. Especially the one from the teacher . My son has been going to this school for the past two years and has been offered good opportunities which if he would have been attending another school he wouldn t have gotten. His grades have improved dramatically since he enrolled from parochial school. I do agree that they have strong discipline standards and that they sometimes go overboard on certain things but some kids need that in order to progress. The teachers are young and I think that is helpful in building relationships with the kids. They do have prior experience but like any other job for some it s a stepping stone to move forward. I personally feel that they push the boarding school subject a little too much. So much that I feel they re pushy with it. More than half of this years graduating class is going away to boarding school. Their curriculum is advanced in comparison to other schools and I do agree special needs students should not apply. I m sure that an opinion is based on one s personal experience. What works for one family will definitely not work for another but I m glad it has worked for me.

Posted November 9, 2007

I would not recommend this school for anyone to attend.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 11, 2006

If you are a working parent, expect to take time off from work for the multiple suspensions your child will receive. Special needs students need not apply. Discipline appears to be more important than learning, which does not set this school apart from public schools--though class sizes are comparatively small (15-20). While certainly bright, almost all the teachers are inexperienced and very young. And as they tend to possess no long-term commitment to teaching or find themselves unhappy in the school, there is an extremely high turnover in teaching staff. Very few of the students go on to the boarding schools they use as carrots for enrollment at this school. If you aspire to send your child to boarding school, but know little about the process, educate yourself to make decisions yourself. Don't relinquish your power to the school.

Two or more races 36% N/A
Asian 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Courtney Knowlton
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

309 E 103 3rd St