No rating

Holy Name Of Jesus School

Private | PK-8 | 40 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $799,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,580.

Posted January 8, 2013

Holy Name is exceptional. The teachers go above and beyond their call of duty. The principal, assistant principal and staff are all amazing and have an open door policy. Any questions you can go and speak to them any time of day. The school has been amazing in teaching my children. You could not ask for more. The classroom sizes are great for one on one teaching. The technology and arts programs are just astonishing. Please visit Holy Name of Jesus. Enroll your child today. You will not be disappointed.

Posted January 7, 2013

Holy Name is truly a one of a kind school on the upper Westside. It has exceptional teachers that go beyond their everyday job duties to ensure that the children are learning. Holy Name offers small class sizes which allow teachers the ability to work more one on one with the students. The school offers an onsite afterschool program which provides homework help. The principal and Assistant Principal are always willing to meet and support students and parents. HNS is just an overall fantastic school.

Posted January 6, 2013

I am from the Class of 1980. After graduating from Holy Name, I went onto The Loyola School and subsequently Canisius College in Buffalo. I recently returned to university in Dublin,Ireland, as a mature student to undertake a dual Honors BA degree in English and Human Development and was accepted into Trinity College Dublin to undertake my teacher qualification, which I completed with Honors in 2010. I am a product of the education I received at Holy Name and the teachers I had there have shaped me to become the educator I am today as I now work in special needs settings and disadvantaged areas, which are very similar to the Upper West Side I grew up in. Catholic education in Ireland is obviously a given; however, in New York City it is seen as a privilege and the fact that low income families are willing to sacrifice so much for their kids to attend Holy Name School is a true testament to the School's value. PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE OUR SCHOOL!!

Posted January 3, 2013

Holy Name of Jesus is a diamond in the rough. Go to the open house this January and you will see what I mean. I expected to go there to just see what will be offered to my son entering elementary school. When I arrived I was amazed by the technology offered in each classroom. The arts taught here as well is such a breath taker. My boys have been here for four years now and I love Holy Name. The teachers give your child the undivided attention they need. Your child actually learns here. Don't pass up your opportunity to give your child a great education. Stop by and see for yourself what I'm talking about.

Posted December 22, 2012

As a former student I cab honestly say that Holy Name has molded me into the person I am today. The unbreakable bonds I have today with my forner classmates is remarkable. The teachers instilled so much in us that it is as if we are losing a family member by the possible closing of this wonderful school. The teachers actually care about the students which is hard to find in the school system. Holy Name has been around for quite some time and there is a reason for that. It's a wonderful school to send your child if you want them to have the proper educational experience.

Posted December 21, 2012

This is the best Catholic school in Manhattan! The teacher care and go above and beyond to help the children succeed. The Vice Principal is the greatest and the cost is the lowest of all Catholic schools in Manhattan!!! Simply Wonderful!

Posted December 21, 2012

No other Catholic school in the area that has a computer LAB, Science LAB and an AMAZING theatre program led by professionals! Quality education and still has the lowest tuition in Manhattan!

Posted December 19, 2012

I was a student of Holy Name back in the 80's. HNS prepared me to ace my exams and granted me a seat at BX Science as well as Notre Dame HS. I sent my eldest daughter to HNS after the public school system failed to stop the bullying she endured in 4th grade. She was welcomed with open arms. After my son graduated 5th grade from a nearby school June 2012, District 3 decided to oust him despite having 4's on his State exams and despite having been a District 3 student as of pre-K. After losing my appeal to District 3's decision, I decided to enroll him at HNS for 6th grade. It took a bit of adjustment but yesterday he was named Student of the Month!!! How awesome is that! The only time my son was ever honored was during graduation. Praising children throughout the school year is necessary to give them the motivation to keep doing well. The idea of HNS closing is simply unbearable. I have another child that I was hoping would start the pre-k program come September. The teachers are caring, the student population is diverse, the neighborhood is wonderful and the school is reinforcing our personal teachings to raise children with morals. Help Save Holy Name School.

Posted December 19, 2012

Holy Name provides an educational curriculum based on religious beliefs and values, allowing your child to develop in their understanding of themselves, their connection with God and their affiliation with others. This school upholds the education of your child to their maximum potential; the teachers respect and promote genuine learning experiences. Your child will attain knowledge and develop the skills necessary for success in superior educational pursuits and a broad range of vocations. They offer a community atmosphere in which your child can confer and live out the principles upon which their education is based. Children are encouraged to contribute to humanity and to assume leadership positions in shaping public attitudes and agendas. They learn to question, establish confidence in their own excellent choices in life and to experience the sense of achievement stemming from individual accomplishments and responsibility. You can be certain that your child will obtain a strong academic education in an atmosphere structured to have a lasting value. Holy Name is an amazing school and I look forward to all the success that lies ahead!!!!

Posted December 18, 2012

I am a graduate of Holy Name School (Class of 1981). My brothers and sister also graduated from this great school. Cousins have graduated as well.The teachers always pushed us to do our best and taught us to take pride in everything we did. It was our home away from home. Holy Name has come a long way compared to other Catholic Schools in the neighborhood. They have introduced technology and computers into the classroom and music and theater into the curriculum. The after-school program they offer is quite helpful for working parents. For my family, Holy Name is not just a school but a tradition. My two older children are graduates and my son is currently attending. When my granddaughter was born, we knew where she would attend Pre-K. The tuition and fees have always been lower than the other schools in the area even with all the extras the school offers. Some have issues with some teachers at the school but I have to say it is nothing compared to some of the teachers I have seen working for city schools. It is just a matter of working with the principal to try to come up with a solution. Holy Name will always have my vote as the best Catholic Elementary School.

Posted February 29, 2012

Amazing school, great community, and great neighborhood. Beautiful church, gym, classrooms, and recreational center. It is a school with a lot of history and tradition. It is a parochial school doing it's best to stay in the cutting edge. Tuition is cheap in comparison to other parochial and private schools. It is great to be surrounded in such an amazing atmosphere of loving and caring teachers and administrators.

Posted March 25, 2011

i was at this school in kindergarten and u pay alot of money to do nothing i can honestly tell u my three years in this school and I only went on 2 or 3 trips and one was across the street to famiglia! I highly not reccomend this school for your child.

Posted December 8, 2010

I find Holy Name to be a great enviroment for children. When you come to Holy Name, you are welcomed into a family that teaches excellent Catholic values. Being apart of the parish and seeing the young men and women that have come from that family, I wouldn't hesitate putting my child there. The teachers make the children feel like they are about to jump into a new adventure every day, and the children are eager to learn. From the smallest child in the Montessori program to the oldest young man or woman in eighth grade, they are all well- mannered and courteous to whomever they see in the street or walking the halls. They have a great respect for themselves and for the school. Holy Name is an excellent school to start a child's educational and social development in today's society.

Posted October 9, 2010

My daughter is currently in Kindergarden and she loves her class her teacher and her classmates. She comes home learning something new and a new prayer or song. She loves getting homework and is getting better paying attention. They are very organized and detailed with each student. You walk in the main door and is smiles everywhere. I know i made the right choice putting her in a catholic school compared to public school.

Posted June 28, 2010

My daughter has been enrolled in Holy Name for the past three years. In September she will start third grade. I'm very please with the school and the teachers. Its a family enviroment. The teachers are very inclusive of the parent. My daughter is very happy there.

Posted April 22, 2010

I love Holy Name school because they have made my son become a respectful young gentleman.

Posted June 16, 2009

This is a wonderful school! My son will be going to 3rd grade and I am a very satisfied parent. The teacher that I have had the pleasure of working with were simply amaming!

Posted January 17, 2009

This school is great. I am currently an 8th grader and a a part of the Class of 2009. I have attended this school since i was in 1st grade. I feel that this school has teachers who aren't only their to give you a book smart education but a life education too. They open up to you as if they were your friends. Since i have attended this school for so long I have an idea of the teachers who are more qualified and better. The current eight grade teachers Mr. Garcia and Ms. Brown are the best teachers there are. They prepare you fully for high school and the future things you are going to encounter in the real world when you grow up. I think if you put your child in this school you will not regret it.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 10, 2008

The worst school! Over crowded and 7th grade teachers have the worst attitude.

Posted February 17, 2008

I think this schools is on of the best kept secrets on the upper west side.If you talk to parents and ask them what they think of Holy Name, they will tell you they love it.That really drew me to this school. Parents are friendly and their is such a community feel among the students.The school has really embraced my son. My son has excelled even more academically.After two months he was named student of the month.He continues to thrive. The student are really challenged academically.Be prepared for quite a bit of homework....A recommend this school to everyone.Also the principal here is very nice, accessible, and he treats the student as a people.Also Ms. Eason in the school office is extremely wonderful!

Two or more races 5% N/A
Asian 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• John R. Joven
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

202 West 97th Street