Ps 333 Manhattan School For Children

Public | K-8 | 729 students

Posted May 7, 2014

Our son is in 5th grade. My wife went to UC Berkeley and I went to Harvard and a NYC private school. We are tremendously impressed with MSC. The teachers are extremely talented and fully engage the children in learning. Our child was inspired to become quite the reader. He has done very well on standardized tests. I was informed by a New York Times education columnist that the program is the same as that at "gifted and talented" schools. The school fosters a caring and inclusive environment. Each year one of the three classes is a mix of typical children and children with non-cognitive special needs. Recent changes include a terrific new principal. Most students are staying on through 8th grade. Many parents donate to supplement the school budget.

Posted September 26, 2013

I am a new parent in the school in second grade after leaving private school. So far we are thrilled! The school has been warm and welcoming, the other familes are incredibly engaged and interesting. So far the academic component has been on par with our private school experience but culturally the diversity in terms of race, class and differing physical abilities has already been a huge benefit for my son's learning experience.

Posted August 26, 2013

Having just received the results of the state wide tests for 2013 that were the most rigorous tests to date, we were elated that our two children who have been at MSC for 5 years got very high marks. We attribute this to the excellent instruction which prepared them for the new "common core" standards. As a parent I have to say that I really appreciate the parent community which is full of worldly, creative, motivated and well rounded individuals. We feel especially fortunate to have such a nurturing and challenging environment for our children.

Posted March 24, 2012

i have a first grader and 3rd grader at MSC and its really a great school. i have looked at a few of the negative reviews and I find them puzzling given that I have never encountered a parent that seemed anything other than thrilled with the school. Maybe they are in upper grades or just got very unlucky with a teacher. We are very discerning parents in terms of academic rigor and I would comment that its a tad lax on that front, but its nothing that you cannot make up for easily at home. Bottom line, its a happy, well-run school with great teachers. In K through 4th grade, that is really what you want, and the fact that you drop off and pick up from the classroom is so massive since the teachers interact with parents and caregivers constantly, and its easy to foster good relationships.

Posted November 9, 2011

I recently toured this school based on a recommendation of a friend whose son goes here. Based on my tour and my friends own happiness with the school, I'm considering sending my child there for middle school. I was quite happy with the Principal and Staff who answered all my questions and those of the other parents. The tours were lead by parents whose children currently attend the school. This gave me and the other parents on the tour an opportunity to speak to a parent who currently has a child in the school. No question was off limits. I also reviewed the school's State test scores, which show that compared to other schools in the area the school does well. My advice to any parent considering this school or any other school for their child is to do a tour, speak to other parents, review the state tests and tour other schools in the district to compare. Only by doing that will you be able to make a good choice on which school is right for your child. While I did read the comments and respect people's opinion's. I don't feel that they tell the whole story about the school. Not every school is right for every child. For me this school is right for my child.

Posted November 8, 2011

I used to attend MSC back in the 90's and It left me very unprepared for Middle school. I used to attend it back when the location was on 110th St. We used to knit, sit on rugs and have no strong academic challenges. I was very unprepared after i left the school, Hopefully now it has changed.

Posted October 26, 2011

Manhattan School for Children (M.S.C.) was an overly laidback school, to the point that it was ridiculous. I don't think that we began doing decimals until around fifth grade, when the normal beginning for this is in third grade. We had no strong or consistent math system until around third grade, which meant that the adjustment to this system threw me, and others of my classmates off. I don't think I ever saw the principal while I was at school there, which was from kindergarden until fifth grade, and yet she resisted and crushed all the attempts that my mother among other parents attempted to make the school another place. Another reviewer compared her to "Mussolini" and this comparison is not inaccurate. She is not all involved in any of the activites of the school. If the school manages to be successful, this is entirely because of the magnificent teachers, although not all of them qualify as such, and the permitted parental efforts. M.S.C. left me ill-prepared for middle school. Thanks. I would like to grant the school negative stars.

Posted October 26, 2011

It was an awful environment. If you look around just a little, you will find unhappy former students and their parents who either left the school or wished they had. :(

Posted September 13, 2011

I left MSC with an amazing feel of accomplishment after being there from kindergarten through fifth grade,in the class of 2010-2011. I left prepared for starting the DELTA program at BTW middle school. EVERY teacher, and faculty member of their staff does a superb job at helping all students. Teachers recommend books based on the students interest in the reading material type and reading level. Teachers help every student, and teach in an amazing way. Recess has various activities in progress, such as kickball, basketball, jumprope, mini ball games, and just friends hanging with each other. I never had more than forty five minutes of homework, if that. All teachers I've had thoroughly prepare us for any upcoming tests, months in advance. There have been VERY FEW incidents with bad monitors, who's behavior quickly improved after the principal was alerted. Special subject teachers are amazing at what they teach including art, dance, drama,sometimes music, storytelling, etc,and a brand new technology advanced greenhouse. Students in the elementary school are escorted by their classroom teacher to specials, and back again, with their teachers for usual subjects. This is an A+ school!!!

Posted July 17, 2011

This school has the reputation it has because the parents are so involved. The principal runs the school like Mussolini and if you are not in lock-step with her craziness, good luck. The teachers live in fear of her, the board of ed can't control her, the parents know if you are not on the bus, you are off. The curriculum is a big fail, but sadly, it's the best of the worst in the area. MSC is a great example of how the NYC school system just doesn't work, no matter how much effort is put in. I've been there 3 years, and I feel forced to move out of the city.

Posted February 28, 2011

We have had wonderful teachers, met special friends, and become involved in a caring community. MSC is a place our kids feel safe and happy, and enjoy learning!

Posted December 22, 2010

My kids and I love this school, all the teachers that my girls have had through the years have been EXCELLENT! thank you MSC

Posted October 10, 2010

MSC has always felt warm and welcoming. I now have two children attending. So far the teaching staff have been able to keep up with my children's academic needs while never making the work seem tedious or arduous. We have been lucky with our teachers; they have motivated their students to do an excellent job. MSC also has many extras that make it seem like private school, such as Art in a dedicated Art Studio, Dance in a beautiful dance studio, Storytelling, Drama, French, not to mention all the wonderful tie-ins with Teacher's College and Lincoln Center.

Posted June 18, 2010

My kids are very happy there, the school helps them to develop a sense of community. Parents are very much involved, the school has strong ties with Columbia University Teacher's College.

Posted May 8, 2010

my kids like going to school each day. they are learning, are supported by teachers, they have good friends, and the community is friendly.

Posted March 24, 2010

This is my daughter 2nd year in MSC. The teachers are very professionals and school staff are all very nice and friendly. My daugher loves the school.

Posted March 5, 2010

I'm a parent at the school and I'm sorry to hear that another parent isn't happy. We've been at the school for three years and have had nothing but stellar teachers who are 100% committed (coming to school on extra days to meet new families, working with other teachers on their own time for staff development, etc.) They also have amazing credentials. And while it might be true the administration can be a bit frosty at times, the fact that we have small class sizes and a limited number of classes per grade is a big plus. There are 9 kindergarten classes in our zoned school! Not the case at MSC.

Posted March 4, 2010

We've been at MSC for 5 years. The parents and kids are fantastic. Sadly, the quality of teaching has diminished over time and it seems directly attributable to a poor administration which is completely, and seemingly intentionally, isolated from the community. It's hit and miss as to whether you will have a fantastic teacher or a less than average teacher. There is no consistency, and the administration does not listen to parents.

Posted September 20, 2009

Great community - truly diverse, well rounded and strong. Also fantastic, caring, positive and helpful teachers and administrators.

Posted October 29, 2007

We have two children at MSC, and we are in our 4th year at the school. MSC has met, and in some areas exceeded, all our hopes for an elementary school. It's a special place.

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students64%

Students with disabilities50%
General population64%
Non-migrant62%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students57%

Not economically disadvantaged93%
General population88%
Non-migrant85%

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "C" for the elementary and middle school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 30%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 604 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.3

8.0

9.1

8.4

7.2

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.8

8.5

6.1

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.9

8.7

7.2

7.3

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.2

Parents40166%
Students16893%
Teachers3569%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

154 W 93rd St