Bard High School Early College

Public | 9-12 | 617 students

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted May 14, 2014

The curriculum is challenging but teachers give you at least a week or so for essays and its up to you to manage your own time when writing it. I acknowledge that there are many cliques and such but all schools have that. Sometimes I also wonder if it would be better if i went to a regular high school but i want a challenge. You are not forced to do anything so if you aren't up for a challenge then don't choose bard. If you aren't willing to pay the price for 60 credits and an associates degree then don't choose bard. If you think you can just slack off and procrastinate for four years then don't choose bard. The teachers are required to stay after school for thirty minutes so you can attend tutoring and get help. They just sit there and so nothing because no one takes advantage of such a great opportunity. There are also centers such as the writing and math center which can help you at any stage of your assignment. It is a school that sends you to college ready so that you won't get your face slammed by the first door you are going to go through. They aren't doing this for their reputation like specialized schools such as Stuyvesant and such.

Posted February 27, 2014

As an alumna (2011), I can say with confidence that I would not be the person who I am today if not for the life-changing education I received at BHSEC. My professors really challenged my thinking and supported both my personal and academic growth. When are cliques not evident? Finding the right group of friends may be difficult, but the overall community at BHSEC is incredibly inclusive. I agree with all of the comments about BHSEC's difficulty, and it may not be for everyone. It is intensive, but the pace and density of the material in the 9th and 10th grade will prepare you for the "college" leveled work, which in my honest opinion, is comparable to 100-200 leveled classes at competitive colleges. BHSEC teaches you to read critically, which is the foundation for learning how to structure an argument and having strong writing and oral communication skills. I am currently a junior at a highly selective private liberal arts college, and I can say with confidence that my learning experiences at BHSEC were more rigorous and fulfilling. I will never forget how passionate my peers and professors were. BHSEC inspires curiosity and a love for learning; that is priceless.

Posted January 9, 2014

Hello, I'm a freshman here in BHSEC and it is a hard school. After reading most of these comments I agreed with everyone. So far the atmosphere in Bard is a little intense for me. Sometimes I wonder why they even pick me. I'm very lonely in the school and yes there are cliques. But from what i notice from the older grades such things are diminished. Some teachers my appear not to care at first , but it is us the students to make the school, not the adults. We should take advantage of this opportunity actually.Maybe if Bard look a lot nicer so there would be more space and the teachers start adapting a slower pace BARD(esp with me around( will be number 10. Also Bard is not for everyone, nor is it a place for only logical,spontaneous, critical thinking kids -from the only weird lonely freshmen in Bard:) -also I'm African american and yes some racial sly comments do occur.

Posted December 28, 2013

I'm a student at Bard and I love it here. Yes it's a lot of work, a lot of students will get overly stressed out; I'd say about 5-10% of the students have to transfer out before Year One. But at that point everyone who is still there is able to manage the (at times disheartening) workload, and there is a really great appreciation for the school. To speak to the comment about bullying, I know there have been a few isolated incidents with the underclassmen, but the community here remains very welcoming. Yes there are 'cliques', but through every grade above and below me I've witnessed them slowly disappears as the grade gets older, until all that's left is a very supportive and friendly community. Additionally the college program is incredible. The electives such as American Education, Ethics, and History of Food foster really interesting discussions both in and most notably out of classes. With that said bard isn't for everyone. I would warn off those who seriously wish to pursue a specialized career. The art and STEM classes are definitely good but they are unmistakably intro courses and not specialized the way they would be at a tech school.

Posted October 15, 2013

I have heard that there is excessive bullying at Bard. Can any of the students speak to that? Thanks.

Posted May 26, 2013

If I can go back in time I would of saved myself and not went to bard. It's a horrible school and false advertised. It gives you so much work that it's impossible and the teachers are so unhelpful they wont help you they just make you"think about it" you go to meet the teacher and they just say you should write more. How does that help me write an essay. Anyways your stress level skyrockets at this school. The school work is unmanagable. A 6 page essay for Literature, with a Chemistry Lab Report, a math exam, and a history essay due all on the same day. That's crazy! This school is not diverse at all. Everyone has there own little cliques and no one comes out of it. It's very racist. All they white kids are together, the Hispanic kids are together. The black kids are together and then the Asians are together. Also this school is located in the projects so it's not a safe area for kids. I'm telling you kids the most I slept was 4hrs and I'm lucky that I'm able to even sleep for four hours. Make sure you kids really think about this school before you apply because I don't want you to go on the same road I'm going through.

Posted April 23, 2013

For bright motivated kids, Bard is probably the best high school in NYC. The student body is as, if not more, accomplished academically than Stuy, Lehman, or Bronx Science. The faculty are, as a rule, superb. The resources available to students in the arts, travel, languages, tutoring, specialized classes, college placement, and so on are amazing and without parallel. Most kids leave Bard with 1 to 2 years of transferable college credit. The only downside is: Bard is not for everyone. It's true that kids are treated more or less as college students the day they walk in. Like most good colleges, the burden of keeping up and doing the work is put on the student. Being bright isn't enough at Bard, you also need to work hard and be motivated enough to take responsibility for your own eduction. Bard does not hold student's hands or hand out credit for trying hard or give brownie points for school spirit. The focus is on academics and individual student growth. It's much like attending a small highly selective liberal arts college. A hands down wonderful place for the right kid, tricky at best for an average or unmotivated kid.

Posted November 12, 2012

I AM A FRESHMAN HERE. To be completely honest with whoever is reading this, I do not even know why I got into this school. My middle school was so easy its just looked good on my report card. Coming to Bard everything has started to change. Our first marking period came and I got my report card or what the teachers call "progress reports" and for the first time in my WHOLE entire school life, I got something under a B+. It was not a terrible thing but I just did not like it. The worst part about this is that, although I am still in school, I do not feel like I am learning anything AT ALL. The grades are really just grades and are nothing to me. Whats most important is that you know what you are learning. The workload is stressful and although you can have a "social" life, its hard to maintain your hobbies with the work. The teachers are helpful, but I just don't have the time to be going to homework help every after school! Now for those of you wondering whether this school is the right choice. If you are a very "smart" and "capable" person, come here ASAP. It will benefit you. Those who are ehh average like me. Dont even bother putting this school on your list. Its just not good.

Posted November 4, 2012

BHSEC has been the largest challenge of my life. I have worked incredibly hard, but that does not always show up in my report cards. I do know, however that I have learned an incredible amount and although there are days when I hate it I have no idea where else I would have gone. It's hard because I am still experiencing it right now so I do not have great perspective, but I know in a couple years I will be so grateful to have gone to BHSEC. Every student spends at least a semester hating the school, but I'm pretty sure every high schooler experiences that. The teachers are pretty great, students are very independent, and everyone is smart in their own way. The administration is very against BHSEC having anything that is like a normal high school, so no dances, or pep rallies, or even school bells. This is probably my least favorite part of BHSEC other than the amount of work (i get at least 4 hours of homework on an easy night). We have almost no school spirit. It sucks, but thats because we all spend so much time doing school work.

Posted October 22, 2012

Freshman at Bhsec and it only took the school the first 4 days to amaze me. Bard is a good challenge. We're different. #Bard: A Place to Think!

Posted August 24, 2012

In answer to some reviewer's comment, we have a great singing program! I took chorus at BHSEC for 2 years and loved it more than words can express. Every semester I felt challenged, and by my final semester I spent over an hour every week with the chorus teacher, working in a group of 2 or 3 students or working on my solos with her.

Posted July 3, 2012

As an alumna of this amazing school (Class of 2009), I can confidently say that the education BHSEC provides is world class. When I matriculated to a prestigious liberal arts college in New England, I was ahead of my peers because Bard made me solid writer, eloquent speaker, and a critical thinker. My four years at Bard were challenging. I cried many nights from exhaustion because of my long commute and never-ending homework. However, the challenge that Bard provided me strengthened me. It is not a place for everyone and please believe that not everyone makes it to Year One or to commencement day, but if you do, you will feel great pride and finally realize it was all worth it. If you are thinking of going to Bard, make sure you are committed to seeing it through and always remember your hard work certainly pays off. And if you want to send you child to Bard, make sure you are supportive of your student because they will need your help and your assurance.

Posted December 8, 2011

this school isn't as perfect as it seems but its still a wonderful school. I am a year 2 and I've grown soo much in the past four years, intellectually and socially. I've met all types of people here and the friends that I have made, we are very close. I love how all of the teachers are very dedicated to their students and their work. A teacher is rarely absent here and they often stay after school to help their students. I wish that there was more school spirit here and I wish that we had more social events although some people do try to foster a sense of community. Academics are important but at the end of the day, we are still teenagers and it would be nice to have some of the typical high school experiences (dances,etc). Overall I enjoyed my time here and I wouldn't change my experience for anything in the world. The pros definately outweigh the cons. But think hard before you come to bard because it is not your typical high school experience. A lot of kids that started out with me in 9th grade transferred or were asked to leave because they struggled to adjust to the environment, academically and socially.

Posted December 1, 2011

I love acedemics, but I also like the arts (singing, acting, etc.) Is Bard a good school for me? Is there any programs for, say, singing? Is there time to do stuff out of school? Thanks!!

Posted October 2, 2011

I attended BHSEC Queens. Was I overworked? Yes Did I enjoy the workload? Absolutely. Very rarely in one's life can one admit he/she is happily enjoying writing 8 page papers on Frued, reading political philosophy, and reviewing the elasticity chapter in your microecon textbook. While admissions counslers from other colleges might not see it, we are college students. We are treated as such, expected to deliver as such, and embrace ourselves as such.We are transformed into these "social nerds" who don't care about the stigma because we actually enjoy what were learning and develop amazing ways of maturity and can hold hour long conversations with our peers and professors about any topic. Our work ethic and character become immensely different. I currently attended Haverford College in Pa, and I love it here. Quite a few of my classmates are stressed and a little disillusioned, but once you've done year 1 and year 2 at bhsec, everything else becomes manageable (or even a little simpler!) I have friends from both bhsecs that have gone of to Williams, Brown, Vassar, Pomona, Carelton, and Rice that I'm sure they would agree with me.

Posted April 27, 2011

Best School Ever. Competitive but amazing! I will have free classes, cool teachers and many more students!

Posted February 7, 2011

I went to this school a couple of years ago and although the classes are challenging and the students are dedicated to their work it has it's faults. Most teachers don't care if you suceed. There isn't a great support system for the students who are struggling and I would say about 15% of students transfer out before their junior year. There also seems to be a huge divide in students interactions. Most students hang out with their own races and thats all. Overall I wish my experience at bard was better but I was in that 15 % that suffered. Bard wants to be so inovative that they forget to pay attention to the needs of it's students.

Posted October 20, 2010

i just started going to bard and so far i LOVE it! i love the people, i love the classes, i love (almost) all of my teachers, i love the enviornment, i love the way we're treated, i love that we have free periods, i love that school starts at nine, i love the class sizes.... im just so happy! i rave to all my out of school friends about it and they're all really jelous. yes, there's plenty of homework but we get plenty of time. i feel like everyone really knows what they're doing and it's SO nice to be challenged for a change.

Posted October 9, 2010

My daughter graduated from Bard High School Early College and loved her time there. It's just a really great academic environment that prepares kids to do anything they can dream of.

Posted June 15, 2010

All three of my kids have attended BHSEC and challenged each year to develop critical thinking and their own goals that extend beyond grades. BHSEC is not an easy school, but it is an excellent one.

Algebra II/Trigonometry

The state average for Algebra II/Trigonometry was 66% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 76% in 2013.

180 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 72% in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 77% in 2013.

167 students were tested at this school in 2013.

French

The state average for French was 95% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 74% in 2013.

Global History and Geography

The state average for Global History and Geography was 71% in 2013.

171 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Algebra

The state average for Integrated Algebra was 73% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Italian

The state average for Italian was 98% in 2011.

Living Environment

The state average for Living Environment was 77% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

Spanish

The state average for Spanish was 94% in 2011.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 80% in 2013.

165 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Regents Examinations to test high school students in English, math, global history and geography, US history and government, living environment, chemistry, Earth science and physics. Students must take at least five Regents Exams in order to graduate. Scores of 65 and above are passing; scores of 55 and above earn credit toward a local diploma (with the approval of the local board of education). The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: New York State Education Department

Not economically disadvantaged98%
Proficient in English97%
Non-migrant97%
Scale: % passing

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "B" for the high school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 73%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

525 E Houston St