Harlem Link Charter School

Charter | K-5 | 294 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $560,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Posted February 17, 2014

My school is Harlem Link Charter School, the little school that could. Harlem Link is a small, independent charter school with modest resources and no connection to the city's powerbrokers. Despite its comparatively low profile, Harlem Link methodically makes incremental gains as a committed and focused school community. Scholars at HL are nurtured and challenged with the goal of maximizing each child's potential. Parents are invited and encouraged to partner with school staff to create an environment that strives to meet the academic and social needs of every student. Of course, like any school, Harlem Link has its flaws: a number of new teachers with limited experience, and some turnover. However, the negatives are far outweighed by the positives. The Harlem Link leadership team and its teaching and support staff give the students their best efforts each and every day. As a result, my son has overcome significant obstacles and achieved critical goals during his four years at Harlem Link: A parent couldn't ask for more.

Posted October 3, 2013

Harlem Link is a great school with a different atmosphere in terms of the staff and building relations. My kids' teachers are so spot on in finding out what they need to become better scholars and actually set a plan to encourage the best learning environment for them. They also give suggestions for what we can do at home to ensure that we are all on the same learning page. Most of the teachers will not hesitate to send a text, call, or email to let me know what is going on with them, which is important to know right away in case I need to have a conversation with my kids about what is expected of them during instructional time. I like that we have alumni services seeing that I now have upper graders and I appreciate that activities are in place to make sure they keep in contact with other students and their favorite teachers long after they would have graduated. My biggest issue though is we don't have strong enough parent involvement, we are not as united as we should be when helping to make decisions in building a better school. Other than that, I am very happy my family has continued to be successful with Harlem Link.

Posted September 26, 2013

I' m amazed how the staff greet the children each morning. Harlem links is a fun friendly learning environment, I am pleased. My son is in kindergarten and he has already show improvements , behavioral and learning skills are better. Every morning he looks forward to walking into the door of Harlem Links. Submitted by a parent

Posted August 29, 2013

HL is an awesome school because of the faculty/staff's dedication to the safety and growth of the students. My son is going into his 4th yr here. The teachers I've personally known have been exceptional in their communication, planning, and care with my son. They have exceeded my expectations every year. I had issues with getting my son motivated in class and during homework and Ms Miller&Ms Trank worked with me on insightful solutions and ideas to help get him on track. They have been flexible and proactive and I can't say enough about the patience and care they've shown. All of his teachers have been awesome. The one thing that is less than awesome to our family is the military style behavior standards. Noise/talking is not tolerated in common areas and they are strict. It creates a very orderly atmosphere which I truly appreciate and also creates a look of rigidity that at first bothered us. I now understand the method and I would caution prospective student families not to judge the entire system negatively if you notice the same thing. The students do not run this school, the staff does, and that is a welcomed change in my opinion to the other schools in the neighborhood.

Posted August 21, 2013

HARLEM LINK CHARTER SCHOOL, the school has a warm family feeling. They are fully equipped to handle kids who suffer from separation anxiety like my son did. The inspire their students to go above and beyond. The teachers are easy to get in touch with and are always willing to listen. I love everything about the school.

Posted August 21, 2013

harlem link is a good school for your children to learn , good teahers and a excellent program. My child is at his last year i hope this year will be a great year for the students.I recomennd tis school for anyone to be part of this school.

Posted May 1, 2013

I am very happy with the school. My daughter is doing great since she entered Harlem Link. I've seen a big change in her.

Posted February 1, 2012

My son been going to this school since 1st grade the teachers & staff are good they let you know ahead of time how your child been doing in school, and it also give parents a opportunity to participate in school .

Posted January 30, 2012

My children attend Harlem Link Charter School and I have to say i'm very impressed by their improvement. The teachers are hands on with each child, and i find that to be great so they know who's stronger in which subject . My son have been Student of the month twice and his grades prove the hard work. All the negative things being said about this school is disgusting and I'm disappointed. I'm very hands on with teachers and staff simply because i want to know whats going on in my child's behavior and academics while I'm not around. It doesn't start at school, IT COMES FROM HOME so don't blame the teachers!!!!!

Posted September 6, 2011

Actually, I went to this site to see what is being said about the school. I understand the concerns from parents. I also see the disciplinary problems that staff deal with every day. While there are parents who are involved and active in the school's parent programs, there are twice as many parents who are not - and who don't bother to come to Parent / Teacher conferences to see what's going on with their children. There is no way and no excuse on this earth that would keep me from being involved in my child's school life. It saddens me to see these children day after day and realize how little the parents actually know about the school and their child's academics.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 18, 2011

Id like to comment about the other parent saying most parents leave everything to the school and I wasn't doing my job as a parent. First of all Im heavingly involved in my child ademics. Im @ Harlem link consistently I witnessed inappropriate screaming matches between teachers and other students.Im a hands on parent making sure my child does everything he is supposed to do. If your child folds her hands all day and is a puppet of course u wouldnt have any problems with any teacheRs.my child is intelligent and opinated. Harlem links does not know what to do with children who have ideas. this school only know how to deal with children who sit quietly all day with no issues. those kids get a pass. but when u have a child who is not being challenged because this child is brilliant and the work is too easy these children tend to get in trouble. this school is poor. with teachers who dont have licenses .these teachers are not qualified and competent themselves.when u have students challenging teachers and the teaches have no response other than sending a child to the dean because the teacher feel intimidated by a child . parents look elsewhere. guaranteed happiness for most children.

Posted October 25, 2010

I agree with the other parent about the bad hand writing and criminal treatment. My child is not up to par academically nor treated respectfully here. Students here are treated like criminals.Last year in my child's class, after the teacher clapped out a rhythm to get the students attention, the students would then place their hands on their head. I thought this was very odd! Teachers throw around phrases like, 'I'm disappointed with you' or ' You're not being a good citizen' for minor errors any child would make. Most of the staff needs a time out themselves or anger management. If you have an issue you're always referred to the dean, who is very unhelpful and will recite the family handbook to you, is sure to tell you want the school expects of you and never takes responsibility or mentions how they can accommodate your concerns. Closed Door Policy Here!

Posted October 25, 2010

My son has attended this charter since kindergarten and my dissatisfaction with the school has only grown over the span of his enrollment. He, a gifted student, has been placed on in-school suspension for minor infractions, isolated and left to sit in a room with a non- teaching staff member to do hours of math sheets. Recently, he went without lunch for the day. He spilled his lunch tray and was made to clean it up instead of getting more food. He did not eat between 7:30am and 5:00pm. I am outraged and disgusted with what occurs at HLCS. I ve witnessed teachers shouting at handling students inappropriately. Recently, my son expressed that he wanted to miss class because the teacher shouts. The administration uses reflecting listening to pretend they care, but do nothing. Both Principals are also on the board of trustees Can we say conflict of interest? Look Elsewhere Please!

Posted May 27, 2010

i have found teachers excellent attentive to my child as an individual, showing personal concern form her emotional and intellectual growth principals have been responsive to my concerns

Posted March 19, 2009

I totally disagree with these two parents. My child is in k and she is reading above her grade first grade and almost second grade. Everything that my daughter is doing is above average. The school is family oriented to me. I have no problems. Harlem link informs parents when their child is not doing well maybe you as the parent was not doing anything about the situation, like helping the child at home and reinforcing what was taught in class. The problem with certain parents is that they want to leave all of the responsibility to the teachers and the parents themselves don't want to dedicatate any of their time to helping their own child. If my daughter took the g&t test right now she would score very high.

Posted March 18, 2009

I agree with the first review. My child attended this school and it is not family oriented. I removed my child and he succeeded in another environment. He is exceling now and his self esteem is so high!

Posted January 7, 2009

The school is not family orientated, the children are behind in their lesson once they transfer to other school. I would not recommend this school

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

53 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

53 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

47 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Black 2 66% 19%

Master's degree and above 0%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 180 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.3

8.6

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.1

8.8

7.4

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.6

8.4

6.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.1

• MR. STEVEN EVANGELISTA
Fax number
  • (212) 666-4248

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now