K-8 & Ungraded|Private

Bad
Good

The Gateway School was an excellent experience for me. The academic program really prepared me for when I left. I am happy to say I have a fantastic life and Gateway made it possible.

We have been very disappointed by Gateway since the change in Head of school and the loss of so many teachers in the Middle School over the past two years. The Middle School is an unmitigated disaster with students under challenged and no accountability to teach grade level material. In fact the Middle School curriculum has been in turmoil with a new director and a change to singapore math which has essentially set back every student in the Middle School by 2-3 grade levels. We regret sending our child to this school, in fact we are spending more than ever before on external tutoring. Because of public funding through litigation a school like Gateway can continue to offer sub-par education without reprisal or accountability. There are other LD schools in NYC which have higher expectations. Focusing so much on making students 'feel good about themselves' has attenuated the focus from being a school that teaches to a baby sitting service essentially. What a waste of 3 years. We are removing our child from this school at the end of the current semester.

I have attended this school for 7 years and currently in 7th grade. From the start, the faculty and the students have been friendly to me while helping me academically and athletically. The new building that we have been in since 2008 is very nice though it is only three floors and very small. When I was young, I was supposed to be a kid who was very social anxiety-prone. However, the teachers and students picked me up when I was down and now I have tons of friends. Another positive thing about the school is the small classrooms (When I was in elementary school). From K-4, the biggest class I had was 9 kids, which made it easy to focus. Now I am in the highest math class and on the basketball team and intelligent from this schools standards. However there are some reasons why this is my last year. Since 5th grade, we have been learning below grade material. The school doesn't care for athletics AT ALL, which results in a gym that isn't even a real gym, and only three teams, basketball, soccer, and softball. In the middle school I have only had about 5 good teachers. The school only gives 4 pieces of HW a day.

We are beyond thrilled with Gateway and we have only been there a couple of months. Our daughter has already shown improvement- something we did not expect at all. She loves going to school since they go above and beyond to make learning fun. The faculty and staff are wonderful which makes for a very warm and nurturing environment. The parents are great, and the curriculum is very thought out and impressive. They completely "get" our daughter. I just can't say enough good things about it. We are so glad we made the decision to go with Gateway.

As a brother to two students that attended gateway, I would like to highly commend the school for giving such a wonderful learning environment to my siblings. Everyday for the past 6 years, my siblings would both come home and would not stop talking about all of their amazing classes and fun activities that they did along with all of the friends they made. My family and I thank gateway so much for everything they have done to give my siblings such a wonderful experience. This school is too nicj and really does care about the students. Thank you Gateway!

Last modified Gateway School of New York is a Private school