The School At Columbia University 1

Posted October 01, 2014
These people have no business dealing with teenage boys. Unless you have a very compliant child, do your child and family a favor and stay away from here. Some of the teachers are great, some way too fresh out of college to be working with such a cutting edge curriculum. The new head of school is completely uninvolved in the children's lives. He does not know them by name and is pretty much clueless about them.

The School At Columbia University 2

Posted May 04, 2013
My children use to go to this school. My one child had all great teachers while my other didn't. The kindergarten teacher wasn't warm at all she would be better off in the upper grades. As far as community feel it's not a true unless you live right in the Columbia area. As far as the admin if you were not a Columbia professor they didn't have the time for you. I was very disappointed in the school. The good things were their specials, dance, art, science, spanish and wellness but that's it. Took my kids out they are learning more than they did there.

Posted November 11, 2012
I have a child in Kindergarten and am just amazed at the individual attention given by the highly experienced and nurturing head K teacher. She spent 26 years as a Kindergarten teacher at Hunter Elementary, and the last 10 at The School at Columbia. She called the curriculum not only "integrative" but also "differentiated" and I could not agree more. At a recent parent-teacher meeting, I was shown a thick file of my child's classroom activities, and each child's file differs considerably. At the same time, the communal spirit within the classroom is strong; the day is punctuated by songs as well as group activities in art, math, and literacy. At the moment, I could not be happier. As one reviewer said, no school is perfect, but I am thrilled that the parents seem so motivated and involved, and if there are problems ahead, I believe our voices will be heard.

The School At Columbia University 4

Posted September 25, 2012
This school is a wonderful school very well organized!!! The parents are great you have a great sense of community all hands are on board they teach children to be themselves not only that but more so to think for their own to express themselves. My daughter loves the school wonderful oppurtunity.

The School At Columbia University 4

Posted August 15, 2012
The underlying tenets of the school encourage both self respect and respect for others. This school is more diverse than most and this is both a wonderful and challenging feature. The parent body and administration are constantly striving for ways to continue growing and building the community. That kind of commitment isn't as readily available in many school environments. My child has grown in confidence and ability each year he has been there.

Posted April 30, 2012
This school teaches children to think, be practical and analyze situations. Leaders and inventors should think outside the box more often. Approaching a problem with various solutions and knowing the why's behind what you learn is important. The small class size gives each child the chance to thrive with 1 staff member for every 5 students.

The School At Columbia University 2

Posted April 18, 2012
I took my kids out of The School for the 11-12 school year and put them in public school. Couldn't be happier with the decision - it has improved all of our lives. We had some AMAZING individual teachers at The School but the administration was unable to address anything effectively. Bottom line - be very careful if looking at this school: what looks like it is too good to be true, usually is. Certainly don't pay for it! Your local PS is likely better.
2 people found this helpful

The School At Columbia University 3

Posted March 30, 2012
Academically this school has a progressive and innovative vision. Socially and emotionally, however, it has real problems, so that the school doesn't cohere into a community. The teachers are, with some exceptions, very young and inexperienced, and they create a negative atmosphere in the classroom, often yelling at the kids. The management does not listen well nor does it communicate with parents. Despite the rich facilities, the good computers, the nice breakfast, I'm thinking of taking my child out.

The School At Columbia University 1

Posted September 22, 2011
we were not allowed to take part in lottery, although we are in district 3. this is not fair to my children. why have they no right even to apply?

Posted February 07, 2011
I'm a community parent (which means my child got in by lottery). My son has been at the school since K and he loves it. It is a progressive school with an extremely diverse student body which is the right place for my son. It is also well equipped technologically although there is little space for the children at recess. The after school program is also very good with interesting options for the children such as fencing for the older grades. As with all new (and old?) schools, there have been some problems in administration, but they seem to iron themselves out as all matters are addressed quickly. This school does not cater for school lunches and students must bring in a packed lunch every day.
2 people found this helpful

The School At Columbia University
556 West 110th Street, New York, NY  10025
Last modified The School At Columbia University is a Private school that serves grades K-8
The School At Columbia University Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top