/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted October 29, 2014
Wonderful school with a very warm and approachable staff and PTA. Great programs which include, art, science, chess and library etc. Any issues Iwe have had have been quickly and appropriately addressed after contacting teacher and/or counselor. My children feel safe and welcomed at this school... That security allows them to concentrate on learning and developing. My only wish is that all classrooms had two teacher-somed do but not all. I do think the teachers manage them well enough but I think the CTT approach is very successful. Although, I imagine having two teachers might take away a specialty class which I'm not sure I would be happy about. Overall I really like the school and feel happy with our choice.

Yorkville Community School 3

Posted April 30, 2014
YCS is new in this neighborhood and can be hit or miss. My son is in 1st grade. Kindergarten was good, he had warm and engaging teachers who really got to know him. This year however his teacher seems overwhelmed by a large class and has not been able to recognize my son's strengths. She takes a very long time to get things done and routinely blows off requests for improvement. The principal, while strong in many ways, is strongly against having assistant teachers which has a terrible effect on the classes. Having a second or third caring and helpful body in the classroom would make so much difference, yet the PTA is unable to make her budge on this. It is also very hard to communicate with the teachers as the parents are not allowed to email them. In this day of technology, it is somewhat crippling to restrict email communication. It would also be a nice use of technology to have the teachers prepare periodic emails showing the parents what is going on in their child's classroom, as occurs in other public schools in this area. The teacher this year is vague when updating parents and clearly barely has much time or attention for my son. I wonder what will happen next year.

Posted March 13, 2014
YCS is truly an excellent school which fosters a warm environment. The school focuses on the individual needs and encourages each child to reach their full potential. With the school's support, my second grader is on an advanced third grade reading and math level and continually thrives in all other areas of the school's enhanced curriculum and enrichment programs.

Posted February 20, 2014
We moved to NYC in the summer of 2012 and were very nervous about schooling for our little ones (at the time entering Kindergarten and 1st grade). We toured almost all of the upper east side public schools and felt so wonderful after seeing YCS!! It was very warm and welcoming from day one by both the teachers/staff and the families. Our 1st year at YCS couldn't have been better. My children both had absolutely amazing teachers - warm, friendly, outgoing, creative, and we truly can not say enough good things about them. YCS teachers and staff are all great and combined with the active PTA make Yorkville Community School the extra special school that it is! If you're looking for a school that is warm and welcoming that fosters children's creativity and love of learning then this is the school for you! We hope you will love it as much as we do!! YCS Mom of a current 1st and 2nd grader (2013-14)

Posted February 05, 2014
YCS is a wonderful school. We moved form Long Island from a very highly regarded school district to YCS last year. We could not be happier. The academics, the enrichment programs, and the overall atmosphere of the school is great. The teachers are attentive and the Parent Body could not be better. Kids come first at YCS. Both the principal and the assistant principal are always there to assist. Both of my children are happy to be going to school everyday. I think that says it all.

Yorkville Community School 4

Posted January 09, 2014
My daughter is receving an excellent edication at Yorkville Community School. I am an educator and have taught in the US, Europe and Latin America. I can see how involved my daughter is in the arts and sciences. My daughter, like me, does not have high mathematical intelligence but she excels at music, drama, PE and robotics. My daughter used to attend a Catholic School and she did not get all the classes offered at YCS. When I hear parents complain especially in NYC,, I ask them, how involved are you with the school, how often do you volunteer your time . It is easy to sit back and complain yet it is hard work for the doers to make things work. It really takes a village...

Yorkville Community School 4

Posted September 24, 2013
YCS has been a terrific school for my child. The teachers are all enthusiastic and child centric. They seem to truly care about the children and their educational needs. My only concern is with a few of the enrichment classes, which seem to focused on the arts and not on academics. While dance, music, art and drama are wonderful--I would like to see language or math enrichment. In addition, while the leadership is excellent in many ways, they do not seem open to constructive criticism.

Posted May 12, 2013
Great parent body, excellent administration and warm environment. The new building is great and the children are well-supported both academically and emotionally. Our daughter was born too late in the year for most private schools, and didn't get a G&T spot despite a 99th percentile GT and Hunter-qualifying score. We were a bit worried initially, but couldn't be happier.

Yorkville Community School 1

Posted September 15, 2011
My daughter attends YCS and she dislikes this school. She's being picked on and the teacher doesn't seem to care. There's probably a few people "watching" the children during lunch but there's lack of supervision. The curriculum could be better. Although we hear how great YCS is, unfortunately this school is not for us.

Posted September 07, 2011
We are pleased that our son attends this school. All of the students seem to learn well here, no doubt because of the extraordinarily talented and caring teachers and staff. Perfection cannot be expected but improvement over time should be. There seems to have been a learning process for the Administration regarding rough behavior by the inevitable but rare problem students during recess. After a rocky start they seem to have learned to primarily monitor rough students, as the potential victims need less supervision. All problems appear to be resolved now, indicating an Administration that does not rest on its deserved laurels. We look forward to our second year at YCS.

Yorkville Community School
421 East 88th Street, New York, NY  10128
Last modified Yorkville Community School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Yorkville Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top