Bad
Good

Hey, it's Michelle from 11th grade. SMSHS has been amazing ever since freshman year. During freshman year, there were only fifty students in the school. We saw each other as one big family. Our family has grown ever since the 9th graders and the 10th graders came into the school. It's just AMAZING to see all of the students get along with each other; We all understand and respect each other. The teachers in our school are great; they're there whenever the students need help or just need someone to talk to. My favorite part about this school is the performances; watching my peers perform are one of the greatest things to ever watch; they truly inspire me with their talent, dedication, and passion for music. Shout out to Jenny, Seth, and everyone else in the music department for making are experience and passion in music expand. I feel very lucky and proud to be a student in this school. Out of all of the music schools I auditioned for, right away, I already knew that SMSHS was the right school to choose.

I am a student at SMS High School. While sometimes I am frustrated with the metal detectors that we have to go through every morning, I get used to it. The teachers are really what makes this school great. At the middle and elementary schools, the main principal is Ms. Smith, but at the high school, we have Ms. Palmieri, and she is literally the best. She'll fight for you when you need her to, and she's always gonna be fair for your situation. Aside from her, we also have Mr. Raph, who's an awesome chemistry teacher, Mr. Friedman who makes Global more fun than I would be otherwise. Ms. Simonen does a good job of making Algebra less boring than it might be with some other teacher. I'm giving it four stars just because of the metal detectors, and the fact that we have to drop off our phones is frustrating too. Overall, SMSHS is a great school.

My son has recently moved to NYC from Stockholm, Sweden. In Stockholm he attended a wonderful academy of music called Lilla Akademien. My son was born in Sweden and could not imagine his life without his friends and the music they shared. To his great surprise and to his very happy sense of well being. He joined the Special Music School and found that from the first day, he made friends, He has teachers who are dedicated to his learning and the music director J. Undercoffler made sure that my son would not lose all the years of study he has put into his cello. On the first day of school his classmates came up to me and introduced themselves. My son came out of the elevator with the biggest smile on his face and I knew... not only was this a wonderful music school , with inspiring teachers and staff but a place where his sense of well being and his love of music could be shared and grown. The mathematics, ESL and Science are taught by incredible teachers. We could not have imagined a better place for our son.

This is an excellent, specialized school with warm and caring teachers and a freat parent body. We've been very pleased even though the music requires a lot of parent involvement. The musical education is very rigorous, which can be stressful at times, but if your child loves music, they will thrive. The class size is small (15 kids per grade!) and the music teachers are outstanding. Academically, the school seems to do very well. The kids test well and are very creative in many other aspects besides music.

If your kid can get in, and enjoys music then it is like hitting the public school jackpot. Small classes, great teachers, FREE MUSIC LESSONS... No school is perfect but I have loved almost every second of being a parent at this school and my kid has thrived here...and so have most if not all of the others in the class. It is packed with talented teachers (think I said that already but it bears saying again.) I am going to be sad when my kid graduates. What you are really getting here is a private school education for your public school child, if your child is lucky enough to get in. I wish all who apply the best of luck because you and your child will LOVE it

The school is great in every way. They put strong emphasis on friendship and praising, and discourage competition. Still, those who are behind in their music skills, will feel it. Academically, it is ranked second only to Anderson.

I have had a child at SMS for elementary and middle school. We have been overall happy with our child's education and the new principal appears to be addressing many of the concerns regarding differentiated pedagogy and supporting students' social/emotional as well as academic development. The teachers on the most part are dedicated and caring and with continued professional development with help strengthen the program overall. Hopefully the academic staff will remain open to new approaches and ideas. The music program is very rich and, with the support of a good and caring instrument teacher, the children flourish and become confident performers. This is not to say that some children have negative experiences and the school is by no means for everyone. Finding the right fit between teacher and student is important. There is strong communication between administration (both academic and music) and parents. There is a recent attempt at transparency that is refreshing. The students and parent body are fantastic.

This school lacks a consistent academic program. For many years, teachers lacked guidance which resulted in a school where teachers taught to only one type of student assuming that because the children were "musically" gifted that they were also "academically" gifted. The children that didn't fit this profile were given little academic help eventhough class size is so small compared to a regular NYC classroom. With a new adminstrator, things may change. Musically, a child's experience will depend on their music teacher. Some teachers forget that they're still children and place incredibly stressful demands on the kids and their families. There is so much pressure to be the best that some children struggle with confidence when it's time to perform. There is a tendency to pigeon-hole students and focus on a few kids. This school has a supportive parent body and great kids. It should have a great academic program as well.

My child attended this school during the elementary years, then decided to attend another middle school. While the academic side of SMS is very strong with wonderful teachers, the music portion of the school borders on dysfunctional. By the upper elementary years, the students who are considered the most talented (a very small percentage) are the only ones who receive accolades and encouragement. This encouragement comes in the form of opportunities for these few kids to perform more often, take master classes, and be a part of the school's "public face." On the contrary, I have seen 8-10 year olds who aren't at the top exhibit extreme anxiety before performing due to their feelings of inadequacy. Sadly, this didn't seem to alarm any music staff or administration. It seems that the musical side of the school is all about keeping up appearances, and the biggest concern is the reputation of the school and its music faculty and administration. The school could - and should - be so much better. But until SMS's top priority is the child (and not the school's reputation, or what Julliard thinks of it), I can't imagine it will change.

Last modified Special Music School is a Public school that serves grades K-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.