/ School Profile

Posted October 27, 2014
Frank McCourt High School is exceptional as well as exceptionally new. They just graduated their first class in the spring of this year and all indicators suggest that the school will only continue to grow in its effectiveness and academic prowess. But my primary reason for writing this review is to refute the ridiculous claim by a prior reviewer that the school has "drugs all over". That is absolutely FALSE, and though my first impression is that the 'reviewer' is a 'troll' trying to spread malicious lies for his/her entertainment, there is also the possibility that this reviewer's child has a drug issue and wishes to point fingers somewhere. Either way, the assertion that this school has "drugs all over" is totally and completely FALSE! I am a FMHS parent, and I know many highly involved parents here, and not once has any of them ever mentioned a drug problem related to this school. Likewise, simply reading the reviews on this site would seem to indicate that the 'drugs-all-over' reviewer is completely alone in their appraisal. That suggests that the issue lies with the reviewer, no this school.

Frank Mccourt High School 1

Posted October 18, 2014
I have serious concerns that have repeatedly gone unaddressed... There are drugs all over the school and I'm taking my child out next year. It's a terrible environment for a student and the principal seems to be more concerned with keeping up appearances than actually talking to parents (I'm not the only one!) who are worried about their kids safety.

Posted July 15, 2014
MY son was in the first graduating class of FMHS, and 97% of that class is going to college. Many are attending two year schools, a few are heading to top private schools like Penn and Hampshire. Nice thing about this place is that they do screen students. It's not 'open' admission, so they get a really nice bunch of kids who also span a range of academic abilities and ethnic groups. That is very rare in a New York City HS and nice to see. I only see FMHS as getting even better as the years go by. And yes, they do hand out a fair amount of homework. But for the kid who does it and is ambitious about his/her education -- maybe also taking college the classes offered -- it will definitely pay off. I don't think FMHS will stay undiscovered for too much longer. Its too good and too nice a place for that to happen.

Posted April 09, 2014
Frank Mc Court high school is a specialized writing school that provides the student with the skills needed in order to be able to write in a college level. This school makes sure that the student gets all the credits needed for graduation by sophomore year so that junior and senior year students can join clubs and internships + a more flexible schedule. We have clubs on almost anything and sports are also available. What I like about this school is that we make college visits on the very first year of high school and we start preparing for SATs and do career days to start getting an idea of what we want to do in the future. We get graded on skills and content so not only are we being graded on how well we answer it correctly but how we think critically and how well we use our problem solving methods. This school is not 100% No school is. This school could improve more by offering more science field classes for the students who are interested. It could also be nice if the school could be funded more so we have more materials for class and better tables. everything else is ok

Posted April 07, 2014
My son goes to Frank McCourt. He is part of the first graduating class. The principal has worked hard to make this school a success and most of his teachers have been wonderful.

Posted April 06, 2014
This is a great upcoming High school, in its 4th year . My daughter is in 10 grad, and is doing great academically. The teachers are really enthusiastic, and clearly far from burnt out. They are eager to get back to you, if you have any questions or concerns. It's small and intimate which is what my daughter was looking for. I do wish there were more parental involvement, in terms of supporting the PTA.

Posted April 06, 2014
Frank McCourt is an amazing new school that's graduating its first class this June (2014). It has committed, passionate teachers and a fabulous, integrated curriculum. My daughter loves going to school, has fantastic relationships with her teachers and has found great friends. FMHS is an undiscovered gem.

Posted April 05, 2014
FMHS is a small, academically focused and well-rounded school. It is a new school, where teachers, parents and students work hard to build team-spirit, support and success for all kids. We are so happy there, it's the best school on the UWS.

Posted April 05, 2014
As a parent, 3yrs ago FMHS was not a school I listed on my child's HS application. At that time, I so FMHS as a dangerous school for many reasons. The scanners were distasteul, a failing school still occupying the Brandies bldg and FMHS just being open for 1 year were all things that kept me from listing FMHS. HOWEVER, 3yrs later my child is a VERY HAPPY, MOTIVATED, ENGAGED AND CONFIDENT young lady because of FMHS. Our 3 yrs experience with FMHS has been an AMAZING journey so far. FMHS STAFF AND PTA GROUP are filled with CARING, DEDICTED AND COMMITTED people. The school is not just a bldg filled with children and staff, it is a FAMILY. I can say that once your child passes thru the scanners they are welcomed into classrooms of teachers who embrace them with knowledge not only textbook material but I see how the teachers and children interact about non educational material. THANKS to FMHS for making our first 3 years of HS a memorable journey.

Posted April 05, 2014
My son's school is a place where learning is embrace in a spirit of cooperation. The students to engage themselves in the learning process with out fear of punishment. A very college like learning style yet very rigorous academics. The students are encourage to think and also to be kind. It is almost unreal that they have been able to have a happy balance of high expectations with out the threat of the ruler.

Frank Mccourt High School
145 West 84th Street, New York, NY  10024
(212) 362-2015
Last modified Frank Mccourt High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Frank Mccourt High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top