Posted April 24, 2014
The School is growing and making progress every year. As the school becomes more stable they should look into increasing their Arts and Music program

Posted April 21, 2014
NYFACS is a great school if you are looking for the best publicly funded French language immersion elementary school in town and an amazing, multicultural experience for your child. Note that French immersion is more than learning the language: it is also exposing your child to the superior French approach to social studies: history, geography, culture. My daughter loves all of her teachers and at eight is already an accomplished and fully bilingual scholar, in large part thanks to the excellent educational opportunities offered by this school, including in math, English and sciences. Remaining challenges are the need for private funding and more space. But we now have in place, in addition to the effective faculty we always have had: good administrators, a judicious board, and a constructive and positive parent/teacher association. Noah Simmons

Posted April 08, 2014
NYFACS is an amazing project: a french-language immersion school that still manages to teach the American curriculum. It is amazing to see how something as simple as Math can be taught so differently between the French and American Curriculum. The benefit of this diverse teaching is that it really helps to flex students' brain: this is a mind-opening experience: there is not just one way to learn the same thing! This to me is a very valuable skill that you need to learn in this ever-evolving world with so many different cultures and ways of thinking.

Posted March 06, 2014
I'm a parent of NYFACS since Sept. 2010. I have 2 kids,2nd&5th grade, met 3 differents principals before Ms Boncompain and can't remember how many teachers Since Ms Boncompain came to NYFACS, in june 2012, the school had many issues like bullism, a weak curriculum & instability within the staff. She started working right away on those issues. when Students came back to school after the summer break, in Sept.2012, we all found stability, solidarity , security at school and a serious and humble hard working woman very dedicated to the kids, families & teachers of NYFACS. It felt like the school had been there for a while: a positive attitude, a great structure was installed for the teachers&students; a much stronger curriculum was included ; and respect took everyone. The NYFACS community took place! I never had any issues ever since she started: my kids are doing very well & are very happy at NYFACS. I completely trust Ms Boncompain & the great team behind her: she knows how to bring the teachers together, how to listen carefully to parents, to care for their needs. Her door is always open, Ms Boncompain is a wonderful mediator. We are very grateful to have her as our Principal!

Posted February 14, 2014
I guarantee that I am a parent who has been at the school for four years now. My daughter has had a great four-year experience and has always had great teachers, and is now fluent in French and well versed in Math and English, and knows a lot more about West African countries than I do. I am signing up my baby boy as soon as he is of age. Note that NYFACS is actually 6months or more ahead of other schools in math, if I am to believe a parent of an Upper West side school I compared notes with. We now have a growing group of POSITIVE parents on the PTO and at the school, instead of the negative, pessimistic ones who still find nothing better to do but attempt to undermine our school from afar, who knows why. Is everything perfect? Of course not, nor is the world we live in. But great progress continues to be made, at NYFACS at least. Yes, we need a bigger building and airier building, more money, and more staff. With more good will and some good luck, we will get those too.

New York French-American Charter School 1

Posted February 11, 2014
My son went to the school for 2 years and I was really disappointed. I don't know how and why other parents are writing great things about NYFACS, but I guess we all want different things for our children. First, I should mention that the bilingual program is wonderful and it was the reason I enrolled my son in a first place. However, believe me, the school is not ideal if French isn't spoken at home. The program is excellent for children with French speaking parent/s. Nevertheless, children learn quickly, so my son was able to catch up eventually. I am disappointed by the school for many reasons: 1. No Music and Art classes, which I find important for our children's creativity. 2. The the building is really dirty and most children have no manners or public hygiene. 3. Some of the teachers are really rude and target particular students. 4. The staff changes constantly, which I find very troubling. Consider my review if you plan to enroll your child there because I was one of those parents that read all of these reviews here and believe every word other people wrote. Now, I think the administration is writing their own reviews to boost the school's reputation.

Posted October 28, 2013
Amazing advancements, considering the extraordinary challenges - no school can do it perfectly, but when you stack excellent teaching, positive principal / team / employees, and a will to advance; results are knocking - (a dad from private to charter school)

Posted October 28, 2013
THIS SCHOOL HAS A SOUND FOUNDATION, GREAT TEACHERS AND GOOD ADMINISTRATION. WHAT IT HAS LACKED IS A SENSE OF COMMUNITY AND COMMON PURPOSE, BUT THIS IS RAPIDLY EVOLVING. THE MORE THE PARENTS CAN SEPARATE THE TRIVIAL FROM THE MATTERS THAT ARE IMPORTANT, THE MORE THE SCHOOL CAN FOCUS ON THE CHILDREN'S EDUCATION AND ON ACHIEVING THE SCHOOL'S GOALS. WE'VE HAD A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE AT THIS SCHOOL AND ARE DOING OUR BEST TO HELP IT MOVE FORWARD FROM AN UNNECESSARILY ROCKY PAST.

Posted October 26, 2013
When students spontaneously discuss the way they learn best, you know that something special and great is happening at school! I am sure that something special and great is happening at NYFACS!

Posted October 22, 2013
The New York French American Charter School is unique in United States. Our children are lucky to get the best of the two cultures and education. But it is not only the French and American culture, our kids are immersed in a multi-cultural environment, over 80 different countries are represented. This diversity is emphasized in order to help them being the leaders of tomorrow.

New York French-American Charter School
311 W 120th St, New York, NY  10027
Last modified New York French-American Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
New York French-American Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top