K-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The Lang School is a work in progress -- by design. Being the first school of its kind means we cull best practices from the fields of gifted education, special education, and child psychology in a flexible, data-driven, and wholly unprecedented way every day. We adapt these practices for each child who walks through our doors. We offer intensive, ongoing professional development for all staff and are always pushing our individual and collective practices to the next level. Our students needs haven't been served in traditional settings, so we cannot be traditional in our approach-- not in the degree to which we partner with staff, parents and outside providers; not in the degree to which we provide transparency for everyone in our learning community; and not in the degree to which we personally commit ourselves to the success of each child. Lang's leadership founded the school after successful careers in fields that value ethics, creativity and innovation, three of the school's core values. Our team of educators is highly trained, collaborative and exquisitely attuned to the needs of this special population of promising students.
May 19, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (9 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (12 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (3 responses)

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 12, 2016
The school policy is if the child’s para professional is not in school (sick or vacation days) then the child is not allowed to attend school.

The Lang School 3

Posted June 12, 2016
Over use of paraprofessionals. There appears to be almost as many paraprofessionals in the classroom as there are students. As a parent, it seems odd that with such a low student teacher ratio less than 10 kids and 2 teachers why so many paras. I heard from other parents that children who didn’t require a para previously, suddenly need one at Lang. I hope my child won’t need a para down the road, but there is always a concern and here is why. The paras that are contracted at Lang are for the entire class day. Whatever happened to the Idea act and least restrictive environment? Also, in addition to the tuition, the cost of the para is $3500 a month. Furthermore, the school policy is if the child’s para professional is not school (sick or vacation days) then the child is not allowed to attend school. My main concern is that many of the kids are leaving from my child’s class because of issues like this. Hope it’s smooth sailing for future years here.

Posted May 09, 2016
As a teacher at The Lang School, I have enjoyed tremendous support, which has allowed me to develop as an individual and as a teacher. Staff are engaged and inspired, willing to share ideas and practices, and always ready to lend a hand. The Lang School is a special environment where relationships between students and staff are sophisticated and nurturing, where students can bring a complex self-image into coherent focus within a supportive community. I have enjoyed helping students learn to trust themselves, to learn to aspire and work towards their goals, and thrilled to see them gain the enduring support of their peers.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted May 09, 2016
I am grateful for the sincere effort the staff puts in to support the well-being of everyone at the school!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted April 20, 2016
The teacher provided excellent written explanations for the homework during my child's many (most unnecessary) suspensions.

Posted April 15, 2016
This is our second year at The Lang School and it has been transformative for our 12 year old. Our son was previously enrolled at St. Ann's School in Brooklyn where he started struggling socially and emotionally in the 4th Grade. The teachers and administration at St. Ann's were unbelievably supportive, helpful and endlessly patient but my wife and I knew we had to find a better fit and The Lang School provided just such an environment. The small class size, high teacher to student ratio and intellectually challenging but loving atmosphere have allowed our son to find himself. While he still has his struggles, the teachers and psychologists have helped him recover quickly and they have always been reassuringly attentive to his emotional needs. Most importantly perhaps, his self-esteem, which at times seemed irreparably damaged in the past, has started to rebuild in a very foundational way and I attribute much of this to The Lang School. It is without a doubt a quirky place just like the children it serves and requires an open mind and some faith (it is relatively new) but I have found it to be an oasis for our family.

Posted April 13, 2016
It's been a year since we enrolled our little girl at The Lang School and we are grateful every day to have found such an extraordinary home for her to learn and grow. It is such a dichotomy to have a child with exceptional talent, yet very real challenges. Finding somewhere that embraces her strengths, highlights them, brings them out ...while at the same time gives her the tools to understand better, cope with and face her challenges ... this is priceless to us. Our result, in this incredible year has been a child with bright eyes, hungry for learning, confident, assured, strong and accepting and embracing of all the differences that we as humans have. Best of all ... she is happy!! The curriculum is amazing and we are so excited that she is exposed to not only rich subject matter, but a unique and forward thinking perspective on learning. She is supported by the most amazing team of teachers (who she adores), and her visits with her psychologist on staff at the school are considered fondly by her to be "the very special moments". As people who have experienced first-hand what it is like to go through an educational system that did not have a place for bright minds coupled with significant challenges ... we couldn't feel anymore fortunate to have found The Lang School...

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted April 12, 2016
I would like to thank my son's teachers this year who have taught him so much and shown him how he is able to do so much more than we thought possible. One such example was having to know the 50 US states and capitals along with the states abbreviations. I never believed my son would be able to take on this task and after weeks of preparation in school and studying at home he was able to achieve this, earned a 98% and felt so good about himself and his accomplishment. Thank you for that opportunity and for everything you do!

Posted April 12, 2016
After months of applying and checking out special educational schools I heard about The Lang School approximately one month before the school year began. I met with Micaela and the team there, had my son come in for an interview and a session with a current student and teacher there. The Lang School extended us an acceptance and gave him a chance where no other special ed school that we applied to would. It has been almost 2 full years that my son has attended The Lang School. He looks forward to and enjoys going to school everyday where in the past he never did. He has grown both academically and emotionally to such levels I never knew would be possible in 2 years. He has developed amazing relationships with the staff, teachers and therapists who have worked with him over the years. They have provided him with the level of support he needed to become successful. We have had only great experiences at the school and I am pleased to say that they have prepared him to be able to attend a mainstream school next year. We will never forget our years at Lang and we are thankful for the opportunity to be a part of their family.

Posted April 12, 2016
I have been a part of the Lang School teaching community for over 3 years. It is a rich and wonderful environment, both for staff and students. I have worked in other school settings, none of which afforded similar opportunities for learning, creativity, collaboration and growth. I feel supported at the school both by the administrative team and my talented and hard working colleagues. The kids are an inspiration- bright, inquisitive and great fun to be around.

11 Broadway, New York, NY  10004