/ School Profile
New York, NY
Before care: Yes

Posted November 24, 2014
The teachers and support staff are amazing and very competent. The Office Staff and Administrative Staff- not so much. They are incompetent, inadequate, unprofessional and sometimes quite mean. They have no business attempting to run a school and clearly do not have the experience to do so. If this school wishes to succeed, they should consider bringing in professionals to run the school.

Posted October 27, 2014
The school must have written these reviews great reviews themselves or hire someone to do it for them. My child does not attend this school; however, I called inquring about the schoo after reading such wonderful commentsl. From the receptionist (before hanging up on me, I was told to check out the website for the address) including admission director (I tried to inquire who was th receptionist and she blatantly changed the topic; rude, unprofessional, and argumentative). Based on these behaviors, I can't imagine the rest of the staff being anything but unprofessional and rude.

Posted October 03, 2014
The lang school is a special education school for children who do not need an individualized program. If your child has a complex set of verbal and non-verbal difficulties, and / or social skills problems I would not recommend the lang school. There is very little psychological support for kids with co-morbid emotional issues.

The Lang School 3

Posted June 14, 2014
The Lang School is apart from other schools serving kids with learning differences. It has more the feel of an "alternative" school than a "special needs" school, and that seemed to fit our child's diagnosis, which has a mild presentation. Others see the school's youth as a detriment, I think it lends the school an exuberance & freedom. The faculty is bright and energetic, the space itself is airy and fresh. Yet, a number of the students don't fit the Lang profile, to the detriment of the student body. These kids exhibit severe behavioral problems that seem very disruptive & draw down the school's resources. The school aims to allow each child to advance at his/her pace, with plenty of accommodations in areas of weakness. Even the youngest kids are programming; gardening, welding, and identifying false advertising - a vigorous curriculum that honors the kids' abilities. In practice, some of the kids' weaknesses dominate the scene. Improvement would mean a more careful screening of applicants and monitoring students' progress. Also, a brief weekly email would serve well - poor communication from teachers. I hope Lang grows into its mission, for it fulfills a dire need in our city.

The Lang School 3

Posted May 27, 2014
I had written a post here about Lang a few weeks ago and it has gone missing. So i will re-post my thoughts until someone at GreatSchools can 'find' my original post. Lang is a great idea to teach and nurture cognitively intact children who struggle with emotional hurdles. The children they take in have had unpleasant and tragic school histories. I admire the administration for taking on a much needed task - to fill a niche so many children and families need. This school is still in its infancy - there is a lot to be sorted out through this time. My suggestion - to retain professionals to help the administration solidify concept and execution of standard policies, treatments and general school decorum. The school is not nearly 'solid' enough to consistently and thoughtfully serve many of the families it is admitting. While many children will be OK - many will not. Which is a shame. Some more work invested on the higher levels of school administration would make this mediocre school into the envy (or model of) of the Special Ed and 2e world.

The Lang School 2

Posted May 09, 2014
The Lang School holds so much promise. Its mission of educating and supporting gifted kids with learning or emotional disabilities, or both, is a lofty but vital one; this kind of school is desperately needed. Unfortunately, administration is still figuring out what the school should be, and for whom; its students have so many different needs. A kid with ADHD & dyslexia needs something far different from a kid with a communication disorder & anxiety. Factor in kids different learning styles and you have a recipe for confusion and inconsistency. All new schools have growing pains: hiring & retaining the right staff, developing & implementing the right curriculum, giving parents the right amount of input, communicating effectively & often enough about the right things, and so much more. Ensuring the best support for each kid, determining each kid s learning style, and providing for the very different needs of the children make it an especially tough gig. The Lang School is a work in progress. No school is a perfect fit for all its students. Lang works for some kids, and it doesn t work for others. When it works, it s a lifesaver; when it doesn t, it really doesn t.

Posted April 30, 2014
Lang School is very responsive to the individual child (and families needs). I have been amazed at how quickly teachers and staff respond to my emails. In addition if I have a suggestion I am told outright that it is possible or not and if possible it is usually implemented immediately. At my sons previous schools the teachers sometimes were unwilling to try anything my son's psychologist recommended and if I complained to the head of school she would continually tell me she would look into it but nothing would happen. For the right child and family Lang can be an amazing fit but like any school it has to be a good fit.

Posted April 30, 2014
What do you say about a place that saved our child's love of learning and helped rebuild his self esteem? The teachers are wonderful, well-educated and versatile and willing!!! They care and it shows in everything they do. Our son, is academically gifted (at 6 he can tell you how the digestive system works, map out a route to Japan and compare Dali and daVinci) yet lacks the the discipline and impulse control that he needs to succeed in a doe g&t class. This school fills a need that is becoming more and more prevalent in our city and in our society. I am super grateful we found it and extremely willing to sing their praises! I have found the administration to also be willing to discuss, aid, listen, problem solve and open to helping the each child. After searching for a school that fits our son, and entertaining the possibility that there might not be one, we were thrilled that we came across Lang...it truly is a gift!!! We are extremely happy with the school and are looking forward to the years to come.

Posted April 30, 2014
The Lang School has been a game changer for our son and our family. After spending 4 stressful years in a CTT class at our local public school, where they essentially gave up on our son, we decided to take a chance on this new school for 2E kids. At Lang we have found an amazing community for our uniquely gifted yet incredibly challenged son (ADHD, ASD.) The teachers, staff and administration are GREAT - they are so talented, well trained and dedicated to their students - and they have all worked in a real partnership with my husband and I to help our son overcome his anxiety and multiple learning challenges. Previously my son tantrumed every morning in anticipation of school. Now he can't wait to get there and he is really engaged both in learning and in the social aspect of school. Lang has become like family to us and while it may not be the right fit for every kid, it has been a life saver for mine.

Posted April 30, 2014
Our son has a nonverbal learning disability and some other issues, but is extremely smart. We were concerned that schools that could provide adequate support would not be set up to provide a rigorous curriculum -- and I think that is usually the case. The Lang School has been a blessing, providing the special ed and OT support our son needs along with an advanced curriculum. His teachers are outstanding!

The Lang School