/ School Profile

Frederick Douglass Academy 3

Posted April 17, 2014
Had to pull my daughter out of the middle school per fights, etc. I hear the high school is better...

Posted April 17, 2014
My daughters 1st year, started off ruff but the teachers Have reached out and are helping her come back

Posted August 03, 2013
The Frederick Douglass Academy, help turn my sons life around to the point where he's now a Senior at the United States Naval Academy No parents that your will succeed at Douglass if you stand with your child and the school.

Frederick Douglass Academy 5

Posted July 28, 2012
I have heard great things about this school. My sons will be attending soon and I am looking forward to a successful school year.

Posted November 15, 2010
FDA has been an interesting experience for my daughter during her middle school years. She has been academically challenged, scoring an 83 on the Living Environments Regents exam in Grade 7. She has also been socially challenged in that she has spent a lot of her time just trying to to "fit in", but that's what all MS kids do. The curriculum is strong; the instructors are strong; and the principal is strong. The elephant in the room here is that most of the student's parents don't participate at the level required to make a "good" school "great". Let's face it. ....Kids come to school with the manners they are taught at home. Stronger home-stronger kids-stronger students-stronger school. Once we overcome this obstacle, the sky's the limit!!!

Posted June 21, 2010
I have been a faculty member at FDA for sometime now and I have unique perspective about the school. Like many reviewers, my views of the school have changed since I began working there. However, I have also realized FDA has many unique opportunities that few schools can offer. Many parents and students in the below reviews complain about the uniform policy. I find their complaints hard to sympathize with. Every students is told the policy before coming to the school. If you do not like the policy, there plenty of other schools in NYC. FDA has a uniform policy for a reason and enforcing the policy ensures that our school runs efficiently. In my experience, I have found that enforcing the uniform as a teacher has eliminated nearly every behavioral issue because students realize that if you care about the little things, then big problems vanish.

Frederick Douglass Academy 2

Posted March 30, 2010
I was overjoyed when I found out that my Daughter was accepted to FDA because I had heard great things. That is until she actually attended and on three seperate occasions, my 13yr old child was sent home from the front door because of MINOR uniform issues. Never once did I get a phone call! Unacceptable! when did the uniform become more important than the actual education?

Frederick Douglass Academy 3

Posted March 13, 2010
Im also a freshmen and I agree with some of the comments that were said. Some teachers are disrespectful and some arent. There are some excellent teachers at FDA. The administration is definitly the worst part of FDA. Lunch is not as bed as it may seem. Some classes are organized and there arent alot of 'loose' students. Come on a weekday and get a tour of the school and you will see that not every single thing is bad.

Frederick Douglass Academy 1

Posted March 01, 2010
I am a freshman here. I was so excited when i got accepted having a b+ average. I now have an f average. This school was my worse mistake. The kids are too rowdy, there are fights almost everyday, the teachers don't teach they expect perfection without teaching you. The kids make fun of you if you don't speak slang. The principal has an attitude and a half including most of the staff. Fda cares more about appearance then anything. You have to hunt to find out about the extra circulars. They focus mostly on sports, but less on the arts. The lunch tables are broken and the classes are not organized. I do not recommend this school to anyone. There is a lot of 'loose' girls and guys. The teachers have favorites and tell you to come to after school tutorials if you need help for any little thing. Dontgo!

Frederick Douglass Academy 0

Posted September 23, 2009
Provided the best public school education for my son. Proving that there are excellent public schools in the city of New York. The teaching staff was very beneficial in the achievements my son made.

Frederick Douglass Academy
2581 7th Avenue, New York, NY  10039
Last modified Frederick Douglass Academy is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Frederick Douglass Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top