/ School Profile
New York, NY
Before care: Yes

Posted September 13, 2014
Flat out amazing school. This is a special place that is run by a dedicated, passionate, amazing group of educators. The parents are fanatical supporters of the staff and administration. It is by far the best school in the neighborhood and one of the best in Manhattan. The kids are nice and come from motivated, stable homes. The teachers are rock stars. If you can get you child in her, you must.

Posted August 29, 2014
We moved to the UES last year from a very good suburban public school, and I had trepidation about moving her to NYC pub schools. Everyone upstate was horrified at the idea of bringing her into NYC to live and going to a NYC public school. Little did they know! I couldn't be more thrilled with the school. The UES takes education seriously, and the benefits to the kids get are just amazing. Targeted after school help, quality classroom equipment, challenging lessons, educational field trips, recitals (even dance lessons!), the quality of education is just superb. Serious, positive parent involvement as well in PTA. And kids are just really nice kids and the neighborhood is comfortable. Everyone was very welcoming. So glad I made the leap and moved into the city. My daughter found a home in this school and thrives and I get to walk her to school everyday and spend time with her face to face. From what I see the teachers bring their A game every day. I don't regret a thing.

Posted June 23, 2014
Ps 290 Manhattan New School is an amazing school - the teachers are very talented, caring, and do an amazing job of keeping a class of 20+ focused and learning. I have spent a couple of days "observing" and was totally blown away at how the teachers are able to keep the kids engaged. We are much happier at Ps 290 than the 2 private schools before - no attitudes, no pretension, just a great neighborhood school with a focus on the kids

Posted January 15, 2014
This school is amazing. I am a snobby, UES parent who would have never selected a public school for their child. However, my child ended up there. I cannot be more thrilled and impressed with the quality of the teachers, administration and entire staff. It is a warm, nurturing, loving environment from the principal on down.

Ps 290 Manhattan New School 3

Posted June 07, 2012
PS290's excellent reputation is based on the school it used to be, not what it is now. The curriculum emphasizes writing, but neglects fundamentals such as spelling and grammar. My daughter just learned what a verb is... because I had to explain it to her. Math is generally weak, as other reviewers have noted. They teach to the middle, ignoring high performing students (except kids of PTA board members). Teacher quality is inconsistent. A few are excellent, but most are mediocre at best. My daughter's current teacher has not sent home corrected homework since January & brazenly plays favorites in the classroom. The current principal is more interested in playing politics than effectively administering the school. She plays favorites with the children of the PTA board, placing them with better teachers and prioritizing them for enrichment programs. As a result, the PTA operates as a catty insiders club, with board members jockeying to keep their posts and keeping outsiders in their place. Their fundraising efforts are laughable, and communication with the parents is unsatisfactory. Finally, it is 140-150% overcrowded, which the principal wants to maintain for her budget

Posted March 06, 2012
Our daughter started Kindergarten this year and we could not be more thrilled! She absolutely loves the school, and so do we! Our daughter has benefited from the warm and nurturing environment. They make it fun for the kids and that makes them love going to school. Her teacher is excellent, and we sometimes notice our daughter imitating her (really looks up to her as a role model). They have extended day sessions for kids needing additional help - our daughter's fine motor skills have benefited from this program. They have a good after school program as well. I love morning drop offs, as the back yard is abuzz with excited happy kids and energetic parents. The PTA is very active with fund-raising. I've personally been able to contribute by doing a guest session on music. Due to it's limited real estate, the school does not have a spacious auditorium and it's cafeteria doubles up as the gym, but the gym teacher makes the most of it. There is some homework even in K, which I like... The principal, vice principal, teachers and staff at MNS are excellent, and I highly recommend this school...

Posted December 10, 2010
Great new K dual language (English/Mandarin) program. Excellent administration and teachers. Community environment with a diverse population that encourages students to explore and learn about different cultures.

Ps 290 Manhattan New School 4

Posted November 08, 2010
My son is in the 5th grade, so this is our last year at the school. We will miss the community feeling of MNS. Most of the teachers are dedicated to teaching and go above and beyond for their students. The school really helps to bring out the students creativity in the writing and the publishing parties they have help give the students a sense of pride . They could work on grammer and spelling more in the earlier years. the type of Math they teach has always been an issue. My son (as most of the kids we know) has had a tutor to keep him on track in math. The parents really help out in the school and make it a better place with their volunteering and fundraising efforts. The school offers interesting lunch clubs and after school programs. They have enrichment classes and extened day help for the students that need it. We have made many friendships along the way and some special memories to last a lifetime.

Ps 290 Manhattan New School 0

Posted November 03, 2010
I love because wonderful teachers and nice familys. They help my children very much. My children love to go to school evey single day!!

Ps 290 Manhattan New School 4

Posted October 24, 2010
The incredable attention and support and care that the staff give to each one of our children.

Ps 290 Manhattan New School
311 East 82nd Street, New York, NY  10028
Last modified Ps 290 Manhattan New School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 290 Manhattan New School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 110 reviews. Top