/ School Profile
New York, NY

Jhs 383 Philippa Schuyler 3

Posted May 03, 2015
I applied to this school for my son who is going into 5th for the 2015-2016 school year. Funny my child was not a top pick, even though he scored 4 in both ELA and Math last year. He is on the waiting list Even though I was not planning to let my son go, because who applied for 2 schools and my son got in a much better school. Trying to figure out what is JHS looking for.
2 people found this helpful

Posted December 10, 2013
I am a Philippa Schuyler Class of 2013 graduate. Im in highschool now, and I have to say, I miss Schuyler so much. I miss some of the teachers. I hated the school in 6th grade. 7th grade is a taste of what things will be like when your a senior, I started to like the school after i entered 7th grade. Being a senior in the school is the best experiences you will have being a Schuyler student. Yes, more pressure is put on you to do well especially because you will be graduating and moving onto highschool, but it was the best year I, along with many other graduates had. As a senior, pressure is put on you to do what you need to do, and teachers will often talk and give you lectures when you dont. You are told that you are the bosses of the school basically and to be a role model to the younger students. The younger kids look up to you. Message to any 8th graders right now and lower grade students reading this, DONT RELAX. Get every assignment in. To the 8th grade, after highschool week, just because you find out what H.S you go to wont mean you'll graduate. You arent safe until the day you graduate, so dont slack off. I miss Schuyler. Good luck to all,and to all future students-Alumni

Posted September 10, 2013
I have attended I.S.383 for the past 4 years and i loved every second of it. We have a great staff and education system, not only that but we have great kids attending this school. I graduated in 2013 and I love the school i am in now. We help kids with SHSAT exams and at least 23 i know of went to Specialized High Schools. I love everyone there and what they teach. Shout out to Ms.Hoyte who is the best ELA and friend a person can have. Thank You!

Posted March 27, 2013
This school is a very good one. The teachers and students all motivate you to try your best and get good grades. There is alot of initiative taken when teachers have a fear that someone will fail. You can improve dramatically because you can go do extra work at lunch, or after school. At first it may be tough, but after your use to the school you'll be strong. When i enrolled in sixth grade i was so shy and nervous. I use to think everything was "bullying", when it was really just friendly playfulness that i couldn't see because i was so nervous about what others would think about me. This school will help you build a good social lie and view, and will give you life long friends. also, in senior year they offer regents classes (algebra, earth science, and living environment). im currently taking earth science with class 805 and i love it.

Jhs 383 Philippa Schuyler 4

Posted December 02, 2012
I love this school. I am currently in the 7th grade. I have learned alot from this school and have great oppertunities. I would recommend going to this school. As the school moto says " To whom much is given much is required"

Posted October 16, 2012
6th grade was the best year for me i loved having many classes i miss all my sixth grade teachers like my technology teacher, art teacher, and my writing teacher. i wish i had all these classes but writing is not an option in the seventh grade. I'm currently enrolled in Schuyler and its the best school yet. All the classes are great,I give my school an A++ and my school deserves that rating

Jhs 383 Philippa Schuyler 1

Posted July 25, 2012
A good middle school or should I say, a gifted and talented school provides academically for all students and is run by a principal with a vision and the ability to motivate and lead teachers. Not all of the teachers are bad, they have some excellent teachers. They have a few teachers who are actually failing students and cannot provide substantial evidence and the leadership has not acknowledge that there is a problem. This school should be removed as a "Gifted and Talented", It needs to be revamped by the Department of Education. Some of the teachers, along with the students are horrific. The teachers need to be held accountable for their actions or removed from their duties. Again, a good principal is one with a vision and the ability to motivate and lead teachers.

Jhs 383 Philippa Schuyler 3

Posted July 05, 2012
I am writing as a parent and someone who worked on a part time basis with the school. The teachers, for the most part are exceptional I think the program needs to be more challenging and enriching. Some kids are allowed to act out their "ghetto mentality" and this needs to be checked by the administration. Some parents who are serious about their kids will be appalled by their behavior. These supposedly "Gifted and Talented" kids curse and fight in the class room! And most recently, I understand there will be "summer school" this summer for those who failed. In my opinion, these kids should be asked to leave the school. Another thing I find disturbing, is that the parent teacher association does not address the academic standing of the school and student behavior and achievement. I have attended a few meetings, where they only spoke about the political climate of the school, and fundraisers. The teachers do not even attend. I would like the forum to address teachers, students and parents issues, and we all need to be held accountable for our actions and our children's action in the school.

Jhs 383 Philippa Schuyler 2

Posted July 04, 2012
I have different views about this school. I am a seventh grader going to 8th grade next year. the education is decent and teacers arent really that strict. tests come once in a while but the activities are very poor. throughout this whole year, we had one lousy major seventh grade trip, to Funplex which wasnt really that fun either. like other reviews had said, don't get tied up with the name "Gifted and Talented", this was the reason my mom told me to go to this school. the school is great though, the teachers are fun, the ed. is great, gym is nice but the school itself needs a make over. also the school looks, dead. i wouldnt really go to this school, reasearch before u go somewhere. you can find great teachers any where

Jhs 383 Philippa Schuyler 4

Posted December 01, 2011
All 3 of my children have been to I.S.383. The challenging academic program combined with an excellent Arts program gave them the foundation for excellence in High school. I am very proud of the young adults my children have become. I see them living the I.S.383 motto everyday.

Jhs 383 Philippa Schuyler
1300 Greene Avenue, New York, NY  11237
Last modified Jhs 383 Philippa Schuyler is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jhs 383 Philippa Schuyler Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top