Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Ps 3 Charrette School 3

Posted July 14, 2016
The positive aspect of this school is that the environment is warm and welcoming of parents and other family. The school allows family/caretakers to drop kids off in their classrooms and stay awhile. This was particularly helpful for my nephew who was used to that routine from pre-school. The downside of this school is that the environment is a bit chaotic and disorganized. The student to teacher ratio is very high and the school does not encourage student teachers which would alleviate some of the problem. There was an aide in my nephew's class who was assigned to help only one student with developmental disabilities. That aide did nothing to assist the other students despite the fact that she had plenty of free time to do so and the other kids needed assistance. The lunch hour is extremely chaotic. This seems to be a problem at other public schools in NYC.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 23, 2016
I think the teachers at the school are caring and wonderful but it is hard to be completely effective to all the students when the class room size are overcrowded

Ps 3 Charrette School 5

Posted April 01, 2016
Our son is a kindergarten student at PS 3 and we couldn't be more pleased. We turned down two district G&T offers for a place there. Not only is our son happy, making great friends, but he is getting a wonderful education. We initially had our reservations as so many progressive schools, while wonderful in spirit and morale, are slow to teach academics, putting children at a competitive disadvantage by the time middle school rolls around. I am happy to report that has not been our experience at PS 3 - they "do progressive" well. Our son is immersed in inquiry based learned, but is also seems at ease with traditional math and vocabulary concepts. He came home the other day and said, "Guess what? A dozen is 12. Half of 12 is 6. Twice 6 is 12. 6 plus 6 is 12. 12 minus 6 is 6…" and so on. He is confident with addition, subtraction, simple fractions, and shape properties, and really takes his work seriously. While PS 3 doesn’t send home extensive math homework (it does send home reading and writing homework), I often leave math workbook pages on our dining table every Friday evening for our son to work on when he wakes up. He completes all the pages (usually correctly) before waking me up on Saturday morning. I believe he learned this good work ethic from his wonderful teacher at PS 3. With respect to reading, he has quickly learned how to read sentences, and age appropriate book. While still a work in progress, the improvement in just a few months has been amazing.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted November 30, 2015
The lady in the office, Raquel. She is the warmest person, always greeting parents and helpful for any reason.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted November 30, 2015
there's no consistency about homework, they just throw homework whatever they do. Again, so unorganized and chaos.. very disappointing

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted November 30, 2015
Absolutely, each student need more caring and respects on especially on academic, and their interests. Not all the kids are into art..they absolutely need to develop in all different subjects, and materials.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted November 30, 2015
They do have certain great teachers, but seriously they need to develop more teachers ability, and caring for each students, and more respects. The principal there is totally nut case, she doesn't have any respects toward parents at all.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted November 30, 2015
Only thing they care about is money for school, but I don't see any improvement around school facility even though they raise so much money. Where's all the money goes?

Ps 3 Charrette School 1

Posted November 30, 2015
I am very disappointing with this school.They don't really give any homework and don't have any programs about science at all. Whole school system is so unorganized, and principal is so disrespectful.

Ps 3 Charrette School 5

Posted November 23, 2014
special needs parents! PS3 has been amazing in this regard. There are many CTT classes and Also some 12:1:1. Therapists and SBST are really supportive and knowledgable and there is even an ASD support team. I've never had to "fight" for fair services at this school. I regularly meet SN parents at other schools that remark on our experience as being other than the norm and something for which we should be grateful. However I'm sorry to say I just saw poster on insideschools say the gen Ed teacher in 4th grade ICT class is terrible :(( hopefully that won't last ! Also, regarding reputation, Im always a little confused that PS3 retains its rep as the "less structured school" as compared to ps41. I think this is a holdover from hippie days perhaps :) when i walk down the halls during class time it's extremely quiet and looking into classrooms I always see tidy spaces filled with kids busily working. An non-chaotic environment is extremely important to me for my child and I never would have sent my son to a super loose program. Come tour this school!

490 Hudson Street, New York, NY  10014
Last modified Ps 3 Charrette School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.