/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted May 14, 2014
The school is Great . The staff are very dedicated to their students. Bullying! is a no no no,specially by Mr. Lee. The Principal is very involved with the students which make the kids feels very much welcomed to the school everyday. The mandarin program is great. and there is help for the kids both in the morning program and tutoring for students and parents. A lot of family activities. My son is very HAPPY and always looking forward to go to school.

Posted April 30, 2014
This school truly represents the diversity of the Lower East Side and is a community gem. The Principal, James Lee, is a bright and talented leader bringing progressive education to all the children of the community which is a hallmark of a true progressive education. The educators here are very dedicated . There is no fundraising or gala's at this school, the focus is on building community and meeting the diverse educational needs of all the children. Our son is a part of the dual language program, an amazing opportunity and brilliant way to make ESL learners leaders and teachers in their academic community. This coupled with a passionate PTA that puts together great community events and projects make this school unique.

Ps 20 Anna Silver 2

Posted October 11, 2013
This school is a good academic wise but the principal isnt. My son got bullied in Kindergarten and the principal didnt do anything about it. He told me kids will be kids. My son got injured by his teacher and he still did nothing. I wouldn't send any my friends kids there. Im sorry but this is a no good school.

Posted September 14, 2013
This is a great School. my son, learn so much. I highly recommend parents to send their kids to this school.

Ps 20 Anna Silver 4

Posted April 30, 2013
My son relocated to NY with his two young daughters and they enrolled in P.S. 20. I have been so pleased with how much better they are doing in school and that they actually LIKE going to school now. Their reading and writing have improved tremendously. They have really received the attention and instruction that they needed and which is so rare in so many schools.

Ps 20 Anna Silver 4

Posted September 06, 2012
I am very happy with the school. The principal has been very attentive to our concerns and I appreciate that. He is very dedicated to the arts, and because of that the school has many partnerships with places that come and expose the kids to all kinds of activities that the city cut out long ago. My child is in the dual language program, and we are very happy with it. Where else will a child learn Mandarin for FREE? I don't know if they will be fluent, but what they learn at this age will stick with them, and I am pleased that they will not only learn in English. I think to the parents who are not pleased about the test scores, you need to remember that the test does not measure the whole child. There are school that teach so the kids will do well on "the test," but they will suffer in the other areas of development. I prefer my child be well rounded rather than think about the test for 4 years. There ARE schools that are all about testing, but that wasn't the right fit for us. I am so happy we found this school.

Ps 20 Anna Silver 1

Posted July 21, 2011
I was very excited when I heard about the Dual Language Program opening up at the Anna Silver School. I immediately did everything I needed to do to make sure that my child was enrolled in this program. WHAT A BIG MISTAKE! No one speaks mandarin at this schools except for the one teacher. The Principal doesn't speak mandarin. It is only a showcase to draw in middle-class families. It did not live up to what I was told it would be. I don't believe this school prepared my child for the work ahead in First Grade. I am more than disappointed! I am changing schools for my child next year.

Ps 20 Anna Silver 1

Posted June 29, 2011
I should have read the insideschools.org review ( DOWNSIDE: Test scores improving but still too low ) before enrolling my child at this school. I was pleased with the education my child was getting on the lower grades but once my child got into the third grade and took the NYS ELA and Math tests, my child failed. Now my child has to go to summer school and possibly get held over. I expressed my concerns to Mr. Lee earlier in the school year but they were never addressed. He brushed it off and assured me that my child was getting a quality education. I know better than to trust him on his word now. I will be transferring my child to another school next year, not only because of test scores but also because of the large class sizes and the bullying at this school.

Posted February 08, 2011
The dual language immersion program is outstanding. Sing songs around the piano in Mandarin while warming up for the day's activities? Abosolutely. This is the place to be. The principal and teachers are both highly qualified and extremely professional. It is a caring school with a diverse mix of children. The best of New York.

Posted January 09, 2011
My child is in preK at PS 20 and we couldn't be happier with the school. The principle is articulate, caring and committed. He knows every child in the school and will talk to parents about any concerns. This attitude is school wide, including teachers, security, maintenance, and office staff. PreK has a great balance of play and a quite serious early literacy curriculum. My son's teacher is fabulous. She is keeps order while infusing the day with a sense of fun and a love for learning.

Ps 20 Anna Silver
166 Essex Street, New York, NY  10002
Last modified Ps 20 Anna Silver is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 20 Anna Silver Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top