Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Ps 20 Anna Silver 1

Posted December 12, 2015
This school and administration are what is wrong with the public school system these days. Where is the support for a struggling student? Where is the support for a student excelling? Where are the repercussions for a student who feels bullied or uncomfortable in the PS 20 environment? Select teachers try to help but they can only do so much with the lack of support they, they have. The School administration is standoffish, rude, lacks interpersonal skills, and truly does not care about the community that has been built by previous families. Even after complaints and concerns, the state of the school is still in disarray. Students are not gaining the knowledge they need to succeed. There is a major inconsistency with staff and curriculum. Students dread going to class while teachers stumble around unprepared because they are covering subjects and grades not expected. Even "consistent" teachers are not meeting with the students on a weekly basis. Meetings have been called in which the school admin. convey the same information but without any solutions. The families are brimming with anger and it is spilling over as they have patiently waited for the school to get it's act together. How much more do the students have to suffer? How much more do the families have to endure? If administration is unable to work out a way to help both struggling and excelling students alike, isn't it time for them to come out from behind the curtain and say so? The goggles and glasses are off of our eyes and we see that the wizard truly has no power.

Posted December 11, 2015
There is a friendly and creative spirit in the classrooms, hallways and admin office. We visited over 20 schools, and got a feel for which better nurture the children's creative and social development and which appear less effective. Anna Silver ranks high in this regard.

Posted November 23, 2015
PS 20M Anna Silver is a hidden gem with parents and staff members who truly care. It is a pleasure to walk in and to be greeted by a a friendly officer, walk over to the parents room and see a large group of parents heavily discussing ideas of upcoming projects, and to step into the main office and receive warm smiles regardless of how busy the office staff may be. Above all is great to see so many children smiling as they connect with their friends. In addition, they are many teachers in the school who truly care and this is visible when you attend a parent teacher conference. The PTA is heavily involved and is dedicated to making it a place where students and their parents are proud to be part of.

Posted May 14, 2014
The school is Great . The staff are very dedicated to their students. Bullying! is a no no no,specially by Mr. Lee. The Principal is very involved with the students which make the kids feels very much welcomed to the school everyday. The mandarin program is great. and there is help for the kids both in the morning program and tutoring for students and parents. A lot of family activities. My son is very HAPPY and always looking forward to go to school.

Posted April 30, 2014
This school truly represents the diversity of the Lower East Side and is a community gem. The Principal, James Lee, is a bright and talented leader bringing progressive education to all the children of the community which is a hallmark of a true progressive education. The educators here are very dedicated . There is no fundraising or gala's at this school, the focus is on building community and meeting the diverse educational needs of all the children. Our son is a part of the dual language program, an amazing opportunity and brilliant way to make ESL learners leaders and teachers in their academic community. This coupled with a passionate PTA that puts together great community events and projects make this school unique.

Ps 20 Anna Silver 2

Posted October 11, 2013
This school is a good academic wise but the principal isnt. My son got bullied in Kindergarten and the principal didnt do anything about it. He told me kids will be kids. My son got injured by his teacher and he still did nothing. I wouldn't send any my friends kids there. Im sorry but this is a no good school.

Posted September 14, 2013
This is a great School. my son, learn so much. I highly recommend parents to send their kids to this school.

Ps 20 Anna Silver 4

Posted April 30, 2013
My son relocated to NY with his two young daughters and they enrolled in P.S. 20. I have been so pleased with how much better they are doing in school and that they actually LIKE going to school now. Their reading and writing have improved tremendously. They have really received the attention and instruction that they needed and which is so rare in so many schools.

Ps 20 Anna Silver 4

Posted September 06, 2012
I am very happy with the school. The principal has been very attentive to our concerns and I appreciate that. He is very dedicated to the arts, and because of that the school has many partnerships with places that come and expose the kids to all kinds of activities that the city cut out long ago. My child is in the dual language program, and we are very happy with it. Where else will a child learn Mandarin for FREE? I don't know if they will be fluent, but what they learn at this age will stick with them, and I am pleased that they will not only learn in English. I think to the parents who are not pleased about the test scores, you need to remember that the test does not measure the whole child. There are school that teach so the kids will do well on "the test," but they will suffer in the other areas of development. I prefer my child be well rounded rather than think about the test for 4 years. There ARE schools that are all about testing, but that wasn't the right fit for us. I am so happy we found this school.

Ps 20 Anna Silver 1

Posted July 21, 2011
I was very excited when I heard about the Dual Language Program opening up at the Anna Silver School. I immediately did everything I needed to do to make sure that my child was enrolled in this program. WHAT A BIG MISTAKE! No one speaks mandarin at this schools except for the one teacher. The Principal doesn't speak mandarin. It is only a showcase to draw in middle-class families. It did not live up to what I was told it would be. I don't believe this school prepared my child for the work ahead in First Grade. I am more than disappointed! I am changing schools for my child next year.

Ps 20 Anna Silver
166 Essex Street, New York, NY  10002
Last modified Ps 20 Anna Silver is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.