Posted August 04, 2014
As a parent of a G&T student at PS33, I have nothing but praise for the school. As stated in many of the reviews, the teachers are the stars of the school. Criticism of the principal is unjustified; she has kept this small, underappreciated school afloat, greets/addresses students by name (she knows many of the parents too). From what I understand the PTA was an unorganized, mess. Under the current leadership, new initiatives, fundraisers and activities have blossomed. There is fiscal responsibility has replaced apathy and neglect. The one negative is the funding for the school, which I understand, was slashed due to the G&T enrollment which threw off the numbers (I'm hazy on the details). The music program was cut. However, the parents and administration stepped up and were able to replace the music program. Many parents may be put off by the location of the school, but I embrace the diversity and the ever-changing landscape of NYC has now placed the school on the Highline and in the midst of the Chelsea art galleries. PS33 is a quiet, hidden gem. The G&T program is relatively new and the test scores/track record belie the greatness of the families and teachers at PS33.

Posted August 02, 2014
Excellent experience for my son who is now going into the 2nd grade for G&T. The curriculum is top-notch and demanding but this is a G*T class after all. There are a few whiner parents who complain about the homework loads so if you want an avg education for your child don't go to this school. Homework daily is the norm so please be ready to commit as a parent. Overall, the community is great and the school is safe and secure. Some parents don't like the principal because she'll tell the parents what they "need" to hear not what they "want" to hear. We've been so pleased with this program and our friends who have kids at Nest and Anderson have said PS 33 is above what they do at those schools. The pace is fast in G&T and parents should be ready to commit to time and energy to help their child on a daily basis. The food in the cafeteria isn't the best so our son brings his own lunch every day.

Posted May 31, 2014
PS33 is a great school with some of the best teachers in NYC and a very strong principal. It's too bad that some parents have to report erroneous information about the school when they can't get their way about something....it just damages their own child's education. The school has been an "A" school specifically because of the principal's leadership - she is the one that took the helm of a failing school 10 years ago and made it one of the most sought after schools in the city. PS33 remains the one of the most diverse schools in the city and all students, whether in general education or G&T, receive a first rate education.

Ps 33 Chelsea Prep 1

Posted May 31, 2014
As a P.S. 33 parent and former PTA member, I've witnessed the decline of this school under the directorship of the current principal. The school has a lot of programs, but often are geared towards the families that have a lot of extra money to spare. When families can't pay, they can't participate. In the neighborhood, the school has a reputation for marginalizing students who are not "gifted and talented". Those students get the better programs and resources. The special education at this school is terrible. I'm pretty sure they are breaking some laws because there are NO 12:1 classrooms. I've heard similar things from other parents. The discipline is also the worst. Kids are rough housing and cursing at each other. The only factors keeping me in the community are the stellar teachers and my daughter's social circle. The teachers are the ones that keep that place together. My daughter has been at this school for the past 5 years and have had an excellent teacher most years. I've become good friends with a few of them and have told me they don't support the unethical decisions the principal makes, but fear for their jobs if they speak up.

Posted October 24, 2013
My schools has the best teachers in the city! My son is having a great experience.

Ps 33 Chelsea Prep 4

Posted September 26, 2013
The school is little bit disorganized, but all staff are dedicated to improvement. They work really hard to make good things happen to school.

Posted September 11, 2013
PS33 is a very good school for my daughter. Since my daughter was enrolled in this school two years ago, she has made rapid progress in class. The principal, teachers and staff are very kind. My daughter really enjoy her study here.

Posted September 05, 2013
PS 33 is an excellent public school with top notch teachers and principal and staff.

Posted August 31, 2013
The Principal, admin staff and teachers at PS33 are exceptional. They have shown so much care for the children throughout the school year. My daughter has learned a lot while strengthening her love for learning. I cannot ask for more. She already cannot wait to be back in school.

Posted August 23, 2013
Chelsea Prep's Gifted and Talented program is amazing. My children's kindergarten experience was outstanding. Their teacher was so enthusiastic, thoughtful and creative. She was in constant communication with parents and is a devoted teacher who clearly loves teaching and her students. The school is racially diverse and has a strong sense of community. Parent involvement at school is strongly encouraged. The PTA is committed to maintaining high standards for the school. And the principal provides strong leadership, is very hands on and practically minded. She is also accessible to parents and very present at the school. I feel very lucky my children got into this school.

Ps 33 Chelsea Prep
281 9th Avenue, New York, NY  10001
Last modified Ps 33 Chelsea Prep is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 33 Chelsea Prep Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top