Posted January 14, 2014
We are so grateful to have our son enrolled in Kindergarten at PS40. We have been thilled from day one with the teacher, the school administration and PTA. This week the school is organizing a reading Olympics which is a fantastic way to encourage your young children to read. They also have Family Fridays when we can come into the classroom and participate in a family project with the kids. In December it was the book fair, the healthy bake sale, the international potluck lunch, the school is active in so many ways and provides so many opportunities to participate in your child's everyday school life! Especially as working parents to know that your child is excited to go to school, is learning a tremendous amount on a daily basis (our son is now reading to us and he is not even 6!), more importantly maybe that they have the patience and profesionalism to channel positively high energy kids is also a total relief for us. We have been very impressed with the school in general, its leadership and organization. From workshops to field trips to special days we have really felt like this was the perfect environment for our child and we are extremely grateful for that!

Posted November 05, 2012
I really love PS 40. This is my second child who has been part of the NYC educational system. The first child experienced private education as her primary school experience. PS 40 is the best of all worlds. The teachers follow varying teaching styles, so your child will have experience with a variety of personalities,. While this may seem disappointing to some parents, it is a necessary skill for children to have. All the teachers are invested and good at what they do. The staff and faculty is receptive to parent discussion, and doesn't spend useless time wasted on the parents who constantly complain but instead remain proactive about educating. The neighborhood is community oriented and the parents all hang out at the parks surrounding the school. Everyone pitches in to help each other. And honestly, the Halloween party is the best i've ever seen at a public school. It should be written up as an event must go. No school is perfect, but this is as perfect as it gets--true community, true educating, true parenting. Yes, they have gossip, and the rest-- but come on... we are talking humans, people. All schools are subject to humanness.

P.S. 40 Augustus St.-Gaudens 1

Posted January 20, 2012
Very disappointed. Principal has favorites. Does ZERO about the bullying going on here (rampant). PTA bickering and gossiping. Happy to be out of there.

P.S. 40 Augustus St.-Gaudens 3

Posted May 23, 2011
just testing to see whether this review system works thank you. I will be posting a longer review shortly.

Posted March 31, 2011
We entered this school cautiously after considering private school, worried about academic rigor and class size. After a few years I can say my concerns were totally unfounded. With a middle class-to-affluent zone area (downside: not that ethnically diverse), these kids as a general rule behave well, come in socialized to the school situation from nursery school, and have involved parents. That, plus strong teachers means that classes of 25 have really not been a problem. My son adores his teacher and LOVES this school. We will have to pry him out with a crow bar after 5th grade. The reading program is intense, starting in kindergarden, and each kid is assigned an individually-tailored reading level that pushes them to maximize their abilities. The district 2 math program "TERC" is different from the way I learned and so I was suspicious, but it seems to work. There is more emphasis on concepts and logical problem solving than rote memorization. A lushly funded PTA provides things like chess, visiting authors etc. The principal is warm and thoughtful and knows every child by name. And with a neighborhood school, all my son's school friends live in the neighborhood!

P.S. 40 Augustus St.-Gaudens 1

Posted February 09, 2011
Lousy staff who yell and punish kids for any small infraction. The Parent Teacher coordinator talks to parents as if they too were 6 years old. BEWARE

Posted January 04, 2011
Incredibly satisfied with the school. Amazing teachers in every grade and subject One of my kids has been there since pre-k and is now in 4th grade. The principal gets an A++++ for everything. PTA does amazing work for the school.

P.S. 40 Augustus St.-Gaudens 0

Posted November 08, 2010
Both my children have had a fantastic education and have been extremely happy at PS40.

P.S. 40 Augustus St.-Gaudens 4

Posted April 06, 2010
We joined the school this year and felt very welcomed. It is like a family. Class size could be better but it is not so bad. A lot of activities and PTA involvement. I wish it had some G&T or advanced curriculum. Overall, we made a great choice and I wouldn't change it.

P.S. 40 Augustus St.-Gaudens 2

Posted March 16, 2010
Teachers are great. They really teach well. My son is learning so many things. But you can tell they don't have enough man power as it is always a case for a public school. When a student gets injured or gets sick, they ask two other students escort that student to a school nurse even in kindergarten.

P.S. 40 Augustus St.-Gaudens
320 E 20th St, New York, NY  10003
Last modified P.S. 40 Augustus St.-Gaudens is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
P.S. 40 Augustus St.-Gaudens Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews.