/ School Profile
New York, NY

P.S. 41 Greenwich Village 2

Posted October 22, 2014
This is our third year at PS41 and for the life of me, I am still trying to figure out why it has such a wonderful reputation. It's just an ordinary school. Some teachers are nice; some are complete witches. The classes are huge (27-29 kids). The receptionist is widely avoided. The student/parent body is hugely lacking in ANY kind of ethnic, cultural or even economic diversity. The PTA throws a lot of parties and fundraisers so I guess there's that. But is it the high test scores that make this school so highly lauded? Because it's widely known that the scores are high because the kids all have tutors. Any kid anywhere can have that. I feel my kids' reading levels have actually been (purposely or negligently) held back, which doesn't seem to be a particularly valuable educational move to me. Families come to this school in droves and I just don't get it. But the longer we stay, the more I think the emperor has no clothes. We are all just too afraid to be the first ones to admit it.
2 people found this helpful

P.S. 41 Greenwich Village 4

Posted August 31, 2014
We chose P.S. 3 instead of P.S.41 for several reasons. First, P.S.41is almost completely white (as are we) and that is a big turn-off. I want my child to experience different cultures and races, and P.S. 41 is less diverse than some private schools. Also, the parents-teachers have a false sense of superiority about their school, whereas P.S.3 is more welcoming and not part of the corporate mentality. Also, P.S.41 is deficient in teaching English and Math( the two most important subjects) and parents have to hire tutors to get their kid's grades up to grade level!! Now how is this a superior school? Oh. And the receptionist is very rude.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 17, 2014
We have a 1st grader and 4th grader at PS 41 and couldn't be more impressed with the teachers and administrators. They are very focused on specific needs of the child and there is always additional help when needed. Kelly Shannon is the most amazing principal and runs this place better than many private schools, she understands how to work thru the bureaucracy that NYC's DOE creates for their "one size fits all" mentality to education. Kelly thinks outside of the box and allows whats best for individual students by working closely with parents, teachers and other aid offered in the school to make it an optimal learning experience. The PTA's massive fundraising ensures the school can offer the latest technology, additional classes in the arts, and overall quality education. It is very much a community school with amazing students and parents from the West Village area. We LOVE PS 41!!!!!!!

Posted August 14, 2014
What a fantastic community school!!! Our daughter graduated from PS41 and we really feel that anyone who is able to send their child their is incredibly lucky. Wonderful teachers and great community feeling. Lots of school spirit and great extras like drama, music and holiday events. Wonderful OT and speech department for kids that need some extra help. They keep the communication open. Love 41!!!!!!!

Posted November 13, 2013
I have two children at PS41- in first and prek . The school has amazing resources, extraordinary teachers and faculty- and state of the art teaching techniques and facilities. The teachers keep all parents very informed- and stay on top of the child's progress. At first I was hesitant to send my children to a public school. Both my wife and I went to a private school- and have professional degrees, respectively. After the first year at kindergarten, I saw my child's growth- and was rest assured with sending a second child. The PTA is a hidden gem at the school- sponsoring free chess classes, among other integrated programs. Most importantly, most of the parent-body and student-body are fine, caring, intelligent and nurturing, thereby inspiring ambitious ubiquity.

P.S. 41 Greenwich Village 4

Posted October 20, 2013
P.S. 41 is a great school with fantastic teachers & administrators, and it's ideal for kids who are self-starters, highly motivated and bright. The more you get involved as parents, the more you get out of it. My wish: that all teachers were reachable by email, and used the eChalk website for posting homework and communicating. Communications home are scattered: pieces of paper in backpacks, eChalk, emails from PTA, class parents & the parent coordinator. This should all be synchronized through eChalk so nobody misses anything!

Posted September 17, 2013
Very well managed school. Not for the parent who needs helicopter or hand holding. They know what they are doing and do it professionally. Lots of support (counseling/reading/etc). The PTA is very strong and active and inclusive.

Posted June 23, 2013
My daughter came into PS 41 as a 3rd grader from a nearby catholic school and we are beyond thrilled. It's like a private school except that people are friendly and grateful to have a friendly, involved, creative, challenging and stimulating environment with a real warm neighborhood feel. My daughter's other new 3rd grade friend to the school is Puerto Rican and this girl and her brother love the school so I don't know what the post below is about. The school is like the United Nations with all the kids getting along wonderfully as opposed to our old catholic school, where there was bullying everywhere. Here, no bullying that I have heard of! There is order, structure and discipline yet freedom and encouragement. Kids are actually happy to go to school!

P.S. 41 Greenwich Village 1

Posted March 22, 2013
HORRIBLE my daughter attends ps 41 and they have been rude and disgusting from day one. We are hispanic and we do not feel welcomed at all. i believe there RACIST. ALL who work in the office are DISGUSTING. I also believe that if you contribute loads of money to the school then you will be VIP IN there eyes. THIS SCHOOL IS A DISGRACE IF YOUR HISPANIC OR AFRICAN AMERICAN THEY TREAT YOU AS IF YOU DONT BELONG DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted September 24, 2012
Terrific school, strong academics, nice teachers, best facility i've seen with large playground, auditorium, cafeteria, smart boards, computers, afterschool, arts, drama, chess, dance, etc. Nicer than the private schools that surround it! Very happy to have chosen it. The zone also allows the option of ps3 which is similar and strong in all areas but doesn't have as nice a facility. and ps 11 nearby is a great school.

P.S. 41 Greenwich Village
116 West 11th Street, New York, NY  10011
Last modified P.S. 41 Greenwich Village is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
P.S. 41 Greenwich Village Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top