Posted February 01, 2014
I recently visited the school and have to say this school's principal and staff are amazing. Our child currently attends one of the 'best' private schools in this great city, but I have to say that pride, resources and community behind this school were impressive. The auditorium and technology in the school are so well equipped, it exceeded all the private schools we visisted The only question is student ratio, however, glad the parent body supports teaching aides in each classroom.

Ps 59 Beekman Hill International 1

Posted January 23, 2014
A kindergarten child was just lost and left unattended in the school and walked out to his home block away lucky his parents where home . (Just like avonte) Please talk to your children and the board of education has a lot of explaining to do.

Ps 59 Beekman Hill International 3

Posted January 08, 2014
This is the IKEA of public schools. It is clean and shiny and has many, many options to choose from. On the other hand, it is huge, can be impersonal, is always asking for money and you'll have navigate much of your experience on your own. This elementary school feels like a college. On the plus side, the academics are solid. My son is pretty smart, and he's constantly challenged by both the volume and level of class work and homework. There are many "electives," from after-school clubs and chess to track and chorus. The kids also get science, technology and drama. On the minus side, it is huge - 600 kids over seven floors and two lower levels. I could see how a young child might be intimidated. Also, the size makes it seem under-staffed, and you really have to push to get personal attention. For example, there is only ONE parent coordinator for 600 families, so you'd better make friends with her if you want to know the inside scoop on things. Also, be prepared to pay up: the PTA is always asking for money or holding fundraisers. It would be good to have more info on where that money goes.

Posted December 20, 2012
My daughter began Kindergarten at PS59 this year and I can verify that the hype is justified! This school is incredible. Highly involved parents, very generously funded PTA, dedicated staff, a welcoming family feel, and incredible extracurricular as well as regular day specialty offerings. The children I encounter in the halls, of all grade levels, all seem to be very happy with smiling faces and terrific manners! It is very endearing to consistently see the older kids stopping to hold doors open for me (I'm pregnant) and my Kindergartener. It is no surprise why this is the most sought after school zone to get into! Oh, and the brand new building on 56th is wonderful.

Posted October 26, 2012
The school is fantastic! Amazing staff, facility, PTA, and after-school programs. We feel very blessed to have our son in this school and he LOVES it!

Posted October 24, 2012
We have two sons in 59 and we can testify it has been just fantastic for us. We have been here for a year now and were very lucky as we arrived in time to benefit from the schools move into its brand new building. Our eldest joined in 1st grade and was a year behind after moving from out of state, the reading recovery program, along with the early bird support program means he is catching up to his peers much quicker than I thought possible. Our youngest is in Kindergarten and loves it. They both don't want to leave every evening! The PTA is amazing, very energized and manage to fund classroom assistants for most if not every k and yr1 classroom. I am not aware of a single negative issue at this school, and I am including feedback from all other parents I have spoken to as well - Cannot recommend enough!!!!!

Posted November 19, 2011
My son is in 1st grade and we have had a wonderful experience since his kindergarten year. His teachers have been excellent and are extremely responsive and accessible. The emphasis on reading and writing little stories starting in kindergarten is impressive. The parent body is very nice and down to earth and the PTA is very active and involved. I wish the science program was more robust and I'm hopeful that it will happen once we move into our new facility in Sept 2012. There are so many benefits of a neighborhood school that cannot be replicated in a g&t or independent school setting. Its so nice to walk around our community and recognize the other children and families from our school. It creates a sense of community in a very big city that is really heartwarming.

Posted October 23, 2011
Teachers are excellent, Principal and her Assistant are great, PTA is taking care of everything happening at school.

Posted July 23, 2010
The teachers and staff at this school are amazing. Our daughter has received an excellent level of attention in her kidergarten class and left school this year reading at almost a second grade level. The teachers are all very communicative with parents, and very helpful with respect to pointing out weaknesses and areas of strength for your child. The administration of the school is phenomenal, and and very inspirational to the kids (and me as a parent). It is perhaps the most well maintained school facility I have been in, public or private. We decided to keep our daughter in this school over moving her in the G&T program.

Posted May 25, 2010
The teachers know our kids very well and know how to teach them, they have been very helpful in giving extra challenging work when appropriate. Admin is very focused, rightly so, on what is best for the kids; they could be better at giving advance notice of meetings/ events so that parents can plan. PTA is very active and raises money for many extra programs/ assistant teachers which are critical to the school's success.

Ps 59 Beekman Hill International
233 E 56th St, New York, NY  10065
Last modified Ps 59 Beekman Hill International is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 59 Beekman Hill International Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 52 reviews.