/ School Profile
New York, NY
Before care: Yes

Posted November 09, 2013
This school is family oriented. My children learn by participating in all activities. Music program is organized and the teacher is always available. Piano class is helping my child to focus and grow academically. Art program teaches foundation of colors & shapes to form a unique creation of artworks. My second grader really enjoys the dance program (Yoga, Modern). There have been some minor incidents but all issues were resolved positively. Entire staff from the main office to the teachers work as a team. I selected STAR Academy because teachers address all types of learners. Some schools are traditional and some are independent schools. STAR Academy is versatile and teaches a student to be self manage & responsible in preparation to be successful for upper school and college/ Tech school.

Posted November 04, 2013
I would like to say that this school has been nothing but great to my daughter since she entered the school in kindergarten. She is now in 3rd grade and still loves the school as well as the staff. The staff goes above and beyond to make sure that us parents are well informed of everything that goes on with our children. Ms. Alice the parent coordinator has always been awesome and amazing to everyone.

Posted April 18, 2013
This school is excellent, a cut above alot of other public schools. The teachers are caring and engaging. The curriculum is challenging. The staff look for innovative ways to keep the students up to speed and having fun. My daughter enjoys going to school everyday. No school is without room for improvement however, this school is an excellent marriage between creativity and academic excellence.

Posted March 16, 2013
I went to this back in the 70's in 4th grade, I had Mr Haupt for my 4th and 5th grade teacher and mrs. ghillis in 6th grade, at that time I went here, the school was great and the teacher's was very good teachers, I can't believe this school will change for the worse as i was reading others reviews, and all I can say I had a very good experience in this school, it had taught me how to read and become a good student. I just hope that the teacher's still care for the present day student as they did when I went to school there, I came from a catholic school from 4th grade to PS 63 4th grade and my reading level was 2 grades below level, PS 63 had bought my reading level upto grade level and meet my best friend there and other friends I had meet going to this school.

S.T.A.R. Academy - PS 63 1

Posted April 16, 2012
This is the worst school Ever!... Teachers just rate this school in a positive matter. This school needs a new face lift. The kids are not put first. My child attended this school last year. I pulled out my child a few months ago. Worst school ever. He received the worst education ever at PS 63.

Posted November 13, 2011
PS 63 STAR Academy is an amazing school. The class size is small, the students are engaged, and the administration is constantly working to make the school a better place. The school runs smoothly due to the great leadership of the principal and the dedicated teachers who work long into the night creating fun and educationally challenging programs for the students. The parents are always willing to help and support the school in any way possible. I am proud to be a teacher at STAR Academy.

Posted November 13, 2011
From the perspective of the school librarian--working with both PS 63 and PS 363 in the building--I can say that Principal Despeignes enables a dynamic library program for our teachers and students. This administration understands that students' excitement about reading encourages reading and reading itself improves reading skills. High expectations for good behavior and academics are upheld by every teacher that works with me in the library, and with the small class sizes, no child "falls through the cracks." The staff is working hard to overturn the school's undeserved negative image. Positive parent involvement could be stronger.

Posted November 13, 2011
I am pleasantly surprise! We had a few bad experiences in The Neighborhood School which is in the same building. The worst was when my 5 year old son had an asthma attack at The Neighborhood School and the nurse had called me to pick him up. When I arrived at the school in less than an hour time; he was removed from the nurse office by a staff. I found him lying on the bare floor in the main office which was crowded with kids and adults. When I spoke to the secretary that was in the room at the time, she stated that she offered him her scarf but he refused. I consider that environment unsafe. Losing hope in public school system; I enroll him in private school which closed after a few years. A friend recommended P.S. 63; I was definitely unsure about enrolling him but I am glad I did. In a year my son has blossom so much. P.S. 63 academics is very similar to the private school my son went to. I found the teachers and principle to be kind and informative. They always make an effect to reach out to the parents.. They also have the boys project which my son looks forward to every Wednesday. My son is the most precious gift I received. We finally found a home at P.S.63!

Posted November 06, 2011
Congratulations to The S.T.A.R Academy- PS 63 for being the "Top Performing Elementary School" in all of District 1. Check out the City-wide Progress Reports to see how all of the District 1 schools ranked. I went to a District meeting and saw a poster of all the scores. I was excited to see my child's school on the top.

Posted November 03, 2011
This is a great school! My son has attended this school since kindergarten and he is currently in the 5th grade. Each year, his teachers have been fabulous - extremely dedicated and caring. He is reading well above his grade level and performed extremely well on the state exams. The principal has worked to keep the class sizes small and each year new programs are offered (like the enrichment program for gifted students, student jobs, family fun nights), and more improvements are made. Most importantly - my son is happy, safe and challenged academically! We will be sad to leave next year when he goes to middle school.

S.T.A.R. Academy - PS 63
121 E 3rd St, New York, NY  10009
Last modified S.T.A.R. Academy - PS 63 is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
S.T.A.R. Academy - PS 63 Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top