/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted September 02, 2015
My hijo ha estado en 2 escuelas diferentes, llegó ha esta escuela en el 2013 y ha sido una bendicion, en menos de un año el avance fue increíble lee y escribe en inglés con mucha fluidez, en matemáticas le va fenomenal, y el está feliz de pertenecer a esta escuela, algo que no pudo conseguir en las demás escuelas. Los profesores son excelentes, el staff y la seguridad muy amable, te hacen sentir como casa, la principal Ms. Garcia no tiene comparación una mujer con carácter, tierna, preparada, y siempre está disponible para recibirnos, es exepcional. Lo mejor que me le ha pasado a mi hijo fue encontrar esta escuela.

Posted October 21, 2014
This Principal is a bully!! She bullies her staff. She tries to intimidate teachers and other staff members by using her power to get things accomplish. Shame on the DOE to allow such a principal to run a school!!! She frowns upon Special Ed. Shame Shame Shame!!!

Posted January 10, 2014
I came to PS 65 as a teacher 12 years ago. In comparison to the other two schools I taught in, this was heaven! The children are courteous and thoughtful. There are few if any real discipline problems. Learning is rigorous and results are apparent. When I cam to PS65, we had the lowest scores in the district in reading and math.When Principal Garcia came, things started to turn around. Within 3 years, PS.65 became the top school in reading and math scores. It had been ranked well developed and given top grades by the Department of Education. Parents and Teachers appreciate the turnaround as evidenced by the A rating given the school by Staff and Parents in the yearly school report card. Yes, the administration had to weed out some ineffective teachers, but that has to be done in all work environments. Teaching grades were changed, teachers were given retraining and some improved and some left....Today PS65 is a model school. I am proud to be part of the staff!

Posted August 03, 2013
i taught at this school and was astonished by what was happening. Students who were supposed to received special education services were not. They were place in a co-teaching classroom where there was not even a sp.ed teacher present. Teachers were moved from one to the next with no reasoning and no time to explain to the kids. Only work from the top kid was displayed which was very frustrating to me as a special education teacher. The administration bullies the teachers into putting up their best students work but it is all fake. There is no time to teach new skills. Students are writing constantly in all subjects which was really just copying what the teacher had given them. i would never recommend this school to a family or anyone looking for a teaching job. Kids have no time to play or have fun or work on any social skills in a natural setting. Please think twice before sending you child here.

Ps 65 4

Posted February 03, 2013
The principal makes herself available for meetings. Very well communication between parents and teachers. I noticed cliques between students. After school is available and Saturday classes for students who need extra help. I only wish this school went up to 8th grade

Posted December 28, 2012
I taught here a couple of years ago. The principal (Garcia) was focused on showing off to the public, and anyone that came into the building. Teachers spent hours making bulletin board, instead of analyzing student work and creating lesson plans. Students wrote essays in every academic area. Curriculum was not developmentally appropriate. I saw classes where kindergarteners were expected to write 5 paragraph essays, yet I never saw the art of writing taught. Instead, teachers would write it for them and the students would re-write it in their hand writing. If teachers hadn't done this then they would have been penalized for incorrect spelling, grammar etc in kindergarten work! Special Ed. students were ignored. During lessons instead of helping my Special Ed students I was told to help other students get there work read y for the bulletin board, and the other kids could just draw. I was horrified with the lack of instruction, and quit halfway through the year, after being removed from the class, and being placed in a different setting, therefore leaving my Special. Ed. students unsupported in their classroom without the services that were mandated in their IEPS!

Ps 65 4

Posted May 22, 2012
This is my daughter's first year here transfering from another school. At first I thought I would have a problem with her, but far from it.. She absolutely love this school!! The teachers are professional and I feel that my daughter has learned alot there... Also the security is excellent... I highly recommend this school..

Posted May 06, 2012
This is wonderful school. my child love this school and I love this school too.

Ps 65 3

Posted July 28, 2011
The school appears to be a great school; However, there is lack of parent involvement and poor leadership.

Posted April 06, 2005
A great school for children with artistic inclinations.

Ps 65
696 Jamaica Avenue, New York, NY  11208
Last modified Ps 65 is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 65 Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top