/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted February 28, 2015
To the parent that just reviewed PS 85 and says that it gets more credit then it deserves. Is this really what you believe or are you just a troll? If my child was at a school as you described, I would spend more time getting my child in a school that fits my needs or my child's needs then taking the time to post in great schools. As a parent of a child that has been in the school for 5 years, and is in the school often helping the school and all the children in the school, I have not seen what you experienced. Is the school perfect? no. But based on the state tests, if you believe in them, the school children are performing above the rest of the local schools. My child looks forward to go to school everyday, so I don't see her observing the same thing you observed in school and she is there everyday. Sometimes, its the school. Sometimes, its the parent and sometimes is just a troll. Which hat are you wearing? I think I know.

Ps 85 Judge Charles Vallone 3

Posted February 03, 2015
This school gets way more credit than it deserves. The principal is terrible. She yells and yells and yells. She will even yell in the middle of the children's choir concert... a great way to show that it's really about the kids... She's awful. The staff is mean and unorganized. I saw one of the people who works there push a child (lightly) and tell them to get to class. The "security" is rude and unhelpful. The teachers are decent, but this is really just an average school with the heart of a military. Cold and un-nurturing. I look at the environment where my child spends most of the day - the surroundings and the people and I greatly dislike that these are the people making the greatest impact on my child's life.

Posted January 08, 2015
My son transferred from a private school, which was terrific until the school brought in a new teacher, who's methods were not effective and I found my son losing interest in school. He has been at PS 85Q since Sept 2014 as a 4th grade student, after a short transitional period I can see improvement. He is becoming more confident, a better reader and enjoying math, science, and the enrichment program the school offers. He is also enrolled in Serious Fun Afterschool Program and enjoys the classes he takes. He is getting more physical activity and has friends of different ethnicity and backgrounds. The school is a jewel, the pricipal, staff and teachers are pleasant, helpful, and doing a wonderful job.

Posted September 23, 2013
This is a nurturing community/school. My child is very happy, is learning, has great teachers and lots of enrichment. The school is always trying to improve and is very accessible. Lots of engaged parents, too and a very diverse community.

Posted October 13, 2011
This school is a gem and serves a very diverse population, both in terms of backgrounds and learning styles. It has ELL, Special Ed, General Ed and G and T and the school embraces them all. The principal is straightforward and accessible, the teachers are caring and engaging. My child is in the gifted program and her teachers have been fantastic. I think all children are valued and the school is not afraid to incorporate technology and new approaches to learning. There is a great science lab/teacher, music, robotics, chess, etc. and also a great afterschool program, Serious Fun. Couldn't be happier. It's a special place where children are happy!

Posted May 16, 2010
my son is in 1st grade and my daughter also graduated 5th grade from here. I am so satisfied and school staff is so professional helpful and friendly. my son is in good enviornment in ps-85 school.

Posted May 05, 2010
P.S. 85 is a wonderful school with great teachers and the best after school programs. Great learning environment for the students and parents.

Posted May 05, 2010
My daughter absoulutely loves this school. The teachers and staff are outstanding and the ciriculum is fantastic. I would gladly recommend this scholl to anyone.

Posted May 05, 2010
This school is dedicated to the children in all aspects. Teachers are 100% in my book. My daughter has been in the school since Pre-K and even before that she wanted to be in this school. It's like a family to us.

Posted May 04, 2010
My daughter is in the STEM Program and she absolutely loves it as well as her teachers.

23-70 31st Street, New York, NY  11105
Last modified Ps 85 Judge Charles Vallone is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 85 Judge Charles Vallone Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top