/ School Profile

Posted June 26, 2014
The administration is cold, unreceptive and deceptive. I ABSOLUTELY AM DISGUSTED that I chose this school for my child. You can never reach the principle. I emailed her twice in February it is now June, she has never contacted me. I even reach out the to the administrative team and finally the assistant principle no one has yet to contact me. The teachers do not respond to your concerns sooner. This school only cares about money and test scores. They do not want to invest in good education for your child or the time to nurture and build positive relationships with your child to create a fun loving happy environment to thrive in. Signed I can't wait to find another school for my child!

Posted March 08, 2014
Principal is completely off limits. My 6th grade child had a great time; not so with her younger sibling. The parent coordinator is REPREHENSIBLE. I stopped giving money and am instead paying for a tutor. God, if they could only get rid of the parent coordinator.

Posted February 11, 2014
I am so happy to have finally had my children leave this school. And for the longest time, I couldn't put into words why I disliked this school so much. Sure, they are always asking for money, all schools must. Their after school programs can be pricey and are not very good, but they weren't awful and they were priced at a reasonable level. The teachers were wonderful (save for a few who seem to be just biding their time,which I can understand seeing their working environment). But mostly, there's NO HEART in this school. Morale is so low, it's actually depressing to be there. And this is a placed filled with children! It is all business at 116. The principal and asst. principal are both very cold. The parent coordinator is one of the most unhelpful (not to mention unfriendly) people I have ever encountered! And what's funny is, my kids now (still in nycboe) have MORE homework, but within months, they are so much happier and have experienced more as classmates and schoolmates together than they did the 4 years at 116. Involvement, participation, community, love of school all while working hard..thankfully, that is what they are learning now. I'm sorry I wasted all those years

Ps 116 Mary Lindley Murray 5

Posted November 27, 2013
My daughter is in her second year at this school and she loves it. She has excel beautifully in her writing and reading. The teachers here are wonderful and nurturing. They have great computer, science, art, and music classes as well. I don't really understand why many of the recent reviews seem to criticize the administration so much. The principal is very down to earth and is very hands on. I can tell that the students' education and security (especially after the Sandy Hook tragedy) are the principal's top priorities. The school's overcrowding situation seems to be slowly alleviated by the opening of the new public school near by and the rezoning. There is a good after school program with lots of different classes to choose from including Spanish, Mandarin, writing, cooking, soccer and yoga. Like most after school programs in other public schools, it does cost money. As for social economic background, I have not seen any incidents that would suggest that this is an issue. I feel that people tend to be overly sensitive when it comes to things like this, and I disagree that this should be used to reflect negatively on the PTA or the school.

Posted October 22, 2013
As a parent of 2 children currently enrolled in PS116 I have to agree with the newest reviews. School adminitrastion is cold, disinterested and at times rude. Social economic standards plays are huge part in how your child and your family are perceived. It sometimes feels like fundraising is the priority for this school. Teacher turnover rate is incredibly high and the ones that are still around are either stuck in their ways or fingers crossed one of the "good ones". The highlight is extracurricular activities that will cost you a pretty penny and are mostly taught by school staff. My children barely have time to eat lunch and gym or dance is given only once a week. Sadly, with each year that passes I become more disheartened with PS116.

Posted September 27, 2013
The quality of the education seems to go down each year that my 2 children attended PS116. The administration is detached, cold and disinterested. I don't know who runs this school. It made middle school seem great. Look somewhere else if you have a choice.

Ps 116 Mary Lindley Murray 5

Posted June 20, 2013
My daughter is completing her Kindergarten year at PS116 and we have been trilled with the school. As a former teacher, I really appreciate all the ways our family is included in the school. We are in her classroom for something at least once a month, we regularly receive email from the class parents list, and communication with the teacher is effortless, via email, notes, or just before/after school. The PTA is very strong and the after school classes are something I brag about on a regular basis. I just feel so lucky to have such a wonderful school in our neighborhood.

Posted May 22, 2013
My daughter is almost finished with her time at 116. The teachers have been very strong. They are the heart and soul of the school. My daughter has enjoyed her friends, felt challenged and experienced some very good relationships across the faculty. The administration is terrible though. I dislike the principal and feel that she is completely removed from the parents, save a few big fund raisers. The cut backs obviously hurt and we all chip in a great deal to provide for all the children, as parents. I like the middle school adviser. The on-site after-school is terrible as well. The woman who runs it is only focused on her profits. Most of the teachers and programs are pretty below par. The kids aren't enriched and the supervision is also lacking and leads to a lot of issues that play out in school. My daughter is on the track team and has loved that experience. The study population is mixed and is trending to less diverse as the economy continues to falter among working families.

Posted May 18, 2013
The administration is cold, unreceptive and deceptive. The principal is not nurturing and is focused only on test scores. The quality of the school has deteriorated from an A to a C since the previous principal left. This school is over crowded. There were 7 Kindergarten classes the year my child enrolled. Due to overcrowding children have little time for lunch and almost no Physical Ed. The administration has not figured out a way to demand more from the board of ed to ameliorate the situation as they are kow towing to the system - for example children barely have 15 minutes for lunch and are then herded out of the cafeteria. This school left my children nervous with low self esteem. They did not know the 50 states or presidents or geography by the time they left. If the subject cant be filled in a bubble on ELA or Math test it is not taught. Very Very high teacher turnover.

Ps 116 Mary Lindley Murray 1

Posted March 13, 2013
In this school your socio economic background has a great deal to do with your experience. From the initial process of registration I sensed and witness a strong energy of discontent towards the parents of a lower income and cultural background. The PTA is highly creative with fundraising events however some events are exclusive to parents of a certain economic class. In the event that you should raise concern in the day to day functions beware of the cold shoulders and tick for tack methods of the staff. Which also involve finding any and every error in you or your child and elaborating on it until it is an issue. Unfortunately I ve seen minority families enroll and withdraw their children from this school that expressed these same concerns but were unwilling or unable to express these feelings on a public forum such as GreatSchools. On a positive note the school has amazing resources and extracurricular activities for the children as well as an outstanding afterschool program. I hope this gives a bit of insight and helps another parent to decide if this school is a good socially balanced environment for their child.

Ps 116 Mary Lindley Murray
210 East 33rd Street, New York, NY  10016
Last modified Ps 116 Mary Lindley Murray is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 116 Mary Lindley Murray Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 76 reviews. Top