/ School Profile

Posted January 12, 2014
poor school. Principal do not know what is going on in the classroom. teachers are not certified. I had removed my child from this school and other parents too.

Posted May 24, 2013
my son went here for his kindergarten year (2011-2012) and 1st grade(2012-2013). he loves it. both k-1st grade teachers have been great, i couldnt ask for better teachers. their new principle Mr Higgins is doing a wonderful job and improving the school. the only down falls is Columbia secondary school has taken over most of the building which is taking from the elementary school students. i hope soon the school board will realize that they are destroying a great school and will also bring back funding for the after-school program

Ps 125 Ralph Bunche 3

Posted May 17, 2013
I have heard that over the years the school has declined but with the principle that we presently have Mr. Higgins I see different. This is my daughters first year in this school, she is in kindergarten. I have had some things that needed to be looked into but nothing that makes me want to take her out. The only REAL ISSUE I HAVE AND IM HOPING MR. HIGGINS SEES THIS BECAUSE I HAVE BROUGHT IT TO HIS ATTENTION BEFORE IS THE BATHROOM ISSUE. The kindergarten students are allowed to go to the bathroom in pairs but with no adult supervision. A few things have gone on in the bathroom which is not surpising for children but would not have happened if the was an adult with them. During recess an older child is permitted to take them to the bathroom. I do not agree with this because how do I know that my child is safe. Know one has any idea what is going on with these random kids at home but they are the ones chosen to be responcible for my child. Other than that I feel very good about the schol and what Mr. Higgins has planned. I will be joining the PTA for the 2013/14 to be a liaison for the parents to unsure that this school stays on the straight path and support Mr. Higgins

Posted April 17, 2012
PS 125 has a new principal, Mr.Higgins. He works so hard and the school is improving a lot.

Posted June 15, 2011
I am very dissappointed. I was very optimistic in the begining. My son was in a kindergarden class with Ms. Lafalaise and everything was great. my son was reading at a second grade reading level. There was something so loving and caring about his teacher because my son would talk about her all the time. she made a positive impact on him. In 1st grade, tha was a different story. 3 different teachers within 1 month which was very stressful. They soon brought in another teacher which was Ms. Chanowitz. She was a very nice person but she could not control the students. Everytime I would walk into the class room the children would be running around screaming. meetings were not good. My son report card was horrible. I spoke to the teacher to find out what I can do to change this. Second parents and teachers the teacher did not show up. I have spoke to the principal many times as many other parents. The principal blames the students in class when she should be blaming herself for not listening to parents and making sure there is order in the class room considering she is the one running the school. Now my child is so behind. I am definitely not coming back next year.

Posted June 03, 2011
The principal is horrible and only thinks about being friends with the students instead of having a disipline status. Also I am a parent that complained about my child's teacher. I also complaine about the children bullying my daugther. This school is a joke.

Ps 125 Ralph Bunche 4

Posted May 17, 2011
I attended numerous open houses and PTA meetings in District 3, 5, & 6 searching for the ideal school for my daughter and it looks like I found it. I am looking forward to my child attending PS 36 this fall. I have never seen a more strong, caring and involved principal as Ms Espinal, who seems to have a vested interest in the students as well as the community. The parental involvement isn't large yet, but they are making huge strides in raising other parents awareness, involvement, & funds. They are currently planting the school's garden & have already held a dance (with a huge turnout), students have baked Valentine cookies, & are planning an exciting end of year assembly with both parents & children involved. With both French & Spanish Dual language programs, a swimming pool, 2 gyms (recess daily), a theatre, and multiple playgrounds they have every thing covered. They use FOSS Science (one of the leading), Balanced Literacy, Technology Lab, and Constructivist Math program. Classes are small so children receive more individualized attention. I love the nurturing family feel of the classrooms with a wonderful true diversity of students and parents. Their partnerships are vast.

Ps 125 Ralph Bunche 4

Posted February 23, 2011
I was enrolled in this school in 1957 when I was seven years old. My teachers of that time, Miss Clark, Mrs.Marsh, Mrs McCowler(She was Nigerian)Mr.Wagner(Principal)...great people, great educators. I was a naughty, hyper little boy, but I learned quick. I loved Play day and I enjoyed the swimming pool the school had. I'll never forget her. J.T. School years: 1957-1963/4

Posted December 06, 2010
There seemingly are conflicting reports about the school which in my opinion is mainly because this school is a school in the process of change. The principal is only starting her second year here and she took the school over with many problems and virtually no parental support. In addition, the budget cuts to the schools have made it even harder for her to implement change to the level she is envisioning. Our son started Kindergarten this year and we could not be happier. All of his teachers are excellent and he is in small, diverse class The physical resources, the curriculum and facility available are great. There is now a small group of very active parents that are determined to let the school rise to its fullest potential and that is working closely with the administration. This school is blossoming from the bottom up. We have not found the other schools in the building to be a problem at all. Each school seems very self-contained.

Posted December 06, 2010
We are a new family to PS 125.Our son is in LOVE! with his teacher and the school. Class size is wonderful, only 17 in the class with children from a very diverse mix of racial ethnic backgrounds. The teacher is dedicated and experienced, with an ambitious curriculum plan including French enrichment that the kids are rising up to. They have numerous other specials, -- a wonderful science teacher, social studies and music/gym. Best of all, our son is happy and engaged every day. We have direct access to the energetic, vivacious principal . For all these reasons, I believe this school will be in great demand in no time. We did take a chance on it and make no mistake, it is a school in transition: the principal is challenged to make do with budget cuts (for example, they are still scrambling to get the beautiful pool and swimming program back online for the Spring). The PTA is a work in progress, as is the School Based Leadership team. As with all schools, parent involvement will be critical to bringing this school forward. But given how things are in District 5, you should really come to an open house and see the promise of PS 125 for yourself

Ps 125 Ralph Bunche
425 West 123rd Street, New York, NY  10027
Last modified Ps 125 Ralph Bunche is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 125 Ralph Bunche Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top