Posted April 17, 2014
I taught at P'S 126 for many years. It is one of the most thriving schools for ongoing professional study. The teachers along with administration truly study their craft of teaching knowing that students deserve the very best in progressive thinking around methods and content of teaching.

Posted August 25, 2013
My son had a great experience at MAT both in class and in his extracurricular sports activities. He is well prepared for high school and did very well on standardized tests and the SHSAT. He made wonderful friends throughout his years at MAT!!

Posted August 23, 2013
This school is an amazing warm community. The principal (Jacqui Getz) and her team of teachers are engaged, supportive, challenge each student and really make a difference. The music, arts and of course sports are also an incredible benefit for this well rounded school. This school has improved greatly over time and under Principal Getz's leadership, it will go even farther. As a member of the SLT I know she and the team are making a difference and putting students FIRST.

Posted June 12, 2012
In this school, the teachers are nice and they are 100% able to pass down their talents to their students. The sports there are fun and the sports teachers also teaches it really well to upgrade their skills. When i went here i noticed that all my subject have been upgraded a lot too and it just sound terrific! I love ps126!

Posted June 08, 2012
MAT has a very engaged teaching staff who make the most of their resources. The sports program is absolutely stunning. Math is very strong, ELA quite good. I wish that there were more investment in science education, but that speaks more to the NYS curriculum, than to the MAT teachers. Academically and athletically - very strong. In terms of the arts, there is a very good music program, and an art teacher who may have to struggle for funding, but is very passionate and dedicated. At times, I think that there could be stronger supervision of the kids - at recess and in after-school programs. Middle school kids can get pretty wild, pretty quickly. All in all, this has been a wonderful school for my daughter.

Posted June 06, 2012
My old alma mater. I remember the engaged and motivated teachers that encouraged me to learn and made learning fun. Also the ESL classes that help my non-English speaking classmates pick up the langauge.

Ps 126 Jacob August Riis 1

Posted December 12, 2011
i hate this school!!! everyday when i come to school i see someone from my science class smoking outside. i am not going to name names but the school dosent even notice it!!!! the sports program isnt tha great. i did soccer and it wasnt fun!!! sorry but im just telling the truth.

Posted November 30, 2009
Hi, I just met with my sons teachers, at my parent-teacher conference and I it was a pleasure meeting my sons teachers. I can honesly say that his teachers really know him, they know what he's capable of doing. I love the school as well as my son does. I really was impressed with my sons teachers. I wish that my sons old elementary school was as good as this school.

Posted November 16, 2009
Just came back from parent teacher conference night for the third time in our year, 3 months at M.A.T. Unquestionably, the teachers at the school are knowledgeable and passionate about teaching middler schoolers. There is a beating, thumping heart to the place that makes you glad your kid, going through such a time of life, has such a fitting place to experience it.

Posted May 28, 2009
Our son has been very happy at MAT. It's what we like to call a 'normal middle school' -- meaning it has it all: young, upbeat teachers, challenging school work, great kids, newer clean environment, wonderful sports and art programs, etc. The Technology moniker should be dropped as it is not a technology-based school. In fact, most feel that technology is a missing link in the curriculum lineup. A big downside is communications -- we often hear about things after the fact OR just before the fact - very frustrating as it makes planning difficult. Minor adjustments such as a monthly school newsletter or class parents would make a huge difference in this communications problem. Overall and to date, it's been a very positive experience for our son!

Ps 126 Jacob August Riis
80 Catherine St, New York, NY  10038
Last modified Ps 126 Jacob August Riis is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 126 Jacob August Riis Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top