/ School Profile

Posted April 08, 2014
If security were not aware next time tell them because I am sure they would have taken care of you. They are constantly helping and aiding if necessary all over the school, at all times, on all floors.

Posted April 08, 2014
My school is awesome! This school always teaches me new things that prepare me for the State Test. This school always do their best to help students do their best and it helped me a lot. This school also gets me prepared for the next grade

Posted August 22, 2013
My school is a wonderful place for your child. You will not find a more committed team to share with you in the education of your child.

Posted July 27, 2013
I, and my family attended ps.129 over 50 years ago. When I think about my childhood, and the memories I often think about how this school has changed from what I remember, I was one of six Gilmartin children that attended ps.129 from 1961-1968. I wish I had School pictures to share with our grandchildren, over the years our school pictures got lost along the way, I don't know how to rate 129 now, but 50 years ago it was one of the best. At that time the school was from k-6th grade.

Ps 129 John H Finley 4

Posted June 04, 2013
The kids have nothing to do with the quality of the school. I was leary about sending my son and daughter here because of the test results. My sons pre-k class learned so much from the teacher Ms. Kelly this year. I really have no complaints. The mornings are a bit chaotic because you have small kids and the older kids all coming in, in the morning. I wish the test results would improve for this school. I dont plan of having them stay here past 1st grade though as I will be moving out of the neighborhood soon.

Posted July 26, 2011
I hate this school. Worst school you can ever be in. As a graduated student, I have to say this was the worst out of all the schools I've been in the past. Teachers never have control of the students. They literally pick the "good kids" and don't pay any mind to the others. I was scared of going inside, everyday. I hardly learned anything and they gave homework like we knew what we learned. The children act out-of-control and no one cares. Period.

Posted July 18, 2011
The neighborhood dreads the afternoon release of these students from school. They are out-of-control, belligerent, and destructive. They have no respect for adult authority, none whatsoever. I have witnessed a group smear an entire Entenmann's boxed cake over buildings, nearby cars, and the sidewalk. No one stopped them, because although they are children, and past attempts to intervene have not been successful. If reprimanded, the children WILL challenge the source, and with all kinds of bad language and threats. I also witnessed several cases of street harassment, including one visited on a female pedestrian by a group of three girls - who had been locked out of the store. The corner store locks their door when they come by. The girls ridiculed her clothing and made fun of her, even more shocking when one considers that the woman was clearly an adult and a professional, judging by her dress. The comment below on out-of-control students is accurate. Who supervises this ? Is it really the job of teachers to be the primary disciplinary element ? These children will be released from school eventually, and who will monitor them then ?

Posted July 17, 2011
When I went to 129 years ago it was a very good school. My greatest memories of school were from there, however, recently I have been looking into schools for my 5 years old and I am extremely unimpressed with 129. The Parent Coordinator is the absolute worst. I'm still waiting for return phone calls so I can tour the school and answers to my registration questions. Other parents I know said they were pulling their kids out of this school and I thought that was strange until I tried to get some information and got attitude from the receptionist. I live across the street from 129 and I'm sending my child to another school because if this is how you treat a potential parent, I don t even want to imagine how you treat your students.

Posted March 12, 2011
This is by far the worst school i have ever been to. Teachers cannot control their classes, therefore the students are failing, and the children there run rampid! I cant wait to get out of this school. who would send there child to a school where the child would be scared to go inside? It's extremely stressful and hard for me to learn since the classroom is noisy and dangerous. a child cannot be expected to learn in a environment where the kids are cursing the teachers out, fighting one another, and throwing HEAVY HARD COVER spanish books and social study books at people. The security guards just sit on the bottom floor worrying about people showing them their ID cards when they first walk in, when they should be on the 3rd floor while a girl is getting shoved and locked in the boys bathroom! The children do not care if there are cameras. they have no home training or respect. so im gladly rating this school as unsatisfactory. love, a current student.

Ps 129 John H Finley 4

Posted February 25, 2010
This school is amazing..... yea sometimes there might be problems but no ones perfect.

Ps 129 John H Finley
425 West 130th Street, New York, NY  10027
Last modified Ps 129 John H Finley is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 129 John H Finley Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top