/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted April 30, 2015
PS130 is an excellent school. My child transferred to PS130 from a very well regarded public school and we have been very impressed by how advanced the work my child is doing. The staff/teachers care tremendously about the students and really try to do what is best for them. Great sense of community as well. As for the PA, their aggressiveness in fundraising is actually a positive for the school. Given reduced DOE funding, donation is an important to maintain the school's programs for the kids (e.g. Arts, Dance etc.) for our kids to have a balanced education. Also, I don't think they are particularly aggressive relative to the PAs other top ranked public schools in NYC. They just have to work harder to get donations given the relative demographics at PS 130. PAs at a lot of schools suggest donation for each child of >$1,000. PS130 doesn't do that. They are very clear that all donations are great, no matter how big or how small. Ultimately, they are raising money for the benefit of our children. I would much rather have a PA that cares and is aggressive in raising money for the school, than the school not having the money to run programs for our kids.

Ps 130 Hernando De Soto 2

Posted April 27, 2015
We just registered our kid. My friends told me the principle, assistant principle and the teachers at PS130 are excellent. But they also warned about some people in the school PTA love to gossiping. I saw some PTA member stand out side of the school forced parents to buy raffle tickets and make donations. The lady even pressing new parents to buy raffle tickets inside the registration room. Just too aggressive and demanding. As a new parent to the school this just make me felt very uncomfortable.

Posted June 06, 2014
My kids is current in the g&t kindergarden class. I like this school so much, my kid improved a lot during her first year study. Ms. Paternoster is a very fresh and passionate teacher in her class.

Posted March 31, 2014
This school has brought great memories with teachers and students. Everyone works hard for each other including teachers and students

Ps 130 Hernando De Soto 4

Posted March 27, 2014
I agree the other parent, this is a great school but I think the PA really has a problem, I wonder if I can report them to the DOE.

Ps 130 Hernando De Soto 2

Posted March 26, 2014
My kid was in this school since pre-k. The leadership of Mrs. Woo our principal, is very wonderful! Even our assistant principle Ms. Chin too. No words can describe to both of them for taking care & educating our children. But there's an issue that needed attention. The Parent Association (PA) group are way too much into gossiping. For donations, they are too aggressive & demanding. Pressing the student to come home & asked their parents for donation. My child told me that I must give a donation. If not, my child will not want to attend school saying that the PA would asked again. Not good for the school images. They are not protecting the kids but only hurting them by giving them stress. Another of my child went to another school which do not have this problems. My child is leaving this school soon moving on to middle school. Hopefully, all this won't happen in another school.

Posted August 28, 2013
P.S. 130 Hernando De Soto is a very good school. They use different methods to educate and guide the students so that students at different angles to improve and grow in progress. My children are educated in this school. They are In teaching, research, management, service and other aspects of work have made gratifying achievements. In here, I am specially to to thank Mrs. Chow and Mrs. Zhong, also are giving them teaching highly prominent position. They are hard-working with students to express my heartfelt thanks. I had very painful time from my family last few months that I can t take care my son at this moment. They were sending me a hand and took all responsibility from her time to stay to help and care my son until end of school. They are exposure to teaching on campus, to further improve the academic status and competitiveness. I am to them a pay tribute. I hope they continue to join hands, a mission to forge ahead, create brilliant! Thanks

Posted August 25, 2013
I don't have much to say in regards to the school administration, but as an alumni, I believe that the education I received here was truly wonderful. I recently graduated from college and will be attending graduate school soon. As I reflect back, I cannot help but think about where it all started. The teachers here were amazing and I learned a lot from them. Mr. Deaton was my favorite. I still remember things about the World Wars and the Native Americans because of him. He also let students take care of the classroom's flowers and pets. During high school, I came back to volunteer briefly. The children were cute, bright, and well-mannered for the most part. I don't know about now, but back in the day (10+ years ago), there were after-school programs, "summer camp", dance classes for 4th and 5th graders, educational field trips to Philadelphia and Amish country, and a snack program the 5th graders were in charge of to raise money for the overnight graduation trip. Thank you, P.S.130, for giving me and many others so many unforgettable experiences.

Posted May 01, 2013
My kids are in the G&T program and get an amazing education. It's a school that cares about their academic success and nurtures their social and emotional well-being. I have nothing but high praise for their teachers and for the wonderful leadership under Mrs. Lily Woo. Her philosophy of academic excellence, coupled with a rich art, dance, and music program, is what makes P.S. 130 one of the best schools in District 2. There s nothing more satisfying than seeing my first grader tell me about the fascinating things he learned in Ms. Chan s class. She instills a love of learning that only a great teacher can do. She also has a knack for sparking curiosity and getting their minds to think critically. My second grader writes beautifully. This is because Mrs. McConnell pushes her to think outside the box and to be a fearless writer. Ms. Chan s Muffin Club restored my son's confidence by raising his reading level and teaching him the proper mechanics of writing. Mrs. McConnell helped our daughter overcome her loathing of math, and she now she enjoys solving complex equations. Ms. Cho managed to get my kindergarteners reading chapter books within three months. Bullying is not tolerated.

Posted April 29, 2013
My child is in the G&T program at PS 130 and we feel fortunate to be part of this strong program. This is a program with special teachers, a special principal and they care about all students and the school. These children are getting an excellent education and a strong foundation. Starting with Ms. Cho who helps them learn how navigate kindergarten then on to Ms. Chan who is the most organized and passionate teacher who passes that passion for learning on to the students. Ms. Woo is the one who guides the whole school with safety, caring and the best interest of all the children at heart all of them G&T and Gen Ed. There are programs, languages, arts, recess, performances that will make you laugh and cry, Graduations through to 5th grade and Mr. Siu. There is a community where parents participate. If you look at the reviews I think you will see a string of 5 stars... and sometimes there is not a fit. You can look for negative anywhere. There is no such thing as perfect. It is what you make it. How you choose to make it better. This is an amazing launch pad with passionate teachers and a principal who are there to give your children the wings to fly. You have to help them fly too.

Ps 130 Hernando De Soto
143 Baxter Street, New York, NY  10013
Last modified Ps 130 Hernando De Soto is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 130 Hernando De Soto Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top