/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted April 03, 2013
I have two boys attending this school and must say that I'm really happy with the school. The Parent Coordinator is a huge asset to the school and is so warm. Who wouldn't want that? Upon entering the school each morning, you are greeted. How awesome is that! The teachers are nice and really care. The Principal is kind hearted but can sometimes be too laid back. There's a specific woman in the main office that just has no people skills whatsoever. She is obnoxious and straight out disrespectful to the parents. Since I'm not allowed to state specific names in this review, I'll just say that she's the individual who takes care of the teachers payroll. So, be warned. Putting that aside, I'd recommend this school to all.

Posted June 09, 2012
This is near the end of my daughter's first year of school Pre-K at PS 142. What a wonderful year it has been! My daughter adores her teachers and school and feels very comfortable. The office staff and principle are very friendly, and always available to answer your questions or concerns. MY daughter has learned so much this year and I am speaking not only as a parent but as a teacher myself. I chose this program for her after seeing many other Pre-K programs with my own eyes. We were lucky enough to have the kindest and most dedicated Pre K teacher this year who helped my daughter overcome her shyness and recognize her talents. My daughter is currently reading books independently. Yes. My daughter is reading books, BY HERSELF, at 4 years old. I couldn't be more appreciative of the teachers and staff at this great school.

Posted March 15, 2012
From the minute I walk in I felt at home, between Jacky the parent teacher coordinator and Ms. Levy the principal I only have great things to say, they are both very involve and show so much support to the parents and students, the teachers are amazing and make sure my kids are up to school standars in everything..

Ps 142 Amalia Castro 3

Posted September 12, 2011
this is my son's frist day in ps142 and so far he feels very comfortable in his classroom and with his teacher ,I meet her she very nice and some of the staff as well ....for me and my son is a big change from ps137 that didn't do the right thing or should i say the principals and the parent coordiator didn't do their jod!! not very nice people if your thinking about registering your child there please don't go and register at ps134 because when i needed help they was their for me wow now that is saying alot about the kind of people in ps134...well wishing everyone a wonderful school year :)

Posted April 28, 2010
I am a parent of the children, they all went to P.S. 142. I beleive this school is a 'Great' school. The school has improved a lot since Mrs Levy has been Principal, making sure the teachers go to trainings to learn new ways of teaching our children. At P.S. 142 you feel like a family, always welcomed. The Parent Coordinator, Monique Benitez is the BEST she is always available, i have called her at night and she always answers, she always informs the parents of upcoming events and community events, and is always willing and able to help anyone. But just all families, some times there is minor problems, but are always resolved. You can send your child to P.S. 142. Your child will be safe and will be in good hands! Just visit the school any time, they have an open door policy, or contact Parent Coordinator (347) 563-4497

Ps 142 Amalia Castro

Posted February 12, 2010
I agree with the review about being hispanic. I also felt dicriminated every time there was a problem with my child. There is about two out of ten great teachers in the school. The administration is very dis organized, and I truly think that this school really needs to be investigated. No, do not send your child to this school, as a caring parent for your child, it would be the biggest mistake a parent could ever make.
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 07, 2009
My son has been going to this school since pre-k when Principal, Ronda Levy was a Parent Coordinator. She has improve this school tremendously. She has kept the children safe and has prepared the children to succeed in their futures. PS142 is a second family to my son and I. Our children is in someone elses care and trust for about seven hours. PS142 is the school you can trust your child to be in.

Ps 142 Amalia Castro 4

Posted June 30, 2008
I give it 3 stars because the head admin is excellent in the needs of the children and parents.

Posted September 19, 2006
My son is in the Pre-K program at PS142. At first, this school did not impress me as I walk in to the office. New school year has finally stared. My son has been placed to one of the two Pre-K classes. The class room is so big with all nice decoration. There are two teachers and two teachers assistants in my son's class with only 18 kids. The teachers and teacher aids are all so nice, and kind. We see all of them in the class room early as 8:00AM almost every day to help the children to eat their breakfast. The school also provides a free after school program which runs from 2:45PM to 5:45PM at school which provides a very fun and safe environment for my son who is just 3 years old to stay, and enable me to work at the normal full time working hours. My son is so happy with the teachers, and loves the dancing teacher. I was so surprise that he has never cry once, or reject to go the school ever since he attend the PS142. I am so glad that I have made the right decision to send my son to PS142. My son used to attend at few private Daycare. None of them were comparable to this school. I do not think there is any other school better than this school for the Pre-K program. A class of 4 adults with 18 kids! Where could you find a school like this one? I am highly recommending that you should look in to this school. PS142 has the best pre-K program that I have ever know.

Ps 142 Amalia Castro 1

Posted April 22, 2006
I agree with and appreciate the other 3 reviews. They are right on target. I worked at this school for twenty years. I chose to leave because of the blatant lack of competence and integrity of the 'leadership,' those qualities so important to moving children, students, teachers, etc. forward and so short in supply. There was, however, a very inspiring music teacher there and connections with excellent arts and other organizations, like Third Street Music School and Educational Alliance.

Ps 142 Amalia Castro
100 Attorney Street, New York, NY  10002
Last modified Ps 142 Amalia Castro is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 142 Amalia Castro Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top