/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted December 11, 2014
This is my child first year in the G&T program at PSMS165 and can only have words of gratitude to the staff and specially to the teacher. We were concern at the beginning because of the struggles my child was having in General Ed in previous schools. However, we have found a loving and caring environment and an outstanding teacher. I do not have any experience with the general education but for the G and T program PSMS165 is fabulous.

Ps 165 Robert E Simon 1

Posted November 14, 2014
If your child is an average student who tends to need extra help with instructions, it's a horrible choice. Many of the general ED students are falling through the cracks. There are simply too many students in each class, 30-31. This makes it impossible for the teachers to provide ANY kind of personalized attention. With the new Common Core state test the teachers are even more frustrated, because they are just learning themselves,. But the horrible part is that they blame all the lack of understanding on your child, rather than helping them. My child and many others are falling through the cracks, and it's killing me. If we had more teachers in these big general education classrooms it would probably be a different ball game. They also need to hire more new, qualified teachers who have patience. Many of the older teachers are just too tired, and run on auto pilot. Pre-K to 2nd grade classes are descent, but from 3rd grade up it's haywire from there. However, If your child is a very smart student this school may be good for him/her, considering they have a Gifted & Talented program. But then again, very smart kids may strive in most schools.

Ps 165 Robert E Simon 4

Posted November 30, 2012
This is our 2nd year in the school - Kindergarten and 1st grade. We are very happy with the teachers who have been teaching/working with our child. Lines of communication remain open throughout the year. Memos,notes, emails, class websites, phone calls etc are all frequently used to share info with parents. They are welcoming to ideas, suggestions, and open to discussing any concerns the parents have in regards to the kids or overall classroom environment. The classrooms are bright, colorful and stimulating and inviting. In our class, the parents are all very involved and help whenever possible, whether it be chaperoning field trips, story time in the classroom or volunteering at bake sales, book fairs, etc. We also communicate with each other to keep everyone up to date on what's happening in the class and the school Your child's success in this (or any school) is largely dependent on the administration, teachers and parent involvement. Overall, PS 165 is a great school, as is the neighborhood and community. Our child is well adjusted, learning a great deal and overall very happy in this school. We are thrilled with her teachers and are happy we chose this school.

Posted November 16, 2012
hi,,i used to study in this school 13 years ago.. in class 4 and mrs hoffman was my teachers name if anyone could give me any contact like phone number or email id i would appreciate it

Ps 165 Robert E Simon 3

Posted March 03, 2012
There is a 5th grade teacher named Morales-- if you think this might be the same teacher, you could sent a note to the school or stop by the office sand leave a note. Good luck!

Posted March 02, 2012
im looking for my teacher at 165 public school..her name was Ms.Morales..please help me to find her..i miss her soo much(

Posted October 14, 2011
PS/MS 165 is undergoing an incredible transformation of quality education supported by a refreshing educational staff determined to achieve academic excellence for our children. This is largely owed to the uncanny leadership of Brett Gallini, the school s principal. Through hands-on involvement and encouragement of collaborative work between teachers and parents, he demonstrates his commitment to our children s success and holds his staff accountable to it. My child was performing under average and in one semester we have seen his grades rise to the upper nineties and the lowest grades are now in the mid-eighties. Teachers are available to assist children in their learning endeavors as they make themselves available before or after classes. Facts speak more than words, but in order to obtain these results the school needed a visionary who believes in children and understands the importance of a strong educational network to support them. I have no doubt that this will shortly be one of the most sought out public school in the Upper West Side. Parent

Posted February 04, 2011
I've been a PS 165 parent for over six years. I understand the frustrations of parents in the Columbia neighborhood. Private school is too expensive and all parents are told is the better schools are in the southern part of this school district but you have to either a) live there, b) test in, or c) be willing to sit on a long waiting list. It must be noted that the key components contributing to academic success are; 1) a working and effective administration, 2) dedicated and talented teachers and staff, and 3) children with parents who are involved, invested, and supportive. My children have been successful academically and socially at 165. My oldest is in the Delta program at MS54 and she came from 165. We already have an amazing principal and very dedicated and talented teachers and staff. We just need more parents who understand the value of education to help us set an example at our school so that other parents will follow suit.

Ps 165 Robert E Simon 3

Posted January 21, 2011
Our son spent two months in this school and then switched to a nearby Catholic school. His teacher was excellent. The atmosphere and discipline in the classroom were excellent. However, outside the classroom things are very different: discipline is lacking (one time our son was punched by another pupil and we didn't even get a phone call about this, we found out from him at the end of the day. At least twice in this two month period I witnessed fights between older children from the middle school in the same building which required adults restraining the participants. The administration is distant and unresponsive.

Ps 165 Robert E Simon 0

Posted October 18, 2010
i like this school because they work very hard with our children education.the bilingual program is excelent.

Ps 165 Robert E Simon
234 West 109th Street, New York, NY  10025
Last modified Ps 165 Robert E Simon is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 165 Robert E Simon Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top