/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted August 17, 2014
So far we are quite happy with this school. My daughter has only been in the school for a year, so I don't have much to say yet.

Ps 166 The Richard Rogers School Of The Arts And S 2

Posted August 11, 2014
The school staff is racist! They dont give the kids that are struggling the help they need. They inform the parents late and they dont provide any solution on what can you do to get your child the help needed. My son fell behind because he did not get the assistance he needed. The school informed me later during the year. I had to do my own reasearch on what I should do and what resources can I use to get thehlp needed. Its a shame that Outside tutors helped my child and the school did not. Also these gifted and talented jids should get retested yearly. Also the principle is always in a meeting and bever available for parents concerns.

Posted April 29, 2014
We are very happy with P.S 166. The teachers and staff are wonderful and responsive and we have been really impressed with the curriculuum and standards. Any issues we have are dealt with in a responsive way and our son has thrived in his two years here

Posted January 22, 2014
We are extremely please with our daughter's teacher this year in the 4th grade G & T program. She works hard and is connected with the parents. However, the overall building morale seems to suffer- perhaps due to the stressors of the administration? None the less - Mrs "L" is great and challenges our daughter in a supportive and kind manner.

Ps 166 The Richard Rogers School Of The Arts And S 2

Posted October 24, 2013
This school USED to be agreat place and a wonderful environment, but in the past 2 years it has gone downhill. Low morale among staff, discipline problems have increased and the general atmosphere of the school has declined! Not a pleasant place!

Posted August 04, 2013
One's experience at P.S. 166 is largely dependent on the quality of the classroom teacher. There are many excellent and committed teachers at P.S. 166, but there are also ones who are terrible. Be very involved and watchful, and contact the parent coordinator and principal at the first sign of trouble. Overall, our experience has been very positive. Our children have been at PS 166 since 2009. Since then we're on our fourth principal, our second assistant principal, and the common core standards have everyone scrambling to catch up. The emphasis on the state tests is really marked, especially in the upper grades. They really drill the kids, and then once the tests are over, it's as if everyone is just running out the clock to the end of the year. I found this troubling. The parent coordinator is excellent and does a great job. Overall, we've been very happy with the school and I would recommend it. As a parent, you really need to be involved and watchful to ensure your child gets the best experience possible.

Posted March 27, 2012
I wish it was K-1! I have 2 in G&T. We have had a home at PS166 for 6yrs. We came from a private school(Clarement) and many parents from that pre-school took advantage of the G&T program at PS 166 as well. My children were challenged in a nurturing environment. The highly involved faculty, PTA and other parent involvement was key. I have always felt welcomed in the classroom and would stop in often to drop off projects or participate in a class event (e.g., book publishing party or science fair). The hallways are silent during class time and the kids are relaxed and happy. All of the students were highly motivated and academically competative. The Chess Team is the #1 extracurricular activity regarding participation and competative performance but they also have a great theatre program as well as a track team. The afterschool enrichment is also great bargain with reasonable fees for classes such as Lego Robotics, Cooking, Private Piano lessons, Ping Pong, Math Games, etc.). They are also a "green" school. They have a new reading garden and discussions of a new playgound are happening now. An upgrade in the technology department would be nice. I highly recommend PS166.

Posted July 27, 2011
I am a P.S.166 Graduate. During my 6 years at this school, all of my teachers were wonderful! I feel that I learned a lot at 166. I love all that they had to offer. While I was there, they offered Music Class, Physical Education, Dance Class, Computer, and Art. I was also in Honors Chorus. I was very pleased with my education when I graduated. The teachers that I had were GREAT educators. In 3rd grade, I received a 4 in my NY State Math test, an average is a 3. I hope nothing in P.S.166 has changed!

Posted March 30, 2010
As a parent, I'm a bit shocked that Principal Hand and the teachers received only four stars. It's staggering how professional, kind, and excellent these two categories are.Without the Principal's leadership, the other four categories five stars wouldn't be here.

Ps 166 The Richard Rogers School Of The Arts And S 0

Posted March 29, 2010
Excellent school. I am a substitute teacher at the school and always feel welcome here.

Ps 166 The Richard Rogers School Of The Arts And S
132 West 89th Street, New York, NY  10024
Last modified Ps 166 The Richard Rogers School Of The Arts And S is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 166 The Richard Rogers School Of The Arts And S Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 63 reviews. Top