Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted January 12, 2016
My 2 children attend PS/IS 171. They both have been attending this school since Pre-Kindergarten. My husband and I have been extremely grateful for the teachers, support staff and leadership at 171. In my opinion, 171 has continuously strived to improve teacher pedagogy, implement cutting edge technology and strive for excellence on a yearly basis, never settling on past years accomplishments. The teachers have gone above and beyond the call of duty & continue to give of themselves by extending themselves to my children not only during school but after school, during school breaks & summer vacations. The teachers at 171 work endless hours to help make 171 achieve their goals. The success of 171 stands on the shoulders, sweat & tears of all the teachers that walk through the doors as early as 5:30am and walk out of the doors as late as 7:00pm. 171 is a light in the community that continues to shine & expose the potential of the students who walk through the doors. It is the teachers, leadership & support staff of 171 that make up this shining light. The students who graduate from 171 are capable, prepared, and well equipped to achieve their dreams, hopes and aspirations.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted January 07, 2016
PS 171 brings backs so many great memories from when I was a child, I'm glad that my daughter is attending is school.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted December 11, 2015
Really, I'd like to extend my thanks to EVERYONE at 171. Every staff member, janitor, teacher, student, etc. I don't think I'll ever forget these peoples names and I don't want to. Mr.Pantelidis (the principal) clearly makes wise decisions in choosing his staff, because every member of the 171 family that has come through those doors have made it obvious that they are there to work and to change the lives of students for the better. I don't mean to leave anyone out, but these are the people to whom I have been more closely connected with (simply because of them being my teacher or other circumstances) Mr. Panteledis Ms. Zararis Ms. Rojas Ms. Irias Mr. Durant Mr. Powell Mr. Martino Ms. Rodriguez Mr. Merritt Ms. Greyez Ms. Sanderson Ms. Lucy AND EVERYONE ELSE ILY

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted December 11, 2015
I have developed relationships with teachers at this school that is often hard to reach in other schools. The teachers do their best to be as personal with a student as they need to be in order to make the classroom environment more comfortable and understanding for the student's needs. They also make it clear that their rooms are always open (unless they're in those annoying but relevant faculty meetings) for one-on-one tutoring or if they just need someone to talk to.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted December 11, 2015
It was not until 8th grade that I truly felt the pressure of homework, but even then, it was a good amount! The teachers work very well and talk to each other, creating a variety of plans, ranging from collaborative studies (as in, combining subjects to work towards one project) to simply not giving us homework because they understand the time we would need for another assignment.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted December 11, 2015
Year to year, each teacher I had drilled us with work. This is not to say we were put under extreme conditions, but rather, we walked into the school day KNOWING that we had work to get to in the most fun ways. The student I am today is due to the fact that we were always being pushed to do our best-and more. We were expected to set our own limits and push them with the help of our teachers, making us determined to do so.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted December 11, 2015
One thing I can really say I remember is that the staff, and even the students themselves, enforced an acception of debate while still remaining true to one's self and respecting the opinions of others. A free space was open to those who were willing and those who were knew well enough to not take advantage of it and disrespect others.

Posted December 11, 2015
As a sophomore student in high school, it becomes clearer and clearer to me each day that my experience at this school was worthwhile. I spent my whole life at this school and gained knowledge that still guides me today, in and out of academics. There was always this idea being spread in all aspects of the day at school that supported a right vs. wrong argument-which helps me and others in decision making today.

Posted June 25, 2014
As the school year comes to an end, I would like to say how grateful I am as a parent to have my children attend this OUTSTANDING school! The teachers are extremely dedicated in helping their students achieve. It is evident that they care. The parent coordinator, Ms. Spears is ALWAYS available to help & assist in any way that she can! Ms. Spears has a way of reassuring us as parents that our children are safe & in good hands when we drop them off. That's extremely comforting to know making it easier to start our day. Ms. Spears has a great rapport w/ many parents & many of us greatly depend on her for our children. Thank you for never getting tired of giving of yourself & endless days of waiting until the last student is picked up. We recognize your commitment, love & support to our children & parents. PS/IS 171 is so fortunate to have you! I hope everyone has a restful & enjoyable summer!! See you in September!

Ps 171 Patrick Henry 3

Posted June 20, 2014
Try speaking with the "hands on principal" and you are quickly redirected to the guidance counselors or the A.P.'s. Don't get me wrong they are lovely people , especially Mr. Martinez , but it is interesting how selective the principal Mr. Pantelidis could be when you call , not to praise and compliment but asked the your child's rights be respected. Middle School selection is basically a "Charter School type" admissions at this school. Even when you follow the Chancellor's Regulations and do everything by the book,you still get the run around and are mislead. Public Education should be available to all, not just those that are pleasing to some principals. Will continue to try to get a meeting with the ever elusive Mr. Pantelidis. Will be doing it with my son so that he could explain why he tried to mislead us regarding rankings and returning 5th graders. Great school academically but boy do you have to be proactive and assertive to get what is rightfully yours! Mr. Pantelidis once told me that the beauty of being a principal is that you run your school your way. My response to that is that ''PARENT AND STUDENTS'" RIGHTS OVER RIDE YOU "EXECUTIVE DECISIONS" AS PER DOE REG"!

19 East 103rd Street, New York, NY  10029
Last modified Ps 171 Patrick Henry is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 171 Patrick Henry Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top