Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

I attended an open house with my sons current school PS 83. The open house at Patrick Henry was for incoming 6 graders. The principle Mr. Pantelidis is an amazing principal for what I saw and what he demonstrated. He was very welcoming and greeted all staff, children and parents. He has a very good relationship with his staff, children and their parents. His dedication for his students is like no other. The emphasis and dedication he places on how to run his school is surpassed. I hope to have the opportunity for my son to attend such a well ran school.

I have been a PS 171 parent for many years now. My oldest daughter, now with a masters was in middle school when Mr. Pantelidis came in as an assistant principal and now he is the principal. To see how the school continues to grow is an amazing thing. Mr. Pantelidis along with all its staff have devoted themselves to making PS 171 a school to be proud of. My children have always been treated with respect. The teachers are exceptional. They provide every opportunity for children to succeed; giving of their own time to provide extra help or with resources that parents can use. Early grade teachers such as Mrs. Hamed are nurturing and have high expectations for academics; Instilling a love for learning and a passion for reading. Children learn about college early on. In middle school students are provided with the tools required to be able to enter any of the top NYC high schools. Example: Mr. Durant; our music teacher gives of his time to help students achieve their goals. He is at the school early in the morning and remains past school hours to help children prepare for auditions and tests. At PS 171 students receive a first -rate education.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Home work is important; it reinforces the learning children do throughout the day.

The Principal and Teachers at P.S. 171 are active in our students lives, going the extra mile to assist where they can. Mr. Pantelidis is an amazing principal, he knows every individual child by name, which shows his determination to relating with them on an individual basis. Thank you for caring so very much about your students. Ms. Norelli is the BEST kindergarten teacher, in three years I have never seen a frown on her face, she welcomes every student each morning with such warmth. And Mr. Durant sees the greatness in students that cannot be seen through academics. He pushes them to reach their dreams and for that I am most grateful, as it has helped my daughter to grow mentally and emotionally.

My 2 children attend PS/IS 171. They both have been attending this school since Pre-Kindergarten. My husband and I have been extremely grateful for the teachers, support staff and leadership at 171. In my opinion, 171 has continuously strived to improve teacher pedagogy, implement cutting edge technology and strive for excellence on a yearly basis, never settling on past years accomplishments. The teachers have gone above and beyond the call of duty & continue to give of themselves by extending themselves to my children not only during school but after school, during school breaks & summer vacations. The teachers at 171 work endless hours to help make 171 achieve their goals. The success of 171 stands on the shoulders, sweat & tears of all the teachers that walk through the doors as early as 5:30am and walk out of the doors as late as 7:00pm. 171 is a light in the community that continues to shine & expose the potential of the students who walk through the doors. It is the teachers, leadership & support staff of 171 that make up this shining light. The students who graduate from 171 are capable, prepared, and well equipped to achieve their dreams, hopes and aspirations.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

PS 171 brings backs so many great memories from when I was a child, I'm glad that my daughter is attending is school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I have developed relationships with teachers at this school that is often hard to reach in other schools. The teachers do their best to be as personal with a student as they need to be in order to make the classroom environment more comfortable and understanding for the student's needs. They also make it clear that their rooms are always open (unless they're in those annoying but relevant faculty meetings) for one-on-one tutoring or if they just need someone to talk to.

Amount of homework: Agree

It was not until 8th grade that I truly felt the pressure of homework, but even then, it was a good amount! The teachers work very well and talk to each other, creating a variety of plans, ranging from collaborative studies (as in, combining subjects to work towards one project) to simply not giving us homework because they understand the time we would need for another assignment.

As a sophomore student in high school, it becomes clearer and clearer to me each day that my experience at this school was worthwhile. I spent my whole life at this school and gained knowledge that still guides me today, in and out of academics. There was always this idea being spread in all aspects of the day at school that supported a right vs. wrong argument-which helps me and others in decision making today.

As the school year comes to an end, I would like to say how grateful I am as a parent to have my children attend this OUTSTANDING school! The teachers are extremely dedicated in helping their students achieve. It is evident that they care. The parent coordinator, Ms. Spears is ALWAYS available to help & assist in any way that she can! Ms. Spears has a way of reassuring us as parents that our children are safe & in good hands when we drop them off. That's extremely comforting to know making it easier to start our day. Ms. Spears has a great rapport w/ many parents & many of us greatly depend on her for our children. Thank you for never getting tired of giving of yourself & endless days of waiting until the last student is picked up. We recognize your commitment, love & support to our children & parents. PS/IS 171 is so fortunate to have you! I hope everyone has a restful & enjoyable summer!! See you in September!

Last modified Ps 171 Patrick Henry is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.