/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted May 19, 2015
At first I was concerned about the size of the school and the number of classes, having moved my son from a much smaller school. But my fears were unfounded as it still feels like a tight community within each class. I have been so impressed by the breadth of learning, the range of activities and the progress that my son has made throughout his Kindergarten year. My experience has been that the teachers are successsful at tailoring lessons to the needs of each child which is especially necessary in Kindergarten as all children come in at different points in their development. My son loves his school, enjoys going to school each day and has learned so much more than I could have expected. PS 183 is a real gem.

Posted April 29, 2015
I heartily disgree with the last rater. We have had a very good experience with PS 183 all through the grades, culminating with an acceptance into a highly selective middle school. I attribute this result in part to the principal, Tara, who is an effective leader, one who is not swayed by parental whims but rather the long term aims of providing a great education for our two children. I feel that her rising above some of the petty disputes only solidifies my support for her as she has shown that she has the primary interest of the students, and thereby the parents at heart. I have found that PS 183 has provided a wholistic education that has infused the arts into every program yet has resulted in children who happen to be quite mathematically gifted (not by accident but by purpose). The level of community that has been built in the space of a few short years has allowed our children to find homogeneity within academics, discipline and geeky interests but heterogeneity in the stuff that doesn't matter, like ethnicity, economics, etc.

Ps 183 Robert L Stevenson 1

Posted April 03, 2015
This school is problematic, with the principal being the primary issue. She is arrogant and dismissive, & the way she runs the school is that it's "her way or the highway". She places children in classes with the best teachers only if the parents are involved w/ the PTA or are big donors. She has made a number of bad hires in recent years, & besides the 1 or 2 strong teachers in each grade, the rest are young, inexperienced, and just not that good. The principal is unresponsive to parent's concerns about their children, and she "attacks" if she feels there is any criticism about the teachers (as though every teacher were perfect!) The reasons the test scores are so high are:1) the teachers are told to "teach to the test", (as admitted by one of the teachers), 2) most kids are tutored privately,& 3)the majority come from highly educated families. Through/o every grade level, the teachers have a habit of not discussing a child's problems until the parents find out there are academic issues on their own,b/c the teachers don't want to address any real academic issues head-on. The PTA parents are extremely clique-ish. If you have a choice, go to the other schools in District 2.

Posted September 20, 2014
My child is finishing up at PS 183 this year. This school has exceeded our expectations in the curriculum, committed teachers and administration, and supportive parent community. Our child has thrived positively here and has prepared her well for when she starts middle school.

Ps 183 Robert L Stevenson 4

Posted September 02, 2014
PS.183 was an okay school. The reason why I'm giving it four stars is,because of some of the teachers I had. Such as my fourth grade teacher who was awesome, one of my first grade teacher who vey kind and helped me in class, and my fifth grade math teacher who was just extremely kind and funny. The problem was that I didn't fell very challenged, the only teacher who challenged my class was my fourth and first grade teacher, mainly my fourth grade teacher. Also, sometimes I felt like some of the teachers had given up on some of the students that showed bad behavior.Although sometimes PS.183 could be extremely fun and they had a pretty good environment. And, a lot of the teachers overall were okay or pretty good (the ones that weren't listed above). Overall, PS.183 was okay in some aspects and pretty good in others

Posted September 23, 2013
I was a student at this school and now that I have graduated I gotta say i had an amazing experience there. I learned a lot and had a great time. The teachers are mostly all very nice and if they aren't then they're strict but they teach a lot. I'm gonna miss this school. They have great activities that you can look forward and the students there are all very nice and good kids. I really recommend this school to whoever is looking for a place to put there child in. You won't regret it.

Posted January 27, 2013
Very strong school. The school reflects its neighborhood with many children of doctors, nurses and scientists, as well as other professionals who live on the upper east side. The principal is particularly strong. She began a program to improve math skills three years ago and it is paying strong dividends. Last year's focus was on better behavior; also very successful. The current focus is on better incorporating technology. Teachers are equally strong, especially among specialists. Fifth grade now "travels" from homeroom to dedicated subject matter teachers. That works well and prepares kids for middle school. A truly strong public school; perhaps the best in NYC.

Posted October 29, 2012
So many special things about PS 183, including extra instruction outside the homeroom class for K through 5 in art, music, computers, physical ed and science. The principal is a very forward thinking educator who regularly implements new teaching methods for her staff, provides regular professional development, and partners with high level math and literacy programs outside the school, to enhance the children's learning experience. We are very happy, and although the homework level has gotten challenging for our 3rd grader this year, it is certainly preparing him for the years to come. Lots of oversight and I find the teachers and principal very responsive to any questions we have. Very dedicated and involved PTA, as well.

Ps 183 Robert L Stevenson 3

Posted October 16, 2012
My child is in 4th grade and having a difficult time. They barely gave out homework in 3rd grade and are now moving at warp speed in all subjects so it's hard for the students to catch up. The majority of students have tutors b/c of the Terk math method they teach, which is hard to comprehend. They do not enforce spelling in 1st and 2nd grade so that the kids can focus on creativity, but they will come out bad spellers. The school decreased 4th grade to 3 classes of 31 students, so they are overcrowded. The noise level and commotion in class makes it hard to study. The kids overall are rowdy....I volunteer there so that is how I know. I vote to bring back traditional math practice and maintain smaller class sizes but not busing kids in.

Posted September 19, 2012
I loved this school was here k to 5? Nice teachers. Awesome gym. Best elementary school ever

Ps 183 Robert L Stevenson
419 East 66th Street, New York, NY  10065
Last modified Ps 183 Robert L Stevenson is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 183 Robert L Stevenson Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top