Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I graduated this year (2016), at P.S. 183. I love this school so much, but my only complaint is the fifth grade. I thought that the teachers were not experienced, and could not handle a wild fifth grade classroom. There was this one time when of our teachers were out because she was pregnant, and our other teacher was at a meeting, so they left us with this substitute, who was not prepared to teach a rowdy class. There was a student teacher that was leaving so the substitute insisted the class to write something nice to her on a post-it, even though everybody didn't want to. Then one of the aids and the student teacher got into a fight because the post-its are expensive and we are wasting them if we do that. While this was was happening the entire class was running around, climbing on chairs, anything, you name it, they were doing it. Another complaint about the fifth grade is that the children are extremely inconsiderate, and rude. They were cursing on the stairs, and teased children they thought were "nerds", or anyone who they thought wasn't on there level. I was even bullied on several occasions. They also excluded you from everything, or they made you feel that you are not as important, so you didn't deserve to be with them. Every day when I woke up I dreaded going to school because I would have to go through this ordeal all over again. Although I had a terrible experience, I have to say that K-4 was absolutely phenomenal. I am just sad I will not remember P.S. 183 as an amazing school anymore because of fifth grade.

I am a volunteer teacher at this school teaching literature to third graders. This is an enrichment program available to the students. The school seems impressive to me though the principal seems to have a short temper.

At first I was concerned about the size of the school and the number of classes, having moved my son from a much smaller school. But my fears were unfounded as it still feels like a tight community within each class. I have been so impressed by the breadth of learning, the range of activities and the progress that my son has made throughout his Kindergarten year. My experience has been that the teachers are successsful at tailoring lessons to the needs of each child which is especially necessary in Kindergarten as all children come in at different points in their development. My son loves his school, enjoys going to school each day and has learned so much more than I could have expected. PS 183 is a real gem.

I heartily disgree with the last rater. We have had a very good experience with PS 183 all through the grades, culminating with an acceptance into a highly selective middle school. I attribute this result in part to the principal, Tara, who is an effective leader, one who is not swayed by parental whims but rather the long term aims of providing a great education for our two children. I feel that her rising above some of the petty disputes only solidifies my support for her as she has shown that she has the primary interest of the students, and thereby the parents at heart. I have found that PS 183 has provided a wholistic education that has infused the arts into every program yet has resulted in children who happen to be quite mathematically gifted (not by accident but by purpose). The level of community that has been built in the space of a few short years has allowed our children to find homogeneity within academics, discipline and geeky interests but heterogeneity in the stuff that doesn't matter, like ethnicity, economics, etc.

This school is problematic, with the principal being the primary issue. She is arrogant and dismissive, & the way she runs the school is that it's "her way or the highway". She places children in classes with the best teachers only if the parents are involved w/ the PTA or are big donors. She has made a number of bad hires in recent years, & besides the 1 or 2 strong teachers in each grade, the rest are young, inexperienced, and just not that good. The principal is unresponsive to parent's concerns about their children, and she "attacks" if she feels there is any criticism about the teachers (as though every teacher were perfect!) The reasons the test scores are so high are:1) the teachers are told to "teach to the test", (as admitted by one of the teachers), 2) most kids are tutored privately,& 3)the majority come from highly educated families. Through/o every grade level, the teachers have a habit of not discussing a child's problems until the parents find out there are academic issues on their own,b/c the teachers don't want to address any real academic issues head-on. The PTA parents are extremely clique-ish. If you have a choice, go to the other schools in District 2.

My child is finishing up at PS 183 this year. This school has exceeded our expectations in the curriculum, committed teachers and administration, and supportive parent community. Our child has thrived positively here and has prepared her well for when she starts middle school.

PS.183 was an okay school. The reason why I'm giving it four stars is,because of some of the teachers I had. Such as my fourth grade teacher who was awesome, one of my first grade teacher who vey kind and helped me in class, and my fifth grade math teacher who was just extremely kind and funny. The problem was that I didn't fell very challenged, the only teacher who challenged my class was my fourth and first grade teacher, mainly my fourth grade teacher. Also, sometimes I felt like some of the teachers had given up on some of the students that showed bad behavior.Although sometimes PS.183 could be extremely fun and they had a pretty good environment. And, a lot of the teachers overall were okay or pretty good (the ones that weren't listed above). Overall, PS.183 was okay in some aspects and pretty good in others

I was a student at this school and now that I have graduated I gotta say i had an amazing experience there. I learned a lot and had a great time. The teachers are mostly all very nice and if they aren't then they're strict but they teach a lot. I'm gonna miss this school. They have great activities that you can look forward and the students there are all very nice and good kids. I really recommend this school to whoever is looking for a place to put there child in. You won't regret it.

Very strong school. The school reflects its neighborhood with many children of doctors, nurses and scientists, as well as other professionals who live on the upper east side. The principal is particularly strong. She began a program to improve math skills three years ago and it is paying strong dividends. Last year's focus was on better behavior; also very successful. The current focus is on better incorporating technology. Teachers are equally strong, especially among specialists. Fifth grade now "travels" from homeroom to dedicated subject matter teachers. That works well and prepares kids for middle school. A truly strong public school; perhaps the best in NYC.

So many special things about PS 183, including extra instruction outside the homeroom class for K through 5 in art, music, computers, physical ed and science. The principal is a very forward thinking educator who regularly implements new teaching methods for her staff, provides regular professional development, and partners with high level math and literacy programs outside the school, to enhance the children's learning experience. We are very happy, and although the homework level has gotten challenging for our 3rd grader this year, it is certainly preparing him for the years to come. Lots of oversight and I find the teachers and principal very responsive to any questions we have. Very dedicated and involved PTA, as well.

Last modified Ps 183 Robert L Stevenson is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.