/ School Profile

Posted September 20, 2014
My child is finishing up at PS 183 this year. This school has exceeded our expectations in the curriculum, committed teachers and administration, and supportive parent community. Our child has thrived positively here and has prepared her well for when she starts middle school.

Posted September 03, 2014
One of the best schools in Manhattan, PS 183 has been wonderful for our two children, each of whom have different needs and abilities. The teachers have varied slightly in quality from year to year, but overall they have been energetic, organized and willing to engage with parents. The teachers differentiate within classes, so some children will come back with more challenging homework. This is disconcerting to some, but in the end means that your child is working at a challenging level and remains engaged with the material. Emphasis is generally on broadening experience and knowledge instead of jumping ahead, which is important in learning the fundamentals of ELA, Math and Science for the early grades. Outside of the core curriculum, the arts are emphasized and well funded by both the school and the PTA. The art classes are excellent (my wife has been a volunteer and students' work has appeared at the Met's annual P.S. art exhibit), and music teaching includes a band (voluntary but most children are in it), and a chorus. The school has a small gym which is used for things like the annual school play as well as P.E. Track is offered on Monday mornings.

Ps 183 Robert L Stevenson 4

Posted September 02, 2014
PS.183 was an okay school. The reason why I'm giving it four stars is,because of some of the teachers I had. Such as my fourth grade teacher who was awesome, one of my first grade teacher who vey kind and helped me in class, and my fifth grade math teacher who was just extremely kind and funny. The problem was that I didn't fell very challenged, the only teacher who challenged my class was my fourth and first grade teacher, mainly my fourth grade teacher. Also, sometimes I felt like some of the teachers had given up on some of the students that showed bad behavior.Although sometimes PS.183 could be extremely fun and they had a pretty good environment. And, a lot of the teachers overall were okay or pretty good (the ones that weren't listed above). Overall, PS.183 was okay in some aspects and pretty good in others

Posted September 23, 2013
I was a student at this school and now that I have graduated I gotta say i had an amazing experience there. I learned a lot and had a great time. The teachers are mostly all very nice and if they aren't then they're strict but they teach a lot. I'm gonna miss this school. They have great activities that you can look forward and the students there are all very nice and good kids. I really recommend this school to whoever is looking for a place to put there child in. You won't regret it.

Posted January 27, 2013
Very strong school. The school reflects its neighborhood with many children of doctors, nurses and scientists, as well as other professionals who live on the upper east side. The principal is particularly strong. She began a program to improve math skills three years ago and it is paying strong dividends. Last year's focus was on better behavior; also very successful. The current focus is on better incorporating technology. Teachers are equally strong, especially among specialists. Fifth grade now "travels" from homeroom to dedicated subject matter teachers. That works well and prepares kids for middle school. A truly strong public school; perhaps the best in NYC.

Posted October 29, 2012
So many special things about PS 183, including extra instruction outside the homeroom class for K through 5 in art, music, computers, physical ed and science. The principal is a very forward thinking educator who regularly implements new teaching methods for her staff, provides regular professional development, and partners with high level math and literacy programs outside the school, to enhance the children's learning experience. We are very happy, and although the homework level has gotten challenging for our 3rd grader this year, it is certainly preparing him for the years to come. Lots of oversight and I find the teachers and principal very responsive to any questions we have. Very dedicated and involved PTA, as well.

Ps 183 Robert L Stevenson 3

Posted October 16, 2012
My child is in 4th grade and having a difficult time. They barely gave out homework in 3rd grade and are now moving at warp speed in all subjects so it's hard for the students to catch up. The majority of students have tutors b/c of the Terk math method they teach, which is hard to comprehend. They do not enforce spelling in 1st and 2nd grade so that the kids can focus on creativity, but they will come out bad spellers. The school decreased 4th grade to 3 classes of 31 students, so they are overcrowded. The noise level and commotion in class makes it hard to study. The kids overall are rowdy....I volunteer there so that is how I know. I vote to bring back traditional math practice and maintain smaller class sizes but not busing kids in.

Posted September 19, 2012
I loved this school was here k to 5? Nice teachers. Awesome gym. Best elementary school ever

Posted September 04, 2012
Excellent emphasis on the fundamentals. All of our teachers so far have provided differentiated education for our children. Art is excellent, Wan Ling is extremely good. Math is excellent, PS 183 has a specialized Math director for the school provides before-school additional opportunities for students with abilities/interest in Math.

Posted April 14, 2011
We had to move and we miss our school daily. My daughter learned so much and was very happy at this amazing school. We are in a different state now and even with a newer school building, more space, and fewer children per class PS 183 is light years ahead of my daughter's current school in TX. She was at PS183 for first and kinder and in the last month her 2nd grade class has caught up to where my daughter was academically at the end of first grade.

Ps 183 Robert L Stevenson
419 East 66th Street, New York, NY  10065
Last modified Ps 183 Robert L Stevenson is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 183 Robert L Stevenson Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top