Bad
Good

My daughter is attending Pre-K & Ms Bernie is her AWESOME teacher. I must say that I love her involvement & care that she has with the kids. Shes very personable, patient but not a push over. If she feels something isnt right she will address the issue. I am a first time parent & before I put my daughter in this school, my husband & I visited & re-searched a lot! She was the PRIME reason we decided that's where we wanted our child to be! The new principal, Ms. Swann has been very involved, even sent home plush toys with her personal signature for each of the pre-k kids. She greets the parents & kids outside the school with smiles & we have been there when she goes to check in with the class. The after school which is run by The Children Zone has some young girls working & some of them can be very immature & unprofessional to be honest but not all of them. I hope to have an even better experience when my child goes to Kindergarten. Parents do need to be more involved & care to educate themselves for the sake our their children so that we do not allow our children to miss out on our neighborhood schools. We make the difference that our children benefit from... Lets not forget that!

this school is horible myson has been through a lot of troubblethere are incedints that never get adressed do not put your child in this school

PS197 lost all its talent when Principal Wright allowed many of his best teachers to leave. I was told he had no choice but I find that hard to believe. The teachers remaining are the worst. The new prinicipal needs to get rid of them and bring back thee teachers who were actually getting the job done before the school became an F.

My son spent 4 months in this school. He began kindergarden in February 09 and was reading a book by April 09. The devotion his teacher had to teach was amazing. Plus I interacted with all PK, K, and 1st grade teachers and I was pleased with their patience and love toward the children. I cannot speak for the older classrooms. The teachers, the school guards, and especially the principles are amazing. Principle Wright is devoted to his work. He is making it his mission to make this school #1 in harlem.

This school is amazing. It is very structed. the parens are involved. The principal is the est, he is really conecerned about these kids.

PS 197 is a school of much improvement. However imperfect, it has enhanced its student forcus, teachers are dedicated to the education of their classes and the principal's motto is 'Students First'. It is a school that would benefit from more parent involvement, as all our schools would.

Although our school is not perfect, we do an outstanding job with very little parent support, children who are sometimes unmanageable, and the lack of resources. It's amazing how parents complain about the school but send their children every single day. If it's so terrible, immediate transfers should be made.

The children are unruly and disrespectful! Fights everyday, other children being victimized. The teachers are unmotivated. I heard a child tell his teacher that he didn't get a chance to finish his milk at lunchtime and the teacher said ' well, that's your problem' The office staff and principal are very rude! When you walk into the office everyone stares at you like you are bothering them and will speak to you like they don't have an education. I would not reccomend this school to any parent. We are in the process of making a transfer for next year.

I will like the school staff to improve security so the children are safer and to reduce fights.

Last modified Ps 197 John B Russwurm is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.