Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Ps 198 is a decent school. Great location , very diverse and a very safe area. I would say that PreK , K & up to 2nd grade are probably the best grades because of the teachers. ONLY because of the teachers. My son is currently in 1st grade and has learned how to read and write because of these teachers. I wish the school received more funding so the teachers have more to work with, and have more after school activities. I'm not sure what the PTA does at this school , I see them running around with coffees in their hands each day gossiping with one another. The PTA is always raising money for some ridiculous giveaway & events. It's NEVER something to benefit the teachers , or students education. At least not in the 3 years we have been here. I think the school needs a new administration right away if it wants to be a top 10 schools on the UES. The old principal left the school because of some unfortunate situation that occurred at the school last year with a preK student ( according to some ) but we "the parents" still don't know about what really happened with that and if it was even a thing with the school or the child's parents. The old assistant principal is in her place , and I hope they don't keep her because the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in this instance. The new acting principal is young and very unaware how to speak to parents and kids at times. She lacks empathy and talks to parents like we are all kindergartners, and isn't very effective at getting back to parents regarding concerns and even minor questions seem to annoy her. This school can be a top 10 school. It desperately needs a strong and caring Administration, DESPERATELY.

Ms. Kahn is a superb teach. She teaches with a firm but gentle hand. My son, who is in kindergarten, is reading at a first grade level. They also offer enrichment classes such as yoga, music, art and music.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are great at challenging the students that are advanced and helping those who need assistance!

The KG Teacher Ms. Pappas for the G and T program is superb. Perhaps one of the best there is. Teaches the kids with a very gentle but firm hand. Cannot say enough good things about her.

If you are looking into the G+T program, it is outstanding. The first grade G+T teacher was a 2014 Blackboard Award nominee. The Kindergarten G+T teacher exceeded our expectations as well. Besides the quality education my child is receiving, the PTA is great. Above all, the child loves the school!!!!

I had my reservations based on past reviews but when my child was accepted to the full-day preschool, I enrolled him. And, wow, this school blew my expectations out of the water! I was flabbergasted by the depth and diversity of what my child learned. His teacher was top-notch and the other parents cared about their children's development just as much as me. The enrichment programs (art, music, gym, media lab) are amazing. The administration is hands-on and nurturing and the PTA is blossoming. There were many opportunities to get involved and get to know the school, the staff and the fellow parents. My child loved going to school every day. He learned by leaps and bounds and I had absolutely no reservations when he was accepted into the school's gifted and talented program for kindergarten. As a testament to this school's strength, nearly all of my child's classmates will be attending PS 198 next year!

PS 198 G+T program is fantastic. The kindergarten teacher more than adequately prepared the kids for first grade. They were excellent readers and writers mid year. She was a fantastic teacher, as well as warm and nurturing. My child ran to school every day and was very excited to go to science class, art, and music as well. They have a great program there called PLAYWORKS, in which the coach teaches the kids games that help build self esteem at recess. The enrichments to the curriculum are wonderful. The PTA plans so many wonderful events for familes to enjoy. We are truly happy with the school!

PS198 is blossoming!!! My child is in Kindergarten and has progressed tremendously. Our neighbors have their children in a parochial school and he is doing the work infirst grade that my child is in Kindergarten. The Science teacher is phenomenal and really puts her all into teaching. The art teacher is very knowledgeable and has exposed the children to a variety of artists. Every single teacher and administrator takes their job seriosuly and gives 100 percent. The kids are all treated like family and the Principal takes the time out to greet the kids in the morning and will always take the time to speak with parents. The PTA is strong and plans plenty of activities throughout the year. My child loves her Yoga class and Music.

My son started Kindergarten this year and is BLOSSOMING. His teachers, the responsiveness of the administration and the overall school culture has exceeded my expectations. My son is reading and doing yoga and excited about his own learning. If you have reservations about this school based on past reviews, I suggest you take a school tour and talk to other parents.

School has a nice community of parents and children and excellent PTA. Really enjoying sending our child to 198 and pleased with the education our child is receiving.

Last modified Ps 198 Isador E Ida Straus is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.