/ School Profile

Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies 3

Posted September 12, 2014
NYC Lab School lost originality, drive and academic rigor once the founding directors and original teachers left. Now it is a "regular" school, with mediocre offerings, particularly in Foreign Language and Science. I had all 3 children attend in a 15 year span and I saw the gradual decline. The magic of the school was palpable and the students were interested in being part of a creative environment. Now, its 7th place ranking is reflective of the second rate leadership and third rate currriculum.

Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies 5

Posted April 27, 2013
I have a junior at Lab, and I couldn't be happier with the education he is receiving. The teachers at Lab are better than my professors in college many years ago. They care about the kids, and do their best to encourage each and every child. Lab teaches the kids to soar bravely in our complex world, which is perfect. Some schools only care about ranking and AP classes. I hope my younger child ends up here also!!

Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies 5

Posted October 27, 2012
My daughter is a freshman at LAB High School. She came from a small academically rigorous private school. She was well prepared, but the high school transition was challenging. She is thriving at LAB. The teachers are engaging, smart, and in-tune.The curriculum is insightful, demanding, yet inspiring. She has made lovely friends and I trust the adminstration 100% with her education and social prowess.I made the best decision I could have!

Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies 4

Posted August 15, 2012
I graduated Lab two years ago but I must say I miss it terribly. I entered Lab in 2006 as the only student from my middle school on the upper west side but was welcomed with open arms and am still friends with the same people I met my first day. Though my first two years were utterly amazing filled with projects like learning about social issues in Romeo & Juliet that we later turned into raps, my creative and amazing education came to a halt my junior year when the principal decided to take out the Junior Internship program in which students would gain real world experience and get to know what fields they were interested in and created a curriculum called Junior and Senior Inquiry in which we were supposed to write a research paper (which we were required to do as seniors anyways so that was a waste of time.) All and all I personally believe the school went down hill when former co-principals Rob and Sheila left and I honestly wish they would've stayed longer. I chose to go to Lab because of the creative and fun atmosphere, I actually enjoyed learning in. Instead my final years of high school was probably like any other city school who's reputation isn't as pristine as Lab's.

Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies 4

Posted June 28, 2012
I am a student here. I consider Lab to be my second home! However, It is a school where you can easily sink or float. If your child is hardworking and driven, then they will undoubtfully succeed with a rich education and strong support. If your child decides to slack off, then they will suffer. The school will match what you have to offer. Lab's strengths lie in its teachers, particularly those of humanities departments. With emphasis on drawing connections, collaboration, and other life skills, we learn how to really think and comprehend, rather than just memorize. Additionally, Lab's extra curricular programs are stellar. If you participate and hone your personal interests, you'll make fantastic friends, be part of a family. Nearly every student participates in an extracurricular of some kind. Also, if you don't see it there, make it! The fact that creating your own club or program is so easy is really encouraging. It's true, Lab's detriments lie in its size. Classes can vary by the semester, wonderful teachers are laid off due to budget cuts, and we students suffer from the irregularities. But, like anything, you need to know what's right for. Lab is perfect for me!

Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies 1

Posted May 24, 2012
This school is full of juvenile delinquents. My son has had nothing but problems since his first day at this school and will not be returning next year. I wish we had never applied. Had the academics at least been up to par, it may have made a difference but it seems the teachers have given up because the majority of the kids are just not interested in their studies. The administration spends more time on discipline than the curriculum. Do yourself and your child a favor and do not list this school as a high school choice.

Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies 2

Posted April 29, 2012
I graduated from the lab school. I am now a senior in college. Lab is supposed to be one of the better public schools in the city but honestly the education I received was average, if that. Looking at the other reviews here I am surprised to see people claiming discrimination. While it is true that the school is rife with nepotism I never saw anyone discriminated against racially. Type casting is an issue though and if you are perceived as being anything less than a teachers pet you aren't really given much of a chance. The teachers were hit or miss. I had some really great and dedicated ones that left lasting impressions. Others you wondered how they even had a job at all. Ultimately, taking into account the facilities, neighborhood, and student body you are getting your basic NYC public school education which isn't really saying much. Looking back I had a lot a very valuable experiences at Lab but very very few of them came by way of education. I hope this helps future parent's and students. I can only speak from my own personal experience (I know classmates who loved Lab) but I'm being as honest as I possibly can.

Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies 3

Posted March 05, 2012
I recently got accepted to this school and was wondering if it should be the school that people should go into. From the fact that the students and parents, well most students and parents think this is a bad school but the teachers think this school is a good school. Oh and also I have a question whether or not this school have a masjid or mosque for you to do you religion. Is there a place to do it? Is it planned to be made? Please help.

Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies 1

Posted November 16, 2010
I agree with some of the comments, people are making on here. This school ranks students quite unfairly, as I have noticed students who come well prepared from their old school, including those coming in with honors and scholarships to private schools, yet are given low grades when they arrive to this school. Many people have noticed some form of discrimination, in regards to the way some children are treated, which clearly reflects upon the grade the student receives. It is hard as a parent to see your child working very hard, but finding out that your child is being treated unfairly as opposed to others who perform at a lower standard yet receive higher grades. I hope to see educational authorities taking note of this ongoing situation, and hopefully help resolve this problem.

Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies 0

Posted October 19, 2010
Great Faculty who really care. This school runs because of all their extra work

Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies
333 West 17th Street, New York, NY  10011
Last modified Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Nyc Lab High School For Collaborative Studies Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top